Is the NRL competition rigged?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Rigged is probably too strong a word. "Contrived" would describe it. They don't cheat outright but under the cover of smoothing out a game, making some teams more marketable it is definitely contrived. An example of a contrived result from another sport :- years ago i was watching the Bathurst 1000. The guy leading was doing well and would have probably won. The organizers after ignoring thevrule for years decided to give him a pit penalty for not wearing a fireproof Headwear under his helmet. Everyone else did it and had done it for years but at that moment the authorities cracked down. They did not want him to win and found a rule to prosecute him over. Refs are human but how can it be that these rules are not enforced consistently with all the technology at hand.

Now you're getting into my territory. And sorry to say but you are 100% wrong.

The driver at Bathurst was Marcos Ambrose and it as 2003. Balaclava's under the helmet had only been made compulsory that year and Ambrose was found to not be wearing his (it was actually in his pocket. Yes race driving suits have pockets). The penalty he got was deserved.

Anyone else who did not wear a balaclava under their helmet prior to 2003 did so at their own risk, but it wasn't compulsory in touring cars in Australia until then. So to say that they didn't want him to win and found a rule to prosecute him over is utter bull.

Last edited:
There are lots of bad decisions by the Refs its' a tough gig, but as they say where there is smoke there is fire and there is way too much smoke, I believe the game is rigged as much as they (NRL Decision makers) can get away with.

Bellamy's Bastards get away with murder because the NRL want the game to be successful against the Ping Pong, Smith is a dirty player I don't care what anyone else says...… The attitude the storm players have is disgraceful they don't care who they hurt or how they cheat the coach even encourages it I believe..

We're watching TOO MANY games decided by the refs, I've can't believe how obvious it has become....

But I've loved the game since the seventies and I love Manly so I try to ignore it.... I just want to watch a good fair hard game no matter who is playing but their getting fewer and further apart these days... Let's hope when Greenslime goes we might get someone that will straighten this mess up... :tmi::whew:

Anyway I hope everyone is happy and healthy and has a great weekend

While the CEOs performance is measured by the games profitability the integrity of the competition will always be at risk. It may not be this CEO, but there is a definite incentive to appeal to certain markets, push certain teams and keep certain influential alliances.

To reinstate the integrity of the competition, the game needs to establish clear fairness guidelines based on fan engagement, not corporate appeal. If they do this I am confident the game will once again stand for itself, the product will be superior and the rest will fall into place. Not sure if it’s possible under the current model though.

They could start by giving an even amount of free to air games to each team for at least the first hald of the season.

The failure to show replays, and ignoring of blatant fouls/discrepancies has been going on for years. There are certain camera angles barely used anymore, and it’s not because of technological advances - suspiciously, it’s the wider angles that give you an indicator of onside/offside. Everything’s zoomed right in on the ruck so you can’t tell if the defence are actually repeatedly inside the 10 - you can only guess because no human covers ground that quickly. And that’s been the case for at least 5 years.
You’re right! I’m pretty sure the Gaga’s pass was forward, but they only showed one weird replay of the try.

The recent Warriors-Storm referee debacle has even high profile ex players commentating for the various media outlets asking questions only posed by parochial Rugby League supporters in the past. Is the NRL manipulating the game through favouritism not only in their salary cap, TPA, no fault interpretations but also through instructions to their referees.

This latest 'mistake' minutes from the end of the game, parallel's the mind boggling incidents in the Manly-Saints game the previous weekend. Has the game been usurped by money people out to ensure their team stays at the head of the pack? Would the 'no fault' law have been introduced if a player such as Smith, Cronk, Mitchell been the accused persons. Would seriously controversial referee decisions be made which would lead to the Storm, Roosters or even the Broncs losing a match. Would teams like the Roosters and Melbourne be seriously checked for salary cap and TPA breaches in the present environment. Questions that are increasingly being asked.
The Nrl has been rigged since the grand rort of 2013 against us. That was the biggest and most obvious rort iv ever seen. Iv watched that game 7 times! Different rules for each team... then the massive forward pass to minichello from baloney. The fact the roosters only conceded 2 penalties all game after being the most penalized side of 2013. Complete rort because we ruined the nrls big souffs v rorters gf when we beat souffs and the refs in the semi. Dce winning clive Churchill topped it off. Origin was rigged for years as well. Anyone remember the inglis rebound try or the Hodges obstruction try. Fmd the nrl is pathetic

Where is the Broncos "leg up" ?

You must be joking, right ?

Constant FTA games with 7 day turnarounds, unless its Origin time, then they magically play on a Sunday afternoon to avoid a 2 day turnaround.

Massive TPAs. The Thouroughbreds.

News Ltd owned for years resulting in untold positive press, HQ decisions, etc.

20 year no compete clause after the SL war.

A seemingly complete blind eye by the local press to any misbehaviour by players.

This is before you want to talk about anyt perceived bias on the actual footy field.

Yeah but apart from that NOTHING! We better start being nicer to them of they might start another Super League.

Last edited:
Forward passes.. Annersley with his weekly video review, showed examples with balls floating one two or three meters forward and how it is almost impossible to tell if it came backwards out of the hands or not. I would love him to explain how they do occasionally call some passes forward.. Make the ball have to go backwards. No backwards out of the hands stuff. The vid ref can then totally become involved

Pretty simple, NRL needs new leadership, fans are sick of a 'product' and instead want a rugby league competition.
Someone like this bloke would be an improvement.

WWE-Busts-Cover.jpg

I don’t think it is rigged in the sense that there is a predetermined outcome, otherwise the NRL would have gifted Parra a title to help it win the “Battle of the West”.
That might happen this year. New stadium being touted to bring fans back to the game. What a story too from wooden spooners to premiers. I would throw up but what a good script for the NRL screenplay writers.

The Broncos only made the finals last season due to a string of dubious decisions in tight games that got them home. If you were to go back and watch just their games from last season over again, I'm sure you could be convinced that there is more than luck at play. I forget if it was the season before or 2016 where they played the Titans in the first round of the finals and the refs were so atrocious they destroyed the Titans in the first half with penalties and dubious try/no-try decisions all in favour of the Broncos.

I for one cannot stand watching the game anymore and generally only watch the Manly games. When I do, I prepare myself to feel like we are going to be up against the refs as well. As mentioned, we are not one of the favoured teams.

The failure to show replays, and ignoring of blatant fouls/discrepancies has been going on for years. There are certain camera angles barely used anymore, and it’s not because of technological advances - suspiciously, it’s the wider angles that give you an indicator of onside/offside. Everything’s zoomed right in on the ruck so you can’t tell if the defence are actually repeatedly inside the 10 - you can only guess because no human covers ground that quickly. And that’s been the case for at least 5 years.

Definitely, and on the flip side, whether it be Bunker replays or just tv replays, when we have a review going they over kill the replay and angles over again and again, almost looking for the slightest infringement to bag us. So damn obvious.

Just last year, a certain player was exonerated for what was a blatant foul as written in the rules for such an action...

Now.. the NRL’s pet journalists, within hours of said incident, started a narrative regarding his innocence. By the time he faced the judiciary, all and sundry had him odds on to get off, and based this on the “fact” that he hit him with his chest and pec and that this alone should be enough to exonerate him without even playing the “nit his go”, “future immortal” and “it’s his last game give him a break” cards...

Player gets off, plays in the GF, and karma has the last laugh...

No bookie would place odds on that happening with any other club or any other player. Period

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8