[Resurrected] Is gifty gone?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
globaleagle said:
This time last year...most on this forum were saying cut gifty loose.

g'day all,thats because his form wasn,t even reserve grade standard and wouldn,t of been tolerated by players of lesser standing.
cheers mike

interesting to see Watmough's interview on 9 about Gift. He basically said Glenn is upset at not receiving any offers and is heartbroken that other players are getting deals extended when already at the club (DCE and Foran?) Could split the group if he doesnt get an offer. This is huge for Manly.

Cant we just cut Horo Wolfie and a few others to keep him.. fringe players who we can replace. Its just sad to see Gift leave. Seeing Kite leave was bad enough. I wonder what the club are trying to do.. or are they secretly happy not to offer a contract? I heard he is the true 'captain' of the club and everyone loves him.

All sounds a bit suss to me. Why would Toovs go on Fox and say they are working through a deal with his manager then the players front the media and say that Gift is being shafted. Someone is spinning some BS and I don't think it is Toovs. I think the players are spinning up some media hype in the hope that it draws attention to the holes in the cap and something gets done about it.

I know I'm clutching at straws, but this sounds a little fishy to me. These guys are really tight and it wouldn't surprise me if they are having a laugh at the hysteria they are building up. I hope I'm right.

manlyfan76 said:
How many years do people think Gift will play for? I can't see him playing past 2016 but wouldn't surprise me if 2015 saw him and his Brother both retire. No inside info just what I think.

I reckon both brothers will have revised contracts for 2015 and 2016 and then play another 2 years together in England.

No way Snake's hammy will last another five years :(

Maybe if Gifty accepted a one year extension, Manly could budget better.

Last year, Snake insisting on four years was what drew out his negotiations.

Wonder if Killer is contracted beyond 2014?

If Jason King were to hang up the boots at the end of the year and become a lawyer then I'd imagine that would free up enough space to keep gifty?

Yeah the whole situation is a little weird to me as well.

I get that manly may have not yet tabled gift an offer yet, but surely he would know that manly are working on an offer. Gift would know that there is an offer being tabled.

So unless gift is really stressed about contracting his future, I don't see why manly waiting to put their offer up yet is an issue.

Its just weird.

My view is that the player managers are stirring the pot on this with the media to extract maximum value from the club - that and those tactics by managers is not weird

The club needs to resolve and get a little creative.

Gift has probably got 2, maybe 3, years left in him and then he'll be ready to give it away.

Organise something post playing so he knows he'll be part of the club going forward. As has been mentioned elsewhere, give the guy a coaching job. If Willo was a soccer coach he would've been given the flick ages ago.

Surely Stewart could do no worse than him.

This is Manly. We don't operate like the 15 other soulless clubs. The guy still has plenty to offer in my uneducated opinion so we need to keep him.

The managers always want the player who's contract is up to be signing the biggest deal possible. It's called their yearly commission. They don't care about clubs n they know that if it means their next player due a contract can't get good money at that club Brisbzne can afford 1 million.

Unfortunately I think the problem is the club will offer him what they think he's worth, not what he can get elsewhere.

I don't believe that the club has not been talking to him.

globaleagle said:
This time last year...most on this forum were saying cut gifty loose.

He hasn't had a good season since 2011 due to injury.

The last line in Dean Ritchie's article today :

"Manly fans are very passionate and Brett and Glenn are two of the all-time favourites from the fans who pay their money and go to Brookvale'' , Manly life member and former forward Peter Peters said.

captaincarpo said:
Heard a rumour this afternoon that gifty is reportedly very annoyed and seeking a release to join the dragqueens this year, and the club are on the verge of granting him a release. From a source with links to the dragqueens.
Many rumours around, I just heard he'll be playing for the Roosters tonight.

Eagles2nv said:
Its just weird.
Maybe the players got together and planned to create rumours of disharmony throughout the media but are sitting back having a laugh while preparing to barbecue the chickens.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Many rumours around, I just heard he'll be playing for the Roosters tonight.
Playing the violin for them as they cry in defeat.

bones said:
The last line in Dean Ritchie's article today :

"Manly fans are very passionate and Brett and Glenn are two of the all-time favourites from the fans who pay their money and go to Brookvale'' , Manly life member and former forward Peter Peters said.

Zorro has been unmasked :p

I trust that Manly continues to make the decisions in retention that is best for our continued success :cool:

That redundancy payout could have been better spent augmenting Gifty's contract :shy:

Joey, on last night's Footy Show said that there is no issue.

Fox Sterlo Program also had a funny, insightful piece on Foz and Hoz. Worth checking it out online :)

manlyfan76 said:
The managers always want the player who's contract is up to be signing the biggest deal possible. It's called their yearly commission. They don't care about clubs n they know that if it means their next player due a contract can't get good money at that club Brisbzne can afford 1 million.

Player managers always cop it but to be honest, that is their job!

They leverage clubs against each other to get the best deal for their client.

Now that's not to say the client will always take the highest offer, and the agent may not even reccomend the highest offer, but they will, as sure as hell stretch every penny they can out of each of the clubs making offer.

I don't begrudge them, thats the system!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6