Is gallop doing a good job

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
On the telegraph site under the story NRL in spin about strategy, they have a poll running so readers can vote on gallop

I wouldn't be doing my civic duty if i didn't bring this to everyone attention

here is the link, As passionate fans of the game i presume you would want a chance to contribute

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/david-gallop-and-the-nrl-on-notice-to-take-action/story-e6frep5x-1226323216205

He's not doing a bad job. The game seems well managed considering so many competing and conflicting interests, and challenges like competing codes etc.

But I think some people, like with the govt, just like to have a whine. If everything they do is not exactly approved by them then they are, entirely, rubbish.

Gallop does deserve some stick for the handling of the snake incident, but alls well that ended well. Gallop will have learned we hope. So I give him a pass. It must be a tough job.

weev said:
He's not doing a bad job. The game seems well managed considering so many competing and conflicting interests, and challenges like competing codes etc.

But I think some people, like with the govt, just like to have a whine. If everything they do is not exactly approved by them then they are, entirely, rubbish.

Gallop does deserve some stick for the handling of the snake incident, but alls well that ended well. Gallop will have learned we hope. So I give him a pass. It must be a tough job.

That's your opinion and that's cool, but have you considered this

He seriously undersold the TV rights to the tune of hundreds of millions to his former employer

Has given the networks complete control with the draw and never questions them when they don't live up to there side of the draw, eg giving ch 9, 3 weeks instead of 5 to allocate games near finals

He failed to take up action against betting agencies fleecing the game costing The NRL up to 15 mill a year, when he was advised to do so.

All but 2 clubs make a loss under the guidelines and funding policies administered under his leadership

Scrapped the reserve grade competition depleting all clubs depth and quality of the competition, due to funding issues which he is directly responsible for

Had a TV deal which overlapped the deal with the clubs who actually provide the product,

The NRL and the clubs are a partnership but very rarely does it appear that way

Has lost the confidence of nearly all clubs

Didn't man up to Melbourne after stripping there comps, with the brookie brawl the first time he saw melb live after doing so

Never oversaw the return of the NRL trophies by melb, at one stage they were lost, have they evre been returned, who knows

Allowed News ltd to do their own independent audit of the melb scandal, which allows them to take action as they see fit and release the information as they see fit as to not implicate New ltd that is

Since receiving the audit , nothing has been done

As news ltd also owned broncos , an audit should have been ordered against them as well, but never was

Mate i could go on and on as i do and do, over and over but while he is a calm speaker, who chooses his words wisely , he is a lawyer, they all do. The game is in financial peril and he is the man responsible for the games financial health

Weev, the man was originally the in-house lawyer for News Ltd responsible for the super league contracts. He was then appointed by News Ltd to the CEO role as a part of the 'peace agreement between News and Packer. No search for a more suitable candidate was attempted. Now he has a four year deal, again negotiated by News Ltd as a condition for them to exit the game. Again no other suitable candidates were pursued. Why the protection if he's the most suitable candidate for this job? Surely the game should advertise and interview other candidates. Not done. Gallop is given a free ride on his 700K horse. Imo he's done very little for the game and missed many opportunities to progress it.

I would never judge a man's business acumen based on my opinion of him as a person, fortunately on this occasion they both go hand in hand.

A fish stink's from the head down.!

weev said:
Gallop does deserve some stick for the handling of the snake incident, but alls well that ended well. Gallop will have learned we hope.

That would want to be a very big tree that stick. Dont know how you could possibly say that it ended well. For who ? Not Brett Stewart thats for sure.

I might have accepted that i cant change the situation but I wont forget it either. Gallops conduct was unconscionable.

My main objection to Gallop is that he is NOT a front man (no, I'm not suggesting he's a backdoorer). He just is not the right person to be the face and voice of the most dynamic sport in Australia.
He is dull, and more suited to the funeral industry. I call him 'The Undertaker'.
He may be good in an advisory/technical role, but let's have someone with some spark doing the media interviews and looking and sounding like they are enthusiastic about our sport.

I would not have a clue if he is doing a good job or not. There definitely seems to be some issues but I don't know the politics in play or road blocks he could come up against. The game has improved in the last 10 years, has it improved as much as it should of? Probably not. If he can get good dollars on the next tv deal it will be a good start to is new contract.

1000 people is a legitimate sample size.........seems the people have spoken

jbb/james said:
weev said:

That's your opinion and that's cool, but have you considered this

He seriously undersold the TV rights to the tune of hundreds of millions to his former employer

Has given the networks complete control with the draw and never questions them when they don't live up to there side of the draw, eg giving ch 9, 3 weeks instead of 5 to allocate games near finals

He failed to take up action against betting agencies fleecing the game costing The NRL up to 15 mill a year, when he was advised to do so.

All but 2 clubs make a loss under the guidelines and funding policies administered under his leadership

Scrapped the reserve grade competition depleting all clubs depth and quality of the competition, due to funding issues which he is directly responsible for

Had a TV deal which overlapped the deal with the clubs who actually provide the product,

The NRL and the clubs are a partnership but very rarely does it appear that way

Has lost the confidence of nearly all clubs

Didn't man up to Melbourne after stripping there comps, with the brookie brawl the first time he saw melb live after doing so

Never oversaw the return of the NRL trophies by melb, at one stage they were lost, have they evre been returned, who knows

Allowed News ltd to do their own independent audit of the melb scandal, which allows them to take action as they see fit and release the information as they see fit as to not implicate New ltd that is

Since receiving the audit , nothing has been done

As news ltd also owned broncos , an audit should have been ordered against them as well, but never was

Mate i could go on and on as i do and do, over and over but while he is a calm speaker, who chooses his words wisely , he is a lawyer, they all do. The game is in financial peril and he is the man responsible for the games financial health

A convincing argument. I really wanted to see the glass as half full, which it is (game is popular, footy is awesome, manly still exists), just the other half has a putrid news ltd smell about it.

Jatz Crackers said:
weev said:
Gallop does deserve some stick for the handling of the snake incident, but alls well that ended well. Gallop will have learned we hope.

That would want to be a very big tree that stick. Dont know how you could possibly say that it ended well. For who ? Not Brett Stewart thats for sure.

It ended well in the fact that Stewart is not in prison. If he was convicted (and here I am not even thinking about whether he is innocent or guilty, am only considering the machinations of the justice system), then Gallop would have done the right thing in some people's eyes.

It ended well - he's still playing footy.

I'll agree the stick could be more baseball bat-like.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6