Is Des Losing his Mojo?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We Manly supporters probably know Des as well as anyone. Hence we were not surprised by what we saw at Canterbury.

What we know:

He's had two clubs in a row that got into trouble with back ended contracts. In each case he said he had a way out but we saw neither. He has seemingly been stopped from doing these deals, not the least reason being that we had cap restraints when he arrived. We don't appear to be very good with the brown paper bags so talent management may be an issue.

He is loyal to a fault with his players (hello T Rex). We had years of screaming for change in his first tenure (hello Jamie Buhrer) and saw Dogs fans screaming for the same. The question becomes was he just lucky that his first Manly side ended up full of superstars or did he know all along?

He is extremely reluctant to blood new talent which is the same issue as not changing his sides but it does lead to losing talent - see Bulldogs for this.

What we don't know is:

If he is still or ever was a great attacking coach. The Dogs had an atrocious attack, certainly at the end and the constant refrain we hear about Manly is where do the points come from without the exceptional individual talent of Tommy T? In the back of my mind I keep hearing (I should see someone, I know) the quote from Watmough about how Glenn Stewart used to come up with all the attacking plays. At the time I thought it was sour grapes but now I'm beginning to wonder.

How much he is willing to move with the times. His assistant is Cartwright and recruitment is still Crusher. Bellamy is always mentoring young assistants who, not only learn from him but, do doubt, bring fresh ideas. And, again, Bulldogs fans were questioning what Crusher was bringing to the club from which he was eventually sacked.

How much he was affected by his whole, devastating experience at the Bulldogs. Did it change him, make him less confident, make him more obstinate ... I don't know.

Obviously his record speaks for itself. We performed well above expectations last year and we've been decimated with injuries this year. I agree with Bear that it's very dangerous to think of anyone as a messiah (not sure that he was ever a naughty little boy though) and it's always worth trying to have an objective look.
I’ve been mates with Crusher for years and well remember when the Dogs poached Hasler and him and Grant Mayer the CEO ( I think it was him at the time ) said to me “ thank **** for that because we were left with the good one ( Dave Warwick).

The accusation at the time was Crusher was lazy and couldn’t be bothered doing the hard yards preferring to send Warwick to all the out of the way places to look for talent.

I can make no such comment today as I no longer have anything to do with the club but I did wonder at the time why we signed Noel again.

Last edited:
I’ve been mates with Crusher for years and well remember when the Dogs poached Hasler and him and Grant Mayer the CEO ( I think it was him at the time ) said to me “ thank **** for that because we were left with the good one ( Dave Warwick).

The accusation at the time was Crusher was lazy and couldn’t be bothered doing the hard yards preferring to send Warwick to all the out of the way places to look for talent.

I can make no such comment today as I no longer have anything to do with the club but I did wonder at the time why we signed Noel again.
I can't help thinking: why are most of us thinking of recruiting players when we, supposedly, have some of the brightest young talent in the comp?
Are we going to put further roadblocks in the way of these players making their First Grade debut?
Des is already a master of the 'block play'.

IN this thread: Des is losing his mojo

In that 'other' thread: Des is a genius for wanting cat Foran back.

I know nothing to be honest.My opinion of Phythian is he is calm,a good decision maker,strong defender and a good passing and kicking game.My thoughts are that he would be the best fit to work with DCE.
He would need to be promoted to our last remaining spot in the practise squad(we have 35 contracted and can sign one more) and would then be available(can play dummy half too)
Dylan is a bit of a nutcase off the field but a good skilful player on it. Not as crazy as his knights days but can get loose.Seen a lot of him.Was great at the bears with Fogarty( now Titans half). Looked pretty good in the trial. Talent wise he probably has Cust covered and eats Croker.Id love to see him get a crack.

I can’t recall of one single occasion under the next SuperCoach where we won in the fashion they did last night. Whenever the game was teetering on a cliff edge you just knew the team would eventually fall over.

You know, I raised this issue quite some time ago and for good reason, because I could see a trend that disturbed me about Des and his selection method. Some agreed, some panned, but its now been seven games since Turbo has been unavailable and we've managed to struggle 2 winning games out of seven at 108 for and 184 against.

I know Turbo is an outstanding player, but to rely on him for wins is folly. If we didn't have options I'd understand but it seems Des is playing a holding strategy with his existing players and an occasional addition. But what he is selecting is just not up to the task when there are other potentially promising options being ignored.

I could handle that if we didn't have options but we have and they haven't been used except for injuries. Des had the opportunity of bringing young Hoppa into the Warriors game but obviously got cold and wet feet. The result. Yet another loss. Of course some would say Hoppa would not have made the difference. I disagree. The added spark may just have got us over the line. But where was the spark to do that?

Sorry Des. I have the greatest respect for you but your selections, as alluded to by Peters, have been very ordinary. I assume you want to hold your coaching position. Time to be the coach you were in the mid 2000s. I know I'm a novice as far as coaching issues, but one issue I do know all too well, is that you are judged by performance, no matter your background.

You know, I raised this issue quite some time ago and for good reason, because I could see a trend that disturbed me about Des and his selection method. Some agreed, some panned, but its now been seven games since Turbo has been unavailable and we've managed to struggle 2 winning games out of seven at 108 for and 184 against.

I know Turbo is an outstanding player, but to rely on him for wins is folly. If we didn't have options I'd understand but it seems Des is playing a holding strategy with his existing players and an occasional addition. But what he is selecting is just not up to the task when there are other potentially promising options being ignored.

I could handle that if we didn't have options but we have and they haven't been used except for injuries. Des had the opportunity of bringing young Hoppa into the Warriors game but obviously got cold and wet feet. The result. Yet another loss. Of course some would say Hoppa would not have made the difference. I disagree. The added spark may just have got us over the line. But where was the spark to do that?

Sorry Des. I have the greatest respect for you but your selections, as alluded to by Peters, have been very ordinary. I assume you want to hold your coaching position. Time to be the coach you were in the mid 2000s. I know I'm a novice as far as coaching issues, but one issue I do know all too well, is that you are judged by performance, no matter your background.
Fair comments I must say.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8