Is Des Losing his Mojo?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Will, few if any are here to disrespect Des, and what he has done for the club and the game.

However, a point must be made about idolising people, placing them on a pedestal, imbuing them with qualities icon like, even God like. Heroes are not perfect. In fact if they were they would not be heroes, because they would have nothing to risk. A hero is one who rises above their own vulnerable state and shows courage in the face of adversity. And without recognising that they are just people, with flaws, doubts, failings, biases etc, we are not seeing the person for who he or she is. We are not showing respect, we are showing indiscriminate adulation. That's a serious error, because it places someone beyond even their reach.

I recently have been watching a programme on Washington, one adulated so greatly by Americans that they named their capital after him. But the programme also showed his failings, his doubts, his luck at crisis periods, his flaws, and after seeing how human he was, I came to truly respect the man, not because of his achievements, but because he was a flawed human, like us all, who showed a courage in facing adversity, few of us will ever have to face. But he was flawed. He was human.

And similarly Des is human with flaws, mistakes, biases, doubts. We may admire his marvellous achievements, but it doesn't make him perfect, and if we look not only at his achievements, we don't really see the man. Looking also at his flaws, we are seeing the person, who is human, not a god. And that I respect. I may question his actions, motives, his perspective, because he's not perfect. But its because I do that, that I am respecting him as a hero, flawed, but achieving despite those human qualities.
Thats a bit deep for me... But I get the vibe :)

Maybe Des hasn't given up on the season,maybe he still thinks we can make the finals and go further.Having watched the games I don't believe putting Hopoate at fullback or Schuster to 6 or the bench increases our chances of winning a game,so what is the point of blooding youngsters if you still believe you are going to turn it around?
I get that people are feeling frustrated and that means people want changes and I am not saying that either view is correct,I am just pontificating what Des might be thinking to answer your question....
Have you seen enough of Albert to judge what his ability under the high ball is,whether his positional play needs a lot of work to play at NRL level,etc...?I have not and can't make that call and would think that Des and Brett Stewart maybe have and have decided not to do it and not to rush a guy with 2 reconstructions back,maybe he is not physically where they want him yet?(I don't know...)Maybe they don't view him as a fullback and view him as a centre,maybe they don't want to promote a guy who may be leaving on a mormon mission?
As to Schuster,I get why people want him in the team and he probably wants to play himself,maybe if the losses continue we will see him named,Des does it his way and that is how it is I guess...

Smokin, I've seen enough of those filling in at 1 and 6 to feel its not working. I deal in realities not hopes. The results speak for themselves. Of course if you think continuing to lose is an option worth pursuing rather than taking a few risks, well that's your right. Losing is hard to break out of and it takes some innovative thinking to break the cycle in any area of life.

My profession required quick thinking and addressing issues in as constructive a manner as I could. There was no place for prognostication, because by that time the issue was lost. Now maybe what I did doesn't apply completely to Rugby League and you probably know a damned lot more about the game than I do. But when it comes to human nature, that's my skill and when I see people acting in a particular way that seems contrary to what seems logical, I ask questions.

You may think I'm exaggerating on that point. Fair enough. But over my career I probably got know people I dealt with on a depth most people would be lucky to know their best friend. And that was at least 8000 individuals. I'm no better than anyone else but my career taught me a lot about how to read people, and guess what I'm reading at the moment.

Smokin, I've seen enough of those filling in at 1 and 6 to feel its not working. I deal in realities not hopes. The results speak for themselves. Of course if you think continuing to lose is an option worth pursuing rather than taking a few risks, well that's your right. Losing is hard to break out of and it takes some innovative thinking to break the cycle in any area of life.

My profession required quick thinking and addressing issues in as constructive a manner as I could. There was no place for prognostication, because by that time the issue was lost. Now maybe what I did doesn't apply completely to Rugby League and you probably know a damned lot more about the game than I do. But when it comes to human nature, that's my skill and when I see people acting in a particular way that seems contrary to what seems logical, I ask questions.

You may think I'm exaggerating on that point. Fair enough. But over my career I probably got know people I dealt with on a depth most people would be lucky to know their best friend. And that was at least 8000 individuals. I'm no better than anyone else but my career taught me a lot about how to read people, and guess what I'm reading at the moment.
Maybe so Bear,but we went into the Sharkies game with a shot at going into the top 4 with a win,we have lost 3 and now people want answers and changes.
Maybe it is me but I have worked in many different jobs,some required quick thinking to not lose opportunities,but some also required having to have and show commitment and belief in individuals when others had given up on them.
The Dragons season was over a few weeks back but now they have got their Mojo back.Maybe my stubborness is a fault,maybe we won't get our Mojo back and maybe we will,but I would back my players and give them the opportunity to get it back.What I am reading on this site is panic and lack of resolve......
I am happy with how Cust is going at 6,I see no reason to not continue with him,as for fullback,yeah we need more.You want to throw Hopoate in,but maybe there is more going on than we know as I alluded to in my previous thread,if he was ready I am pretty sure Brett would be in Des' ear but he is not going to give us any answers(not his style).Maybe they are looking at him long term and don't want to rush a kid who has 2 reconstructions too quickly?
Don't get me wrong,I am happy to see some alternatives and changes if we get hammered on the weekend and happy to see people get what they have been asking for....
The comment about me thinking that I would be happy that we should pursue losing instead of making changes is pretty poor mate,I was just trying to give a reason as to Des' thinking....

I hope for an orderly football game so as to negate the need for a violent bloodbath.....Call me crazy,just don't call me Shirley,and I can't put my finger on it...I just have a feeling we will get the chocolates this weekend(I have been wrong many times and may well be again)
Good on you @Smokin Joe Nothing Crazy about you feathered friend .
You see what that blind can not see and that is our Great Manly spirit that rises above adversity

Parramatta blooded Dylan Brown last year at 19 and he has thrived and he is not a big boy. What the heck is Dess waiting for? How far off the pace do we have to fall. Tom and Walker are 3 weeks away and another two losses and we don’t make the 8. 3 weeks ago is 6 completion points ago in a shortened season. So the slowly slowly logic just doesn’t make sense.

Maybe Des hasn't given up on the season,maybe he still thinks we can make the finals and go further.Having watched the games I don't believe putting Hopoate at fullback or Schuster to 6 or the bench increases our chances of winning a game,so what is the point of blooding youngsters if you still believe you are going to turn it around?
I get that people are feeling frustrated and that means people want changes and I am not saying that either view is correct,I am just pontificating what Des might be thinking to answer your question....
Have you seen enough of Albert to judge what his ability under the high ball is,whether his positional play needs a lot of work to play at NRL level,etc...?I have not and can't make that call and would think that Des and Brett Stewart maybe have and have decided not to do it and not to rush a guy with 2 reconstructions back,maybe he is not physically where they want him yet?(I don't know...)Maybe they don't view him as a fullback and view him as a centre,maybe they don't want to promote a guy who may be leaving on a mormon mission?
As to Schuster,I get why people want him in the team and he probably wants to play himself,maybe if the losses continue we will see him named,Des does it his way and that is how it is I guess...
Some good points you make Joe and another thought perspective you have highlighted.

I have not seen Albert get interrogated under the high ball, but from what I have seen of Albert he is extremely talented and has more upside than Garrick and Elliot.

I get the concern they may have with Albert coming back from injury, though the 2020 season is a shortened one and could end at any time.

I can’t wait for Albert to get a chance along with Schuster, maybe I am getting caught up in the panthers form and what they have achieved with their local talent.

On another note, I have heard whispers that Dylan Pythian has an extraordinary skill set and has caught the eye of a few good judges at Narrabeen. Have you heard anything on Pythian??

Jeez we are good at complaining.

I too want to see Hpooa and Schuster get a run but there must be a reason that us as out of the loop fans don't know.

Albert has just returned from a 2nd acl has he not? No game time in how long? And we want him thrown into the NRL for the first time. Sure he may be a revelation but he may also blow the knee again with no prep. He would be lucky to come back from a third reconstruction.

Schuster I do wonder about more as he's not coming off an injury is he? I'm sure there is a plan. Perhaps bulking up for a run in the second row come 2021?

Whan is our first ' reserve grade trial'? Perhaps those two may be in contention if they play a full trail and come thru unscathed?

p.s Smokin' I accept it was a little disrespectful to imply you were happy with losing. Not my best comment and I apologise.

I guess what I was intending was that there seemed to be generally (and not aimed at you) a sense of whatever Des does is positive. A kind of infallibility. As I was alluding to with Washington, we are all human and we all have flaws. Perhaps mine is being a little too arrogant and self assured, but I guess that comes from constantly in the past making decisions about people lives, at one stage averaging 14 times weekly. Did I make mistakes. Sometimes. But you learn from mistakes dont you...at least you should. I'm just hoping Des is also learning from his mistakes and that's no disrespect, that's just human nature that we all share. He's not superman, and like all of us he's prone to the same fallibilities we all have, even despite the fact that he is an outstanding coach

p.s Smokin' I accept it was a little disrespectful to imply you were happy with losing. Not my best comment and I apologise.

I guess what I was intending was that there seemed to be generally (and not aimed at you) a sense of whatever Des does is positive. A kind of infallibility. As I was alluding to with Washington, we are all human and we all have flaws. Perhaps mine is being a little too arrogant and self assured, but I guess that comes from constantly in the past making decisions about people lives, at one stage averaging 14 times weekly. Did I make mistakes. Sometimes. But you learn from mistakes dont you...at least you should. I'm just hoping Des is also learning from his mistakes and that's no disrespect, that's just human nature that we all share. He's not superman, and like all of us he's prone to the same fallibilities we all have, even despite the fact that he is an outstanding coach
No problemo,I don't think he has been intransigent though Bear,he tried Croker at 6 and it did not work,now he is trying Cust and I saw enough last game to keep persisiting and give it more time.
He tried Garrick at 1 and it did not work,he had some success(limited) with Elliot last year and now is giving it a go,if it does not work out I am sure he will give Funa or Metcalf or Hopoate a run.
I also saw Jake running a few times off of DCE in the first half which is something new and it looked good....

Last edited:
Some good points you make Joe and another thought perspective you have highlighted.

I have not seen Albert get interrogated under the high ball, but from what I have seen of Albert he is extremely talented and has more upside than Garrick and Elliot.

I get the concern they may have with Albert coming back from injury, though the 2020 season is a shortened one and could end at any time.

I can’t wait for Albert to get a chance along with Schuster, maybe I am getting caught up in the panthers form and what they have achieved with their local talent.

On another note, I have heard whispers that Dylan Pythian has an extraordinary skill set and has caught the eye of a few good judges at Narrabeen. Have you heard anything on Pythian??
I know nothing to be honest.My opinion of Phythian is he is calm,a good decision maker,strong defender and a good passing and kicking game.My thoughts are that he would be the best fit to work with DCE.
He would need to be promoted to our last remaining spot in the practise squad(we have 35 contracted and can sign one more) and would then be available(can play dummy half too)

I know nothing to be honest.My opinion of Phythian is he is calm,a good decision maker,strong defender and a good passing and kicking game.My thoughts are that he would be the best fit to work with DCE.
He would need to be promoted to our last remaining spot in the practise squad(we have 35 contracted and can sign one more) and would then be available(can play dummy half too)

Hopefully he's sorted himself out then.

The Newcastle Knights have sacked luckless utility back Dylan Phythian for a second breach of the NRL drugs policy.
Phythian is understood to have tested positive twice to social drugs.

The Knights had the option of accepting a 12-week suspension and standing by Phythian, but instead chose to terminate the final year of his contract.
It is understood Knights CEO Phil Gardner and the Wests Group's board of directors wanted to send a firm message, given the Knights' long and dubious history with regards to drugs issues.

He scored a try on debut against South Sydney in 2016 but suffered a season-ending knee injury in round one last year.
It was the second time he had ruptured his anterior-cruciate ligament.

Hopefully he's sorted himself out then.

The Newcastle Knights have sacked luckless utility back Dylan Phythian for a second breach of the NRL drugs policy.
Phythian is understood to have tested positive twice to social drugs.

The Knights had the option of accepting a 12-week suspension and standing by Phythian, but instead chose to terminate the final year of his contract.
It is understood Knights CEO Phil Gardner and the Wests Group's board of directors wanted to send a firm message, given the Knights' long and dubious history with regards to drugs issues.

He scored a try on debut against South Sydney in 2016 but suffered a season-ending knee injury in round one last year.
It was the second time he had ruptured his anterior-cruciate ligament.
Some good words going around on Pythians ability and skill set.

Hopefully he has managed to over come his past issues and leant a lesson or two.

Have you seen any tape on him??

Some good words going around on Pythians ability and skill set.

Hopefully he has managed to over come his past issues and leant a lesson or two.

Have you seen any tape on him??

I haven't seen anything. But reading the blurbs, everyone says good things. Scored a try on debut... then the dreaded knee injuries.

So skill doesn't seem to be a problem.

edit: YOUTUBEZZZZ

I haven't seen anything. But reading the blurbs, everyone says good things. Scored a try on debut... then the dreaded knee injuries.

So skill doesn't seem to be a problem.

edit: YOUTUBEZZZZ

Cheers, enjoyed the highlights reel.

Plays left edge, Joe may well be on to it that he compliments DCE!

We have lacked a kicking game this season, hopefully Dylan will get a chance to have a crack at some football to show case his skills to the club.

Bring on some NSW cup footy or some organised club ga for these blokes.

We Manly supporters probably know Des as well as anyone. Hence we were not surprised by what we saw at Canterbury.

What we know:

He's had two clubs in a row that got into trouble with back ended contracts. In each case he said he had a way out but we saw neither. He has seemingly been stopped from doing these deals, not the least reason being that we had cap restraints when he arrived. We don't appear to be very good with the brown paper bags so talent management may be an issue.

He is loyal to a fault with his players (hello T Rex). We had years of screaming for change in his first tenure (hello Jamie Buhrer) and saw Dogs fans screaming for the same. The question becomes was he just lucky that his first Manly side ended up full of superstars or did he know all along?

He is extremely reluctant to blood new talent which is the same issue as not changing his sides but it does lead to losing talent - see Bulldogs for this.

What we don't know is:

If he is still or ever was a great attacking coach. The Dogs had an atrocious attack, certainly at the end and the constant refrain we hear about Manly is where do the points come from without the exceptional individual talent of Tommy T? In the back of my mind I keep hearing (I should see someone, I know) the quote from Watmough about how Glenn Stewart used to come up with all the attacking plays. At the time I thought it was sour grapes but now I'm beginning to wonder.

How much he is willing to move with the times. His assistant is Cartwright and recruitment is still Crusher. Bellamy is always mentoring young assistants who, not only learn from him but, do doubt, bring fresh ideas. And, again, Bulldogs fans were questioning what Crusher was bringing to the club from which he was eventually sacked.

How much he was affected by his whole, devastating experience at the Bulldogs. Did it change him, make him less confident, make him more obstinate ... I don't know.

Obviously his record speaks for itself. We performed well above expectations last year and we've been decimated with injuries this year. I agree with Bear that it's very dangerous to think of anyone as a messiah (not sure that he was ever a naughty little boy though) and it's always worth trying to have an objective look.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2