Is Billy Slater better than Brett Stewart?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
There has been a strong push in the media to identify Billy Slater as the greatest full back ever and an Immoral.

The thing is several years ago Brett Stewart was considered the best and was at one time the League's pin up boy. It seems a court case (in which he was scurrilously and falsely accused of sexual assault of a minor), and career ending injuries that followed. It reduced his media support and any suggestions that he was the best full back in the game while he played, which was contemporary to Billy Slater's career. News Ltd in particularly, that was responsible for slurring Brett's name, has never come forward and apologised, and seems to have paradoxically refused since to place Stewart's name at the forefront, almost as if they blame him for their mistake.

Has Stewart been unfairly judged even now based on that accusation and those injuries and was he at least Slater's equal if not better when he was playing?

I am in no way diminishing what Brett has achieved, what he did for this club and even what he could have achieved had he been treated fairly, however Slater the little **** has it all, return from kicks, setting up plays, using his step and not just speed to make breaks, puts his body on the line etc etc...

Billy by a nose.

Billy Slater will go down in history as a better fullback than Brett Stewart by most pundits and it is hard to argue to be fair.

Imo if Stewart didn't do both his knees he would of gone down as the best full back. He probably would of hit 2nd in top try scorers but due to his injuries had to change his game to more if a supporting role and he was brilliant at it. For me Stewart is better as he didn't have the Australian #7 & #9 helping him and out of there 1 on 1 battles Stewart won more imo. don't forget the cheating storm team with all rep players at a disadvantage we smoked them 40 nil. for me snake is the best fb of the modern era buy only just..

Billy Slater will go down in history as a better fullback than Brett Stewart by most pundits and it is hard to argue to be fair.

I guess the issue is that at the beginning of the 2009 season, Brett along with Inglis were the face of League and at that time Stewart was considered the best fullback. Unfortunately the last half dozen years have seen that rating lost through the court case and injury. But at his peak he was considered the best playing.

On individual skills I would give it to Brett by a nose, but Slaters game involvement and 80min impact from all parts of the field, plus his robustness sways it his way. Apart from being a grub he is as good as I have ever seen.

I reckon Snake has him covered defensively but Slater probably edges him out in attack, mainly on the back of kick returns and his work through the middle of the ruck

Had Snake not lost 2 seasons in his prime he would be more highly regarded I reckon. Firmly believe he would have been nudging Irvines try record had he stayed fit though to this season, he would definitely be second all time at least.

One thing the CH 9 fappers seem to always gloss over with Slater is his ability to pull off an absolute game losing clanger every now and then. Plus he is in the top 3 grubs in the game, let's not forget they had to bring in a rule to outlaw his dangerous feet first slides into try scorers.

I reckon Snake has him covered defensively but Slater probably edges him out in attack, mainly on the back of kick returns and his work through the middle of the ruck

Had Snake not lost 2 seasons in his prime he would be more highly regarded I reckon. Firmly believe he would have been nudging Irvines try record had he stayed fit though to this season, he would definitely be second all time at least.

One thing the CH 9 fappers seem to always gloss over with Slater is his ability to pull off an absolute game losing clanger every now and then. Plus he is in the top 3 grubs in the game, let's not forget they had to bring in a rule to outlaw his dangerous feet first slides into try scorers.
And God help you if you try contesting a high ball - likely to be kicked in the face!

Slater is a grub BUT let's be honest with ourselves, whilst Snake is a Manly legend Slater has been dominant at Club, State of Origin AND as a Kangaroo for most of the last decade.

There's been times they've been equals , but Slater ( the little prick) has consistently excelled at the highest levels.

I'll remember Brett long after Slaters gone BUT sadly he ticks every box as being the best!!

Slater's restaurant is ****

Ok Shoe, you started the off track jokes. I thought of the most non PC joke today but can't help myself.

In the tele today in the spotted section it mentioned Ian Roberts was spotted working in the "baggage handling area" of the airport ..... seemed like the appropriate department.

All these experts in the media who say Slater is the best ever are normally the ones who think they invented rugby league.
And that the game existed only in their lifetime.
I caught Langlands career best only just but I can remember what a great presence he had as a player and have read many good judges accounts of the game changing impact Chang had on fullback play and the game in general.
As for Snake's time with us, I wouldn't swap him for Slater at any point.

Slater is a grub BUT let's be honest with ourselves, whilst Snake is a Manly legend Slater has been dominant at Club, State of Origin AND as a Kangaroo for most of the last decade.

There's been times they've been equals , but Slater ( the little prick) has consistently excelled at the highest levels.

I'll remember Brett long after Slaters gone BUT sadly he ticks every box as being the best!!
I get what your saying buy I believe they didn't pick Stewart over slater on purpose. it's like Bellamy in origin never picking our players. remember origin 09 he picked kimmorly over Orford who was current dally m. slater is a beast but I think because he plays with the Australian 7 and 9 helps his game and gives him an advantage

Both at the prime, Snake just, both over long term career, Slater but just.

Oh maybe snake, I don't know gotta say it's a tie, or very close at least. Snake won't be mentioned by media cause he played for manly though

Both Champions
Stewart has him for genuine speed
Slater has more explosive speed
Talk at the back equal
Brett all day a better defender from a line break.
Slater has Brett in 1 area clearly...support plays...every game Slater supports that ruck area 100 times and gets it 7-8 times with often 2-3 line breaks.
Brett tends to lurk outside the edge defenders to use his pace to create opportunities out wide...and tips Slater here...
Both freaks...hard to call.
If you support Storm Slater
Personally Stewart my favourite all time player, so I say Stewart.

Stewart will probably be remembered by the broader RL community in the same way as fullbacks like Ken Thornett, Les Johns (probably the closest to Stewart in playing style) and Keith Barnes are to Graeme Langlands.

He is an Immortal (cough), they're not.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8