Is Billy Slater better than Brett Stewart?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Wombat Eadie craps all over Slater :nod:

Achieved everything by 18, when there was no sports science, recovery sessions or fulltime league. Fullback who also was responsible for goal kicks :clap:

Won premierships and awards in Oz and UK.

Snake was a rare talent whose career was cut short by injuries and off field challenges not of his making :cool:

Stewart by a fair length

Slater never really learnt to tackle the bigger guys, like T Rex and Fafita

Slater lacks the attacking nous Snake had in the way where he can score a try but can't set them up nearly as lethally

Snake was the focal point of our attack, Billy is a bit player

If Snake stays as fit as the other grub does and they get the same amount of negative attention by the NRL Slater isn't even in the conversation

Slater is a way better fullback than Brett Stewart, Stewart has retired.

Stewart was a better fullback in his prime than Slater but not by much and that was only for a few years, Slater has been very good over many more seasons so overall a better player.

All these experts in the media who say Slater is the best ever are normally the ones who think they invented rugby league.
And that the game existed only in their lifetime.
I caught Langlands career best only just but I can remember what a great presence he had as a player and have read many good judges accounts of the game changing impact Chang had on fullback play and the game in general.
As for Snake's time with us, I wouldn't swap him for Slater at any point.

I never said Slater was the best ever, just the best between he and Stewart.

Would I trade him for Brett going back 10 years......no way!

I never said Slater was the best ever, just the best between he and Stewart.

Would I trade him for Brett going back 10 years......no way!
No mate not you.
But I've noticed the media ' experts ' lately exalting the like of studs up and Smith as the ' best ever '.
They seem to have the idea that rugby league didn't exist pre nrl/ super league era.
I'd like to know how Smith could be called best ever hooker when he's probably never won a scrum and an insult to the great hookers who had to do that and play in the open.
Sorry one of the things that really bug me.

Tough call to make. Snake became a champion at a club that had to rise from the ashes and remain riddled with off field dramas, whereas Slater had the luxury of stability and key QLD origin players surrounding him at club level. Brett had to overcome having his shouldered destroyed by Jamie Lyon in his teens, a tragic court case and two season ending leg injuries. That is overcoming some serious adversity right there.

Snake's ability to score a try and set them up were incredible. Our club was so dependent on Snake's brilliance, to the point that we were no longer contenders whenever he became injured or disinterested (see 2009, 2010 and 2014). The Storm on the other hand were a Will Chambers pass away from going all the way last year without Slater.

Brett also holds a 40-0 grand final victory over his competitor, when the losing side was well over the salary cap.

Slater is robust for sure but there is no way I ever would have traded Stewart for him.

They seem to have the idea that rugby league didn't exist pre nrl/ super league era.
I'd like to know how Smith could be called best ever hooker when he's probably never won a scrum and an insult to the great hookers who had to do that and play in the open.
Sorry one of the things that really bug me.
Pretty much the case with anyone born from about 1980 onwards.

Slater easily. Stewart was picked ahead of him for Australia in 07 when he was sent to the wing for gidley and matai snorted gaz. Stewart was also picked ahead of him in 08 but pulled out injured.

Slater is more competitive and I have a new appreciation for how good he is since he had returned to the game.

Brett Stewart was my favourite player for a long time.

I just saw the end of Langlands, probably beyond his best.

Eadie was the best I've seen, power, speed , defence Wombat had it all.
Must be of the same vintage so would have to agree. Slater and Stewart both lightning quick and with massively good skills, but both didn't have the power game Eadie had. If he didn't run over the top of you, he would completely smash you in defence. Will always remember his hit on a runaway Rogers in the first GF in 1978. That tackle won it for us that year. Only other contenders are Langlands and Churchill. Churchill minimal footage and Langlands memory for me is confined to the white boots.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8