Is Axing Saab the answer ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The difference is that with Cherry out there, he gets the ball to Saab in space where he can use his pace effectively. It took a while to work things out with them, but they have been a very potent combination. In fact, our right side of DCE, Guac, Harper and the Volvo has become a very potent attacking side in recent months.

The game against Canberra ... Walker and Cust did what Walker and Cust do in a playmaking role. Ran themselves out of room and almost in panic, passed off to someone right next to the sideline with pretty much zero room to do anything but either throw a wild hail Mary back inside, or get pushed into touch.

The difference is that Cherry is willing to sacrifice his own running game to give speed players like Saab early ball so he can run. Neither Walks or Cust when playing the halves like sacrificing their running game.
Very true and I will add that both Cust and Walker can drift sideways, allowing the defensive slide and only have a decent 10m pass, whereas DCE can land a hard 20m long ball which also makes a Massive difference in both giving Saab both extra space and holding the defence a moment longer...which is all that's needed.

As a winger his primary function is to finish a move by hand or through the air. He does it well. Doesnt have to create much just be there to get that ball over the line.

There is the distinction ... I am not talking about whether he will be a star, or even good ... I am talking about whether he will be a complete footballer ... and in my opinion, he will always be a player that has shortcomings in his game ... a player you are prepared to put up with the downside because of the high upside ... and at the moment us fans have bought in ... but as this forum highlights on a weekly basis, fans are fickle ...
Im really not sure how anyone can conclude a player will have shortcomings for the rest of their career after half season in FG at a new team in a zero to hero rebuilding phase?

By your rating method above 99.9% of payers in the game would 'never be a complete' footballer wouldnt they?

Im really not sure how anyone can conclude a player will have shortcomings for the rest of their career after half season in FG at a new team in a zero to hero rebuilding phase?

By your rating method above 99.9% of payers in the game would 'never be a complete' footballer wouldnt they?
It's called covering ones ass mate. Absolutely mind boggling ridiculous.

No ... and I haven't concluded that ... I have stated that I have my doubts ... but that is hardly a conclusive statement ... and my opinion is based mainly upon his lack of coordination, and lateral body movement, not on his performances .. it is an opinion ..

And players are judged, assessed and rated from the under 12 rep carnivals ... it's not rocket surgery .. and they don't always get it right ... but they mostly do .. and generally only the very elite are complete footballers ..

the rest of the mere mortals will always carry some shortcoming in their games ... I read about Jakes, Keppie's, Crocker's, Walker's, Parker's, Garrick's and every other Manly players on this very forum every week ..

He willl be a mainstay in our backline for year's to come. You can take that to the bank. Height, pace and athleticism. Uncoordinated? Good grief - Charlie Darwin would point to Saab as the evolution prototype. But poor drunken Charlie would also likely claim that Thurston's angel wings tattoo proves his mother is a lizard.

Saab is the winger we have all been screaming for.
He is young with raw natural ability and with more NRl experience I believe he will turn out one of our Manly Greats

The thing that over rides stats is that he is a rare X Factor who can instantly and totally Fck the opposition in the blink of an eye

Speed kills
There is no substitute for speed
The faster you go the bigger the mediocre mess you leave behind .

He willl be a mainstay in our backline for year's to come. You can take that to the bank. Height, pace and athleticism. Uncoordinated? Good grief - Charlie Darwin would point to Saab as the evolution prototype. But poor drunken Charlie would also likely claim that Thurston's angel wings tattoo proves his mother is a lizard.
He certainly has all the natural ingredients and that is the making of a great recipe for a successful career

No ... and I haven't concluded that ... I have stated that I have my doubts ... but that is hardly a conclusive statement ... and my opinion is based mainly upon his lack of coordination, and lateral body movement, not on his performances .. it is an opinion ..

And players are judged, assessed and rated from the under 12 rep carnivals ... it's not rocket surgery .. and they don't always get it right ... but they mostly do .. and generally only the very elite are complete footballers ..

the rest of the mere mortals will always carry some shortcoming in their games ... I read about Jakes, Keppie's, Crocker's, Walker's, Parker's, Garrick's and every other Manly players on this very forum every week ..
But you said this?

and in my opinion, he will always be a player that has shortcomings in his game.....

So you have indeed decided his fate have you not?

But you said this?

and in my opinion, he will always be a player that has shortcomings in his game.....

He does have shortcomings in his game. Lots of them. We haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement either way as to whether these shortcomings cannot be rectified over time. He is very much work in progress, but absolutely deserves that wing spot right now. Yes he has shortcomings but his attributes far outweigh those in my opinion.

Last year when Turbo was missing I commented that we really needed to get another one or two really fast players to complement the damage that Turbo can inflict, without it being up to him to finish every bust.

Saab provides that brilliantly. If all he does is back up Turbo's breaks that will be a pretty big plus.

I agree with Woodsie in that I doubt Saab will become an immortal. Although if the sentiment was that he's not first grade NRL material, then that has already been disproved, in my opinion! (My opinion only as a fan, I only ever played one game as a winger and that was in junior rugby) :)

He does have shortcomings in his game. Lots of them. We haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement either way as to whether these shortcomings cannot be rectified over time. He is very much work in progress, but absolutely deserves that wing spot right now. Yes he has shortcomings but his attributes far outweigh those, in my opinion.
Most NRL players have shortcomings in their game. It's why coaches spend hours going over videos in an attempt to expose them. Saab does however have the following attributes.
  • size
  • speed to burn
  • athleticism
  • height
  • willingness
  • catching ability
  • a huge leap

He has outperformed JAC when compared to his debut season in first grade. Rep honours are certainly within his grasp if he continues the upward trajectory.

Has had limited attacking opportunities the past couple of matches , hopefully with Turbo and D C E returning , will get a lot more good ball and attacking chances . Garrick has returned to some impressive form and Uate aside , Saab is definitely the most capable finisher available for many seasons now . Not too sure of his maximum ceiling but Saab is offering already some very important strike power out wide , any current short comings not really of any major concern with the other benefits he is bringing .

But you said this?

No, unlike many with God complexes .. I don't consider my opinion omnipotent or capable of deciding anybody's fate ... I will add that I also believe that 99.9% of all footballers have some shortcoming in their game .. it is a human condition.

For example .. one of Saab's major shortcomings is tackling, now I have seen many poor tacklers become better tacklers, but I have seen very few poor tacklers become good tacklers ..

Saab 39 missed tackles .. tackle effectiveness 62%
Garrick 14 missed tackles .. tackle effectiveness 86%

You are welcome to the view that all his faults will disappear in the fullness of time ... I hope you are correct ... but for now I will stick with my view that he will always be a risk/benefit proposition.

I love that despite having seen him smoke plenty of his opposition in making breaks down his side & backing up anyone else who makes a break, he hasn't ever looked like he's struggling or gone past 2nd gear.

He's got a lovely, balanced, relaxed running style.

You're right 47. I watch how he runs and the expression on his face. He's gliding, but I suspect he could go even faster.

He needs to lift his base work rate. Wingers these days need to be helping get that ball out of end on kick returns. His run metres out of our 20 and general post contact metres aren't great.

Also as Woodsie pointed out his defence needs work. Tackle efficiency of around 70% isn't great by NRL standards.

Can't deny his speed though. Maybe he should be looking to get more involved, get into dummy half and use that pace against lazy markers and tired middle forwards. You don't want to be a one trick pony sitting on the wing waiting for a break to back up, cut out ball to put you in space or the speccy downfield kick.

I can't think of another player with his physical build. Still only 20, he will surely get physically stronger over the next few years as his body matures, not to mention a few more preseasons. Right now he is so tall and so lean he almost looks fragile.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2