Is Axing Saab the answer ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Replacing a weak reserve grader with another weak reserve grader,who has never played in the replaced weak reserve grader’s position in his entire life, is an insult to weak reserve graders everywhere who are trying to make weak first grade sides in their chosen lifelong position.
I think Parker could help with defensive side of things on that side of the field. It's only 1 spot in from centre and he is too slow for centre. I think its backrow or bust for Parker, especially with our injury crisis plus it allows a strike back to take Parker's centre spot. I know its not ideal but I think its the best of a bad situation

We are short with edge forwards, the only one in the 30 not named in the 21 this week is Ben T.
Parker is not an edge forward either. That’s my point.Saddler is a middle but mobile and could get promoted via exemption , Sione Fainu is mobile tough kid, Aloia is mobile enough to play there - why pick a bloke who gets smashed every week at centre , who has never played there and expect him to all of a sudden be doing the job one move closer to where the whips are really cracking and the workload is twice as much.

Give me those mobile guys I mentioned and rearrange the pack anytime over a bloke who almost everyone thinks is a reserve grade centre with zero skill set other than trying hard.Just doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:
Parker is not an edge forward either. Saddler is a middle but mobile and could get promoted via exemption , Sione Fainu is mobile tough kid, Aloia is mobile enough to play there - why pick a bloke who gets smashed every week at centre , who has been de played there and expect him to all of a sudden be doing the job one move closer to where the whips are really cracking.

Give me those mobile guys I mentioned anytime over a bloke who almost everyone thinks is a reserve grade centre. Just doesn’t make sense.
Guess that Robbo "s point is Parker or Jet Ski right now , agree not ideal but maybe the best option [Parker ] , took some solid hits against the Dragons and persevered . Unlikely this week however but Jet Ski has been struggling for whatever reason .

Parker is not an edge forward either. That’s my point.Saddler is a middle but mobile and could get promoted via exemption , Sione Fainu is mobile tough kid, Aloia is mobile enough to play there - why pick a bloke who gets smashed every week at centre , who has never played there and expect him to all of a sudden be doing the job one move closer to where the whips are really cracking and the workload is twice as much.

Give me those mobile guys I mentioned and rearrange the pack anytime over a bloke who almost everyone thinks is a reserve grade centre with zero skill set other than trying hard.Just doesn’t make sense.
I wouldn't exactly call Saddler and Aloiai mobile, same goes for Fainu actually. You argue that Parker has never played backrow but you want to put an untried rookie prop to the backrow? Don't get me wrong, I rate Saddler highly but I'd rather Jake to backrow and Saddler to lock IF we were to pick him.

No I don’t want that. I say promote talented young forwards and play around with pack. Jake coukd play edge. Aloia did at tigers.Fainu also played hooker in the trial so he can get around the park.
Parker got smashed twice last week and dropped it cold. Hunt absolutely manhandled him one on one when he had room to move.
The one bloke we know has never ever played in the forwards anywhere and he’s the option. As I said I just don’t get it. He’s terrible at centre. He’s not even mobile himself. How does he go any better standing one position inside. Is it the red hair?
Just hope it doesn’t happen

Last edited:
Except Hunt to hooker didn't really work.

Back at halfback and he is killing it.
Not now with a broken leg. I can’t remember him even getting injured in the game, let alone a broken leg. Bad luck for him, because as you said, he was killing it at half-back.

im sure he can see where he is passing, he uses his peripheral vision while keeping his head straight to draw the defender. He is a gun, have you seen how spot on his passes are even at distance, right in front at chest height in front of the ball runners hands
Your spot on, his shift goes -
Support runners
Best option
Eyes on defender
Fires pass
Hits target....100% strike rate thus far

Jetski was picked in front of Davey and Ola first week. He was our first choice left side edge forward.He’s Dessies first choice.That’s how ridiculous the situation is.
How do you get dropped in this side.How many convictions has he had.
What worries me is that des will go sirro and jetski and put schuster back on the bench

Jetski was picked in front of Davey and Ola first week. He was our first choice left side edge forward.He’s Dessies first choice.That’s how ridiculous the situation is.
How do you get dropped in this side.How many convictions has he had.
Des did drop him for Davey tho after round 1. I agree tho he was the original first choice.

Replacing a weak reserve grader with another weak reserve grader,who has never played in the replaced weak reserve grader’s position in his entire life, is an insult to weak reserve graders everywhere who are trying to make weak first grade sides in their chosen lifelong position.
My theory is it can’t get any worse, so who cares how it goes. Might even work.

Your spot on, his shift goes -
Support runners
Best option
Eyes on defender
Fires pass
Hits target....100% strike rate thus far
Agree this kid looks to be top draw. Foran will go down soon so he’ll get a shot at 6. Possibly this week. It would be good to have Tom at 1, Schu at 6 and Guac at 12 v Warriors.

Well the young blokes will have to leave & go elsewhere coz they certainly won’t be getting blooded at Manly.
You and a number of others have announced that you've lost all respect for Hasler, which is fine. But in the interests of keeping things at least a teeny bit real, can I point out that since back at Manly Des has in fact given quite a few blokes their NRL debuts.

Such as Haumole, Cust, Funa, Keppie, Schuster, Albert Hoppa, Miski, Waddell, Garrick. He’s also selected some other inexperienced players with only a handful of NRL games such as Sipley, Boyle, Saab, Harper, Davey.

Some were hailed and showed great promise but haven't exactly kicked on, and in fact most have subsequently had their various shortcomings pointed out here in no uncertain terms!

I suspect some people don't allow for the magnitude of the pandemic, last year was a disrupted ad hoc comp thrown together to keep the TV contracts. Only 20 rounds. So in terms of total games, Des still has only had control for less than 2 normal seasons, of which one was far from normal.

Looking at that list of young inexperienced types who have been blooded by the coach who never bloods anyone, may I suggest the problem is that we have a lot of players who are borderline capable or have some potential, but we simply don't have a deep spread of top talent. The team and those flawed individuals need to develop over time, this is the process we are currently in.

You and a number of others have announced that you've lost all respect for Hasler, which is fine. But in the interests of keeping things at least a teeny bit real, can I point out that since back at Manly Des has in fact given quite a few blokes their NRL debuts.

Such as Haumole, Cust, Funa, Keppie, Schuster, Albert Hoppa, Miski, Waddell, Garrick. He’s also selected some other inexperienced players with only a handful of NRL games such as Sipley, Boyle, Saab, Harper, Davey.

Some were hailed and showed great promise but haven't exactly kicked on, and in fact most have subsequently had their various shortcomings pointed out here in no uncertain terms!

I suspect some people don't allow for the magnitude of the pandemic, last year was a disrupted ad hoc comp thrown together to keep the TV contracts. Only 20 rounds. So in terms of total games, Des still has only had control for less than 2 normal seasons, of which one was far from normal.

Looking at that list of young inexperienced types who have been blooded by the coach who never bloods anyone, may I suggest the problem is that we have a lot of players who are borderline capable or have some potential, but we simply don't have a deep spread of top talent. The team and those flawed individuals need to develop over time, this is the process we are currently in.
I don’t disagree with what you say mate. My disappointment is that he is selecting the same out of form players week in week out with the same results each time. This is his 3rd year here & apart from 2019 it’s been a regular occurrence of losing games every week & his selection policy just doesn’t make sense. So after 3 weeks of terrible losses & the same players not performing would you not look at improving the team in some capacity? He’s selected the same team for the game on Thursday against the Panthers. Selecting players out of position & hoping for the best. Why persist in playing Walker at FB instead of centre which he is great in? Why persist with Croker when he’s performances have been abhorrent? Why suddenly drop Sipley after a five minute stint & bring Boyle back? Gosiewski out of form, Parker ineffective? I’m not a coach but bloody hell after 12 terrible losses with the same players I’d be changing something. Seems the coaches of the top tier teams have no issues utilising youngsters but our coach obviously Has(ler)......yes we have injuries but so do other clubs! No more excuses. Something needs to change & unfortunately I can’t see Des doing this! Schuster is about the only youngster from our own lower grade teams that has been given a chance & I believe if not for injuries he’d still be waiting!

Most young players get their chance through a first grader getting injured, nothing new or wrong with that.
He's tried quite a few. For all I know he's sent them back to reserves to work on some aspect which Des saw but I didn't. I don't know. Was simply making the point though, he does blood players.
As to his overall approach, he's not a coach who shuffles the deck chairs just to see what happens. I think he wants the team to work on team improvements, and of course teamwork takes a hit anytime there's a change.
Unlike others here I'm not yet convinced his selection approach is wrong. He has gambled and lost though in roster management regarding signing a back up hooker and backup fullback - so far! But again, I'll withhold a final judgement for now.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4