Interesting article on the size of stadiums ....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
A brilliant article. Well researched and written Richard Hinds.
You know something is wrong with the NRL's "big stadiums" strategy when the proposed rebuilt SFS had to have a 'magic screen' to mask empty seats. Now, with cost overruns, the Government can't afford the 'magic screen'. This prompted the soccer mob to threaten not to play there because it would give their sport a bad look.
I like Gladys. I've met her and been very impressed. But she has made a huge mistake - or been hoodwinked by political forces - with this re-build disaster. The same goes for moving the Powerhouse Museum to Doesn'tmatta. She is a smart and honest women but is taking bad advice.

From an outsiders perspective (i.e. someone not from Sydney), it seems to me when it comes to the closure and demolition of the old SFS and the building of the new one that there were/are way too many conflicts of interest involved. There are a lot of people with political clout who are members of the SCG Trust who would financially benefit from the new stadium and that influence was used to get the replacement venue approved and pushed through. A venue that for all intents and purposes is really nothing more than a 2020s version of the stadium that was originally opened in 1988.

The reality is that neither the Chooks, Waratahs or Sydney FC will ever get close to consistently filling the new stadium other than for maybe the first year or so after it opens when there is a novelty factor. Building a second 30-35,000 seat stadium similar to bankwest would have been a much cheaper and more viable long term option. Especially when they already have ANZ as a large capacity stadium, even after its capacity is reduced from 83,500 to 70,000.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8