Important development re Brookvale Oval - PLEASE READ & Pass on

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Re: Important development re Brookvale Oval - PLEASE READ & Pass on

vidmar link said:
We now of course need to work with these people to better educate them so that they see the economic and social benefits of a first class stadium for the community.
I can play a part in that.

Phew close. Good news but we must not let up on this matter as the Sea Eagles belong to everyone on the Northern Beaches, including those in Manly and Warringah Council areas.

I would hope that the next council election will make it very clear that this woman has an agenda that could see the loss of this great football club to the region.

Dont forget the pittwater council CW they are also part of the Northern beaches.  :)

Was the question posed about a conflict of interest?

It was sneaky to put the Motion up when the Mayor was away on holidays. The good news is that sensible heads prevailed.

Julie Sutton was outstanding in not putting up with some of the nonsense and was very supportive of the club. One of the proponents, De Luca, really has no idea about the Sea Eagles but obviously supported the motion on the basis of doing the perceived right thing by ratepayers and could be shown the light.

Hats off also to Connie Harris, herself on the Greens ticket, who has been supportive in the past of proposed Brookie stadium plans and wouldn't allow the debate to be shanghaied and voted against the Motion.

A lot of issues in the Council are split along factional lines and this was defeated 5-4 without the Mayor (who ran on a platform of Saving Brookie) and that says that at least some of the Councillors realise taking shots at the Eagles could prove fatal at the ballot box.

Ryan link said:
Was the question posed about a conflict of interest?
Ryan, any questions had to be put up in person before the Council. A question like that would have achieved little except direct negativity towards the Sea Eagles. My investigations indicated that the person you have in mind would not have had a conflict anyway.

Canteen Worker link said:
I would hope that the next council election will make it very clear that this woman has an agenda that could see the loss of this great football club to the region.
One of the admissions from Warringah Council was that Manly and Pittwater have never been approached for assistance with Brookie, even though the Sea Eagles are perceived as a peninsula team. I will look at that for the future.

ManlyBacker link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=181768.msg243028#msg243028 date=1253624868]
One of the admissions from Warringah Council was that Manly and Pittwater have never been approached for assistance with Brookie, even though the Sea Eagles are perceived as a peninsula team. I will look at that for the future.
[/quote]

Fair enough, but by the same token they rest squarely in the Warringah Council area.

Dan link said:
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=181768.msg243041#msg243041 date=1253658261]
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=181768.msg243028#msg243028 date=1253624868]
[/quote]

Fair enough, but by the same token they rest squarely in the Warringah Council area.
[/quote]  Arguably the Manly side is a "brand" that promotes the entire Northern Beaches.  Potentially this is worth millions in subliminal advertising.  This point would have to be one of the major factors highlighted in any economic analysis of the contribution the Eagles make to the North Shore.

I wonder which local council area Narabeen Domino's falls into?  when the Eagles have a home game they do a massive trade - indicative of the business benefits of the side.

I believe there has been approaches to other local councils by the Eagles in tbe past (Jean Hay the mayor of Manly is Arko's sister) but of course one would wonder why they would be willing to donate cash from their stretched budget for another councils asset?
The Dee Why Domino's is closer to Brookie but not sure why Domino's pizza is relevant?

I spent close to a $1k when i went down for a game this year, including accomadation, car repairs (lol), food, etc. It does well for the area to get weekend visitors there. Glad to hear that at this stage there is opposition to forcing manly out.

vidmar link said:
The Dee Why Domino's is closer to Brookie but not sure why Domino's pizza is relevant?
An indicator that local business do very well out of Manly's presence there and could perhaps join the fight to retain games and improve the stadium.  Is there a decent Chamber of commerce down there?

The key motivation for the 4 councillors appears to be how to turn Brookvale oval in to a profit centre which of course is valid.

However, in its current configuaration that is unlikely so that is the challenge.
There was some discussion re naming rights of the ground (Council own the naming rights) and lots made about the "mythical" seven story monstrosity that it appears may be built (but can't find any DA or even significant plans for so not sure why that keeps being brought up whenever commercial development is mentioned as an option.

Ideally (in my opinion) we need a multi purpose facility that is utilised by the wider community and returns a reasonable revenue stream to council.

vidmar link said:
The key motivation for the 4 councillors appears to be how to turn Brookvale oval in to a profit centre which of course is valid.
  There are few, if any, Stadiums that make a profit, so are they suggesting getting rid of it?

Qld government coughed up $100m last year to prop up Suncorp/Gabba/Skilled/Dairy Farmers.  There'd be far less $ in a botique stadium like Brookvale that only hosts 10 large events a year and has no public transport nearby.

I have no probems in the coucil trying to incorporate same revenue returning or community adding features into the upgrades such as building an eastern ken arthurson stand in the corner there and utilising the bottom floor but the motion was just ridiculous

They should sell the naming rights and be done with it.  Say $300k  per year plus MWSE contribution of $330K should take care of most of the maintenance costs

They could redevelop around it.  It's pretty crappy as is.

The sad thing is that this ground was voted by RLW in 1975 as the best ground in the competition.

Since then the Arko stand and new gateway has been built, there has been the new entrance area, new lights, scoreboard and even the now Fulton-Menzies stand but it is by far the worst of all the grounds in the competition for revenue streams and spectator comfort. Even the Jane Try stand is pretty crap. (Maybe Leichhardt is worse but not by much!!!)

I still love the ground and love the hill and the feel of Brookie but some urgent spending is needed by somebody to have a ground that is NRL standard.

Canteen Worker link said:
The sad thing is that this ground was voted by RLW in 1975 as the best ground in the competition.

That's right its all been downhill since they sacked Gough hey CW. 

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8