Important development re Brookvale Oval - PLEASE READ & Pass on

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

vidmar

Bencher
Important development re Brookvale Oval - PLEASE READ & Pass on

This motion for Warringah Council has been brought to my attention this evening...

Notice of Motion No 59/2009

Brookvale Oval

Submitted by: Clr Dr Christina Kirsch

Clr Vincent De Luca OAM

Clr Virginia Laugesen

Motion

That Council:

a) acknowledge:

i) the ongoing costs to council for servicing the $4M loan to upgrade the

grandstand at Brookvale Oval; and

ii) the increases in ongoing maintenance costs and depreciation from the $10M

upgrade of the grandstand at Brookvale Oval;

b) note in relation to the above the need to cover the costs for the upgrade of the grandstand and for future ongoing maintenance of the grandstand by income from the lease arrangements and from events that are using the grandstand; and

c) compile a budget forecast of maintenance costs of the upgraded grandstand, the effect on depreciation and other expenses related to running the facility; and accordingly;

d) re-negotiate the lease agreement with Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Limited (the Club)

to cover forecast ongoing costs by increasing to a 30% of the gross total revenue of the League Club from its use of the land and buildings with a minimum fee of $348,484.85 + GST per annum for use of the grandstand at Brookvale Oval,

e) ensure that TV rights and broadcasting rights are excluded from the lease agreement with the Club and separately negotiated as a council income stream directly with the broadcaster, or as a shared arrangement with the NRL, with a minimum of 30% of the TV rights going to Warringah Council;

f) reserve naming rights for the Oval, to be negotiated and managed by council as a potential source of additional future income;

g) explore additional income streams from alternate uses of the facilities, including the presidents lounge, in the off-season and on non-event days during the season

h) restrict Oval advertising to event days only, with a maximum of 3 consecutive days of advertising and for advertising to revert to past provisions of only being visible from the sports ground and not to be displayed towards the outside of the Oval/ Park.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This has VERY SERIOUS implications to the club and our potential to stay at Brookvale Oval.
I understand there is a council meeting on Tuesday evening (22nd Sept) to discuss the above but I've still yet to get details...I'm thinking that local Manly fans may be interested in attending?
I'll post more as soon as I get more details....

Vidmar

Re: Important development re Brookvale Oval - PLEASE READ & Pass on

This is just a subterfuge method of kneecapping the club with the potential to kill the footy team off.

So its 'Dr' Kirsch hey.  I wouldn't trust these clowns with PhDs as far as I could throw them

The Gronk link said:
So its 'Dr' Kirsch hey.  I wouldn't trust these clowns with PhDs as far as I could throw them

so i've found too ;)

This Christina chick really pisses me off, she doesnt even comprehend the indirect economic benefits manly has for the region but rather focus's on the costs involved.

Just imagine the implications of most business around manly during game days if there wasnt to be a manly anymore.

If only we could just build our own stadium or atleast buy the stadium from council.

Here is the notice of meeting (See agenda item 12.2)

http://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/council_then/WarringahCouncil22September2009.aspx

And here is the motion..

http://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/council_then/documents/20090922122.pdf

Stupid clowns thinking Channel 9 and Foxtel will individually deal with a Council vis a vis TV rights.  They own the game, they'll just tell Manly to play out of Bluetongue should Council try to put their hand out for the right to broadcast from there.  And then all Council will have is a decaying eyesore needing a fortune in maintenance.

Not mention demolition costs would likely be equal to upgrade costs but without state government grants.

The shire, kogarah and Penrith councils all understood the importance of upgrading these facilities.

Warringah council are as bad as Fraser coast council

Vidmar, correct me if I'm wrong but reading into this it’s starting to smell like a money grabbing exercise by the council.

Just another form of corruption but actually this time you can call it extortion.

More like we want you gone...

Give us a third of the take and the TV money (No way the club can afford that sort of deal on a rented property) and making it difficult to attract on-ground sponsorship (the put up and take down of advertising signs will in many cases negate the value of the revenue)

If this goes through then the council will also have the option of calling the Oval O'Porto Oval, Joes Plumbing oval or the Franks accounting oval and get the revenue.

My thoughts are they are trying to force through the park option by removing the 2 other options (leave as is or re-develop to a more commercial/community friendly facility)

The interesting thing is that this is being put forward whilst the major is on holiday so won't be able to vote (That vote was used last time to break a dead lock between 2 factions on the council at the last meeting)

Anyone has contacts at the Manly Daily to get the story picked up locally?

I think Christina has got the new grass she wants, and has obviously been smoking it.

Without re-opening old wounds, what do you think would be happening if Mayer was still in the chair and this motion was on the table?  I'd suggest this motion is out there not just because the mayor is away, but because there;'s a vacuum of leadership at the club itself?

Kinda funny that the FC voting to knife Mayer might present the opportunity for the Council to render impossible the only justification for the football club to exist, namely to keep the club at Brookvale.

Matabele link said:
Anyone has contacts at the Manly Daily to get the story picked up locally?

Yes - Zorba writes for it each weekend and also doubles as our media manager.........

If anyone cares, here's her bio:

Christina Kirsch is a registered Organisational Psychologist, researcher and consultant to national and international corporations. In her professional career she is focusing on the analysis and redesign of organisations, organisational change processes, cross-cultural management and organisational sustainability.

Christina is passionate about preserving Warringah’s natural environment and was instrumental in the agreement between the Metropolitan Aboriginal Land Council, Brookvale Valley Community Group and Warringah Council to rehabilitate local bushland. Her main objectives are stopping over-development, supporting public transport and cycleways, acting on climate change, ensuring more equitable access to community assets and creating a more sustainable Council and community.

Christina moved to Australia in 1997. She is a volunteer lifesaver at Dee Why Surf Lifesaving Club.

I have been stewing over this latest underhanded threat to Brookvale and the Manly Sea Eagles for the last hour. This is an absolute disgrace. I presume advertising revenues could also go down if the crazy idea of putting up and down signs is adopted. I am just mad at the moment and working out what I am going to do about it.

I urge every local that can attend to write to the GM and apply for a chance to have their say (should be given 5 minutes minimum)

if we can get 50+ it will blow out the council meeting time and thus force them to defer the motion until the mayor has returned.

using consultation with the community and the football club as well as the incerased revenue the club brings to the area as reasons to stop the motion would be a good start.

There are another 3 years before re-election so too much time to just try and get it put off completely so it needs to be shut down asap

Matabele link said:
Without re-opening old wounds, what do you think would be happening if Mayer was still in the chair and this motion was on the table?  I'd suggest this motion is out there not just because the mayor is away, but because there;'s a vacuum of leadership at the club itself?

I'm sure that Scott Penn wouldn't see his position as Chairman as vacuous

(vac?u?ous??/?vækyu?s/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [vak-yoo-uhs]  Show IPA
Use vacuous in a Sentence
See web results for vacuous
See images of vacuous
–adjective 1. without contents; empty: the vacuous air. 
2. lacking in ideas or intelligence: a vacuous mind. 
3. expressing or characterized by a lack of ideas or intelligence; inane; stupid: a vacuous book. 
4. purposeless; idle: a vacuous way of life.  )

Matabele link said:
Kinda funny that the FC voting to knife Mayer might present the opportunity for the Council to render impossible the only justification for the football club to exist, namely to keep the club at Brookvale.

Dear me mate.....now's not the time to not "re-open" old wounds...nice try though..

You may recall that Kerry Sibraa amongst other has worked his backside off to get funding to improve the councils facility (and please no rant re his involvement in Zim Mata?) so unfair and totally misleading to try the "blame the FC" angle.

Yet again when the club needs support you decide to stick the boot in...

Ged im on-side ref!!!

Tut tut

Fluffy link said:
I urge every local that can attend to write to the GM and apply for a chance to have their say (should be given 5 minutes minimum)

if we can get 50+ it will blow out the council meeting time and thus force them to defer the motion until the mayor has returned.

using consultation with the community and the football club as well as the incerased revenue the club brings to the area as reasons to stop the motion would be a good start.

There are another 3 years before re-election so too much time to just try and get it put off completely so it needs to be shut down asap

Aaron Markie is looking to hear from supporters that are able to attend the council meeting so please email him at [email protected]'m guessing the club has a plan/direction for those that will be there?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4