If we don’t beat the Roosters, this season will be a failure.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Would you consider this season a failure if we lose to the Roosters?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A learning experience perspective....

In 1979 the St George Inexperienced Harry Baths Babes won the comp

In 2005 Tim Sheens Inexperienced Baby Benjies won the comp

If the others can do it so should Manly the Greatest club of all

Excuses are reasons for expecting failure
Excuses are as useless as tits on a Bull

No excuses

We either win this comp and bask in Glory or not !
This used to be pinned up on the Raiders gym wall back in Canberra. "Excuses are just a reason for failure"

I wouldn't say the season would be a failure as such but to go out in straight sets would mean we failed when it really counts.

North Sydney Bears Mentality over achieving coming 4th and being content

Manly bench mark is living up to our Legendary clubs high standards and coming first

No one remembers the rest

Every one Remembers the best and the one that wins the title

I wouldn't call it a failure - I've enjoyed it greatly from round 5 onwards and anything to relieve the lockdown gloom (I live in Melbourne) is fantastic. But it would be disappointing considering how this side has captured the imagination, not just of us Manly fans but I think the whole league world. I will obviously hope until I can hope no more but I think this is side is still a little short of premiership grade. I would trust Hasler to build up to that as he has before. I am a bit sorry Suli is going - perhaps he just can't maximise his potential but we saw on the weekend that our reliable no-frills centres probably aren't going to cut it at the sharp end of the season. Still lots of great youngsters coming through and perhaps one day Fainu back - certainly a missing cog in our ability to keep sides off kilter at the ruck (see what Grant and Smith do for Melbourne)

This used to be pinned up on the Raiders gym wall back in Canberra. "Excuses are just a reason for failure"

I wouldn't say the season would be a failure as such but to go out in straight sets would mean we failed when it really counts.
The only way to honour our Legendary club and live up to its high standards as the Greatest club of all is to glorify it by winning and keep maintaining at as the Greatest club of all

I think we will beat the roosters. If we somehow lose I would not consider this season a failure but rather a success based upon the potential demonstrated by this team during the year and the potential for next year. We have the basis of a very good team combined with some smart recruiting and valuable lessons learnt we will likely be contenders next year. GO Manly.

Definitely a NO from me.

we’ve had a lot of enjoyment from what really is largely a young and inexperienced team.

Oh yes we do have a couple of guns and for this reason we finished 4th.

Whilst bowing out in straight sets would be devastating, the hunger and drive this will create in 2022 will be immense.

Im hoping ( for the experience) we get two more games , but even if we do win on Friday I can’t imagine we’ll beat the Bunnies the week after.

I think we overachieved coming 4th this year & any further wins we have are s nice bonus.

I expect us to make the top 4 again next year & go further than we do this year.
Agree.

If we bow out to the "injury ravaged" Roosters then it really shouldn't change how we view this season, yes we can be disappointed at the finish but can reflect on a great seson.

During stages of the season we too were "injury ravaged" but the simplistic view is we were missing Tom.

We are without our first choice hooker, we lost Sirro and Davey early ( Des' first choice 2nd rowers), also lost Boyle and Jetski, no Tom, no Walker, no Aloiai at stages of the season.
Suli started the season as a starting centre so Harper was a back up also.

I think at one stage we only had 21 of our 30 available.
Players like Garrick, Harper, Schu, Guac, Paseka, Sipley, Keppie & Croker have taken on greater responsibility because they had to. Lawton came to us injured and he's now a regular in the 17.

We need to really think that yes we finished fourth but could have been sixth.
Would finishing sixth and then bowing out be viewed upon more favourably?
It would be the same amount of losses for the season.
What if we started great, were Top 4 all year and then bombed at the end to finish sixth or seventh, is that perceived as a bigger disappointment?

Where we finish now is all in our perception really.

Coming fourth, a Prelim may be considered par but the odds on Panthers are now one game away from doom too, in fact all teams are now.
There was two points between the top three then a fair gap and only two points between 4-6 then another gap to the rest.
We were clearly in the top six so that is a huge plus mark to me.

To me, we've had a great season, won 15 of our last 20 games, whacked Parra twice, seen the emergence of a true superstar, the smile again on DCE's face, the rebirth of Foz and the future with Guac and Schu.
Three players in the Top 5 try scorers.
Garrick is the first point scorer to go over 300pts, he's in the record books forever.

There's a lot to like, Dally M night we'll have at least two getting awards, maybe three.

We desperately need the week off, we were redlining but on our day I'm confident we can beat anyone and that'll do me.

I'll leave it with this, I saw a mate on Saturday morning "Gee Stu, how did Manly go last night?" I replied with, "so what time are the Sharks playing this weekend?"
And that my friends is the tale of the tape.

Last edited:
I Love You Movie GIF by Rocky

If The Others Dragons Tigers can do it so can the Greatest club of all
Love your enthusiasm big fella and I hope you're right but I'm just saying it won't be a disaster if we crash out. Just a step along the road to future success. If we do crash out I'll be interested to watch how Des restructures, rebuilds and prepares the team next year.

We can post all the motivation quotes we like and discuss greatness and all the rest but it's living in la la land. I'd love to run 100m in under ten seconds but it ain't gonna happen, no matter how hard I try to rationalise it into being. There are so many moving parts and the opposition have a large say in how a match transpires just as much as we do.

You only have to look at anecdotal evidence to see that teams don't just magically start winning big games. Bellamy called it 'muscle memory' in a press conference earlier in the week. There is reason Melbourne are so hard to beat and it's not luck. We can 'want it' but that doesn't mean we can 'have it'. Right now, for myriad of reasons, there are teams ahead of us. If we lose to the Chooks, I'll be disappointed but I remember stressing about winning a spoon after four rounds so I am not going to get too picky. I'm glad we have won more than we have lost this year and been thoroughly entertained throughout. I don't think it's mediocre to hope that we learn from the experience and grow into a better team that challenges for a premiership in the coming years. That to me, is rooted firmly in reality. If we go further, what a great bonus!

Losers Suck

Manly Sea eagles Teams Win and Soar above the rest

Losing is not Manly
Hey I reckon I want Manly to win the comp as much as you do, but there's a small problem with that attitude!
Namely, by your standard of success Manly is indeed a loser and Manly Sea Eagle suck. Because out of 73 years in the comp we've been losers 65 times (according to your standard).
More realistic in my humble opinion to judge us on whether we're improving, so by that measure we've undoubtedly had a good year. Whereas last year we failed.

The bookies have us 11 point favourites to beat the roosters....of course it will be a disaster if we cant beat a team that has been decimated by injuries.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8