If Blake Green had stayed.....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Newcastle veteran announces immediate retirement​

Newcastle Knights playmaker Blake Green has announced his retirement from professional rugby league, effective immediately.

The 34-year-old announced his decision on Tuesday, revealing last weekend’s match against the North Queensland Cowboys would be his last in the NRL.
In announcing the decision, Green conceded his body wasn’t capable of playing at a first-grade standard anymore.

“I can still see everything clearly on the field and know where I need to be, but unfortunately my body stopped getting there,” Green said in a statement.

“I’m always honest with myself, my teammates and our staff. It hurt, but once I knew retirement was the right call I owed it to everyone to do it as quickly as possible for the betterment of our football club.

“I want to thank all of my coaches and teammates, as well as the football staff and administrators, who have helped me live out my childhood dream.

“My Mum and Dad have been phenomenal. Ever since I was a kid they have always been there for me and provided every opportunity for me to succeed. I will never be able to thank them enough.

“My wife Sarah has been right by my side since we were teenagers, providing love and support throughout my entire career. More recently my kids, Boston and Sadie, have brought unending joy and laughter. They will only understand when they are older how much they have brought to our lives.

“Moving forward I have a strong desire to remain involved in rugby league and I’m excited to see how that plays out. For now though, my immediate focus will be spending time with my family and enjoying the little things together.

“I am thankful to all of the wonderful people in Newcastle and the Hunter region who have welcomed my family and I with open arms. I am also very grateful for the support of the Knights members and fans and will forever cherish my time representing our great club.”

Green played 270 first-grade games over an illustrious 15-year professional career, representing nine clubs in the NRL and Super League.

He won a Super League title with the Wigan Warriors in 2013, and won a minor premiership with the Melbourne Storm in 2016.

After suffering a season-ending ACL injury last year, Green played six games for the Knights in 2021 before hanging up the boots.

Newcastle will next face the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles at McDonald Jones Stadium on Sunday, with kick-off scheduled for 4.50pm AEST.

For me I'm rather envious of the football life Green had. He was a better than average first grade player who got to use his craft with many of the best teams in the RL world, played in England , NZ, Australia, earned a good living, no doubt made a lot of friends, and got out before injuries left him permanently impaired in some bodily functions.

Seems to me he had a great football life, knew how to separate enjoyment from business considerations and left without having the media find dirty little (or big) secrets to stain his reputation. I'm glad he played for Manly for a time...did his job well. But he was sensible to know that his football was a career and business decision as well as the fun of playing and treated it that way. For mine he is a good example of what we want in rugby league images.

I think Manly (Barrett) erred in offloading him. I could see him developing into either a good assistant or head coach.

He has a very good footballing brain.

Barrett was an idiot and let Green go before he had signed Mitchell Pearce.
Then came our bs salary cap breach and Greenturd would not approve signing Pearce.

Rest is history and Blue Steel was stuck with nobody.

but Foz & Dez are ok? ;)
It's an interesting perspective on Foz & Des in comparison with Green. Logically there is no difference but Foz & Des are both an inherent part of the Manly Sea Eagles fabric, whilst Green was just a hired gun. He simply doesn't rate as a true Manly player to me. Yes it's illogical, but it makes sense to me.

Once he had done well with us after the Storm his stocks rose dramatically. As a family man, he had to take his opportunity and cash in on the big bucks that were on offer from the Warriors. Personally, I am not going to hold that against him.

IMO, we should sign him as an assistant coach. Having played a couple of years here he would understand our system/culture and has definitely worked hard over the years, and has knowledge to share for young up and coming players.

It's an interesting perspective on Foz & Des in comparison with Green. Logically there is no difference but Foz & Des are both an inherent part of the Manly Sea Eagles fabric, whilst Green was just a hired gun. He simply doesn't rate as a true Manly player to me. Yes it's illogical, but it makes sense to me.
True, Foz & Des are inherently Manly but all three were all treacherous. Does having Manly DNA absolve your actions? At least Green was only acting out of self interest.

PS: On the subject of DNA absolving your actions... Currently raising an almost 18yo son - maybe DNA does count for something otherwise I would most surely be giving him away!

True, Foz & Des are inherently Manly but all three were all treacherous. Does having Manly DNA absolve your actions? At least Green was only acting out of self interest.

PS: On the subject of DNA absolving your actions... Currently raising an almost 18yo son - maybe DNA does count for something otherwise I would most surely be giving him away!
Yes all three actions were treacherous, and logically having Manly DNA shouldn't really absolve their actions. However, its generally easier to excuse the actions of family members, and condemn outsiders. The same thing applies in this instance.

Its strange that when we talk football we talk of loyalty, treachery, avarice etc. Now that may have seemed logical when Rugby League was a part time weekend leisure pursuit. But the game is now a business and players are in it as careers, relying on the income to meet their personal and familial needs. Yes they enjoy the adulation of their fans, but in the end their personal and familial needs come first.

So I suggest rather than allowing the decisions to be seen emotively and in terms of loyalty/treachery etc, ask yourself what you would do when you join your first employer and stick with that group for a few years to gain experience? Would you remain indefinitely, even though you can do better elsewhere? Would you accept the lower pay packet and possibly lack of recognition if the business you are in doesn't allow you to reach the best that your skills can offer? Would you put loyalty first ahead of the needs of your family? In Rugby League you have perhaps a decade to make your big money because unless you have another skill, by the mid thirties you risk a downward slide.

I've worked for many organisations in my past. Some I left for better opportunities, some showed me the door because my value to them had diminished. Such is life. Loyalty? It only exists if both sides are benefitting. That's why I see the decisions of DCE, Foran, Green, Des as logical business decisions. Even though Menzies turned big offers down to go elsewhere, you can guarantee, he weighed up the benefits of staying not merely in money terms, and decided to stay. If Manly had offered less than what he received, do you really think he would have stayed?

Its strange that when we talk football we talk of loyalty, treachery, avarice etc. Now that may have seemed logical when Rugby League was a part time weekend leisure pursuit. But the game is now a business and players are in it as careers, relying on the income to meet their personal and familial needs. Yes they enjoy the adulation of their fans, but in the end their personal and familial needs come first.

So I suggest rather than allowing the decisions to be seen emotively and in terms of loyalty/treachery etc, ask yourself what you would do when you join your first employer and stick with that group for a few years to gain experience? Would you remain indefinitely, even though you can do better elsewhere? Would you accept the lower pay packet and possibly lack of recognition if the business you are in doesn't allow you to reach the best that your skills can offer? Would you put loyalty first ahead of the needs of your family? In Rugby League you have perhaps a decade to make your big money because unless you have another skill, by the mid thirties you risk a downward slide.

I've worked for many organisations in my past. Some I left for better opportunities, some showed me the door because my value to them had diminished. Such is life. Loyalty? It only exists if both sides are benefitting. That's why I see the decisions of DCE, Foran, Green, Des as logical business decisions. Even though Menzies turned big offers down to go elsewhere, you can guarantee, he weighed up the benefits of staying not merely in money terms, and decided to stay. If Manly had offered less than what he received, do you really think he would have stayed?
Take your point re "business" now.
But it's not the fact that you leave but how you leave and your associated integrity.

Take your point re "business" now.
But it's not the fact that you leave but how you leave and your associated integrity.

I dont know what happens behind the scenes DYE and you may be right.
But the problem here is that most information we get about these matters comes from the media and especially the Murdock media which works their stories to peak our interest, not necessarily to state it as it may truly be.

Footballers are no different from the rest of us in the end with much the same motivations. Sure there are good and bad eggs, but the trouble is we dont really get the full story. Its diluted to sell papers and create dramas on their TV programmes to hold your attention.

I wonder if the journos and debaters really believe what they are writing or saying or do they embellish for effect and they take sides just to keep you interested.

Take the issue of Israel Folau. Stupid statements made on his Facebook and shows he's not the sharpest tool. But in the past we would have just laughed it off, said he was a dimwit and got on with the game. It was the media that made it into such a story and the public reacted as was to the media's benefit. In the end who cares that he has weird ideas. He's not the first. I also have ideas that may be considered weird. But the World doesnt end. We just accept the difference.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8