Ian "Rooster" Schubert resigns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Normie said:
Just read that Schubert has resigned as the NRL auditor. About time!!!!!!
Now they can employ an impartial professional auditor......

Good news, wonder who his replacement is and what is he going to do, especially in regards to the Roosters.

Schubert once played for Manly, didn't he?

I think he did, although he was always a rooster. Good thing. Now to outsource the cap to one of the big four to ensure a professional and competent approach to the cap regulations and other sources of payments to players.

Simpler to hire contract out to a Chartered Accountancy firm :idea:

The ARLC seem to favour consultants anyway, and this would ease the mind of each Club CEO.

NRL Official Announcement:
Salary Cap Auditor Ian Schubert has today announced his resignation from the NRL after 18 years as one of the most influential figures in the game.

One of the stars of one of the most memorable Grand Final winning teams in history, Jack Gibson’s 1975 Roosters, a veteran of 272 first grade games at the Roosters, the Magpies and the Sea Eagles and a two-time Kangaroo tourist, Ian was one on the most exciting players in the game.

For all of that success, his contribution as a football administrator was equally significant and brought fans just as much excitement.

With the formation of the NRL, Ian was given the role of managing the Salary Cap in the aftermath of the Super League war and unsustainable player payments.

What followed was an era of unprecedented excitement in terms of the closeness of the competition and the genuine hope fans had that their team could win on any weekend.

“Ian’s contribution to the game is an historic one and the Salary Cap remains an important part of the competition we have today,” NRL Chief Operating Officer, Mr Jim Doyle, said today.

“Ian has managed an incredibly difficult role with a firm but fair approach and has always been mindful of the needs of the players as well as the sustainability of the clubs.

“I am going to miss him but I accept that he wants to move on to other things and I wish him all the best.

“Ian will assist in the completion of the current audits and finish in his role at the end of January.

“The importance of the Salary Cap going forward will be reinforced by making it a part of the Integrity Unit with Jamie L’Oste Brown, who has worked with Ian for the past seven years, taking over as Salary Cap Auditor.”

Over the past 15 years the NRL has seen nine different Premiers, while 12 teams have reached the top-four in just the last five years as a result of the Salary Cap.

Ian was also a key figure in the development of the NRL Judiciary and the best youth competition in Australian sport, the Holden Cup.

“I’ve had a memorable time in the game,” Ian said today, looking back at his time as a player, coach, club executive, Super League Executive and Salary Cap Auditor.

“Naturally, those times as a player are hard to beat but the rewards of being an administrator where your contribution is not always noticed, or appreciated, is both rewarding and challenging.

“I have been fortunate to play alongside and against some of the greats of the game during my time as a player and over the past 18 years to also work closely with some very passionate people who may not have played but certainly have the same passion for the game as any player.”

"For all of that success, his contribution as a football administrator was equally significant and brought fans just as much excitement. "

I'm glad I have my full set of dvd's containing the salary cap auditor's greatest moments to keep me occupied and excited over the summer break...

'One of the most exciting players'? He was a bit of a plodder really. And now they've gone and appointed another insider. What is wrong with this organisation? Don't they want credibility?

globaleagle said:
Heard the front runner is....

Daniel Anderson!

Scum and Rooters nominee, is he ?

Under his management, counting past six was a challenge, so everyone will be under the Cap :p

Nothing much will change with the auditing until the RLPA is onside with closer scrutiny of players incomes, including those outside contracts and even what family members benefit from.

Until then, all clubs will continue to circumvent the salary cap one way or another, with the natural advantage to some clubs over others.

A sub committee consisting of representatives from the Brisbane broncos, souths, Melbourne storm and roosters have appointed Brian Waldron as the new salary cap auditor.

2014 top 4 will consist of these same teams

DSM5 said:
... Now to outsource the cap to one of the big four …
But which one? I suppose Smith looks more like an accountant than Cronk Slater and Inglis.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
“The importance of the Salary Cap going forward will be reinforced by making it a part of the Integrity Unit with Jamie L’Oste Brown, who has worked with Ian for the past seven years, taking over as Salary Cap Auditor.”
Oh. Sounds like the NRL has given up enforcing the cap as a L'Oste cause.

Shayne Hayne would be an outstanding replacement.
Im sure Politis will ask him to step down as our leading biased knobhead ref to become our leading biased knobhead salarycap auditor

Here's our man...Go for it Clint!:p

clinton_hayward_accounting.png

As Ian Schubert steps down, NRL shifts salary cap responsibility to integrity unit

December 19, 2013 Glenn Jackson

The end of an era ushers in the dawn of a new one. After long-time salary-cap auditor Ian Schubert steps down, the NRL's integrity unit will oversee the policing of the cap next year and into the future.

An appeals panel is also in place for next season.

The ongoing salary-cap review, likely to be finalised by the ARL Commission in March, is also set to recommend the controversial second-tier cap, a thorn in Schubert's side in the last of his 15 years in the role, be increased for next season.

Schubert's departure marks a significant step in the evolution of the salary cap, as well as the review. One man will no longer be judge, jury and executioner when it comes to the salary cap.

While Jamie L'Oste Brown will be the new cap auditor, the department will come under the umbrella of the integrity unit, through its general manager of integrity and general counsel, Nick Weeks, as well as chief operating officer Jim Doyle.

NRL clubs are likely to welcome the implementation of an appeals process, which they have never before enjoyed.

''There will be day-to-day decisions that will need to be made by Jamie and his team,'' Doyle said. ''But there will be a proper process in regards to appeals.''

The review followed controversy over the NRL's perceived outdated second-tier salary-cap system last season. Schubert had also come under fire when former NRL star Israel Folau opted to sign with rugby union instead of Parramatta.

Clubs have long been critical of the fact that one individual, Schubert, has had control over the salary cap. That will change from next season; L'Oste Brown will make the day-to-day decisions but the integrity unit will oversee cap management.

''As you can imagine, the integrity of the game is a big part of the salary cap,'' Doyle said. ''We got it [the unit] up and running first and foremost from a drugs and ASADA perspective, but then it's evolved to look after player behaviour. But part of the thinking was always to put the salary cap under there as well.

''It makes sense. Apart from the issue we've had recently with ASADA, the biggest issues we have had, that tarnish the brand, apart from player behaviour, is salary-cap rorts. We've been talking about it for a little while, that, at the right time, it would make sense for it to be part of the integrity unit.''

Schubert, who played 272 first-grade games for Eastern Suburbs, Wests and Manly, has been the salary-cap auditor during the entire course of the NRL competition.

While NRL officials lauded the fact that nine different premiers have been crowned since 1998, club officials have been regularly frustrated by his power.

While more significant changes to the salary cap will come into effect in 2015, officials are still considering raising the second-tier ceiling in time for next year.

Schubert faced significant scrutiny last season over the second-tier salary cap after the Penrith Panthers were forced to drop fullback Matt Moylan.

''That's the one we're thinking more around in regards to an earlier introduction,'' Doyle said.

Following several focus- group discussions involving stakeholders in the game, including players, supporters, player managers and the media, officials will now schedule separate sessions on various parts of the review that still have merit for the new year. Officials will discuss the prospective changes with the chief executives of the clubs in February before they are officially approved by the ARL Commission in March.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/as-ian-schubert-steps-down-nrl-shifts-salary-cap-responsibility-to-integrity-unit-20131218-2zlgc.html#ixzz2nr4QBQ9u

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6