I have borderline personality disorder (BPD). AMA, please.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
10 Ways to Support a Friend with Borderline Personality Disorder

By Kelly Oribine
November 11, 2016

http://www.kellyoribine.com/2016/11/10-ways-to-support-friend-with.html

Last winter my life fell to ****. I couldn’t function. My substance abuse and reckless behaviour escalated and began to frighten the people around me, and myself. After a short stay in my friendly neighbourhood psych ward I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. BPD is a devastating mental illness characterized by intense and raw emotions, a frantic fear of abandonment, reckless and impulsive behaviour, and often self harm and suicidality.

For me, the diagnosis made a world of sense. All of a sudden the previous 15 years of my life made sense. I finally had an explanation for my pain, an observable reason for my chaotic behaviour. I could finally begin healing because we knew what was wrong. But my friends didn’t have that same aha! moment. They were left wondering how to love and support me, both in times of crisis and on ordinary grey days. This list is for them, and for anyone who loves someone living with BPD.

Each person's experiences with BPD is different, and I can only speak for myself about what will help me when I’m suffering, but there's a good chance that if a friend with BPD shared this article with you that these are ways they would like to be supported as well.

1. When I am discouraged, Remind me of past successes. I often cannot remember anything that doesn't coincide with my current feeling. If I am depressed I can’t remember ever feeling happy, If I’m anxious I can’t recall ever feeling safe. Be specific if you can, remind me that I've survived some pretty ****ty stuff and I can survive this too.

2. Remind me that normal is relative. That I'm not a freak or hopeless. Anyone who has been through what I've been through and has the challenges I have would be struggling with whatever I am in this moment. So in that respect, my fears and feelings are perfectly normal.

3. Distract me. Tell me about the great new book you are reading or that great new man you are dating or what you ate for dinner last night. Remind me to journal or exercise or create something. When my thoughts and feelings are spinning out of control I sometimes need help refocusing that energy in a safer and healthier way.

4. Don't be afraid to ask me if I'm safe, if I have a plan to hurt or kill myself. Asking me point blank reminds me that it is safe to tell on myself. And that somebody cares whether I live or die. If you fear for my safety, get a professional involved. I want to live, but I have moments where all I can see is a way out. If thinking about suicide turns into making plans, I cannot be alone until I’ve been assessed by a mental health professional.

5. Play up my successes and play down my crises. Nobody likes to be pegged as "attention seeking" but a very present temptation for me is to engage in risky behaviour so that people will come to my aid and tell me that I matter. So celebrate with me when my life is ticking along quietly with no big crisis. A quick text to say “hi” when nothing is wrong shows me that I don’t need to act out in order to be cared about.

6. Affirm and validate instead of criticizing and dismissing. When I feel abandoned or betrayed or vulnerable, my perception of the events is more powerful than the reality. Accept that I feel the way I do, acknowledge and validate those feelings. You don’t have to agree with my sometimes skewed understanding of the scenario in order to accept that my feelings about it are legitimate and genuine.

7. It's okay to set boundaries. If I'm texting or calling you too much, tell me. Preferably kindly and when I'm not in distress. Remember that my greatest fear is being abandoned by someone I think I need, so assure me that you aren't going anywhere and that you are setting these boundaries because it's what is best for both of us and our friendship.

8. Know that I don't mean to be clingy. Since I am sometimes unable to sooth my own difficult emotions and I have an ever changing sense of identity, I tend to attach myself to people who help me to feel safe and loved. I might latch on to you, don’t get weirded out. Understand that I don't consciously choose who I will latch on to, and I don’t want to be this way. Through therapy and practicing of new skills I will learn to be more independent. In the mean time, refer to tip #7.

9. Have normal conversations with me. My life right now is a whirlwind of appointments and meetings and self care, and it can be hard to relate to friends who are living with a more ordinary set of challenges and experiences. But please don’t let that stop you. I need to laugh and chat and feel like a regular part of the human race, to feel like I did before mental illness blew my life into fragments. A good chat over a cup of coffee can go a long way to making me feel like there is hope for a normal-ish life again someday.

10. Don’t give up on me. I know that when I hurt myself, it hurts those who love me. I know that I can be needy and clingy and irrational. And although I am making progress, some days I return to old habits of thinking and behaving. I start conflicts and push people away. But those times that I am difficult to love are the times I need it most, so please continue to be patient with me.

Loving each other well is hard work, but it is a sacred work. I am thankful for all the people engaged in the hard and sacred work of loving me when I am most unlovable.

http://www.kellyoribine.com/2016/11/10-ways-to-support-friend-with.html

21032549_846947185467951_8765705318188436993_n.jpg

Why are some people with certain mental illnesses, such as BPD and psychopathy, frequently surprisingly good at understanding people?

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-some-...tly-surprisingly-good-at-understanding-people

By Keisha Vida (Multiple diagnosis, autodidact)

The actual diagnostic criteria for BPD and psychopathy dictate they actually know very little about understanding people. However, I would say that high functioning people with BPD and psychopathy are absolutely excellent at it.

To become high functioning, you have to learn to question and override your reflex reactions and emotions (or lack thereof, in psychopathy). You have to study people, and in my case, psychology, to understand yourself and how your thought process differs from that of neurotypicals. To be high functioning dictates that you need to learn A LOT about neurotypicals, and we can, because we are surrounded by them. If you were surrounded by BPD and/or psychopathic people, you would learn a lot about us.

To be like someone, you have to learn how to think like them, or become very, very good at mimicry. I find mimicry suitable only as a secondary method of employment; if you mimic without understanding it can become somewhat of a Russian roulette.

Psychopaths have blunted and/or absence of some emotions from which they can build upon (understanding wise, they cannot gain emotions). They can learn cognitive empathy and love. BPD people have an abundance of emotions that are all experienced more intensely and for a longer period of time than NTs; we have too much emotional empathy and do better in learning to practise cognitive and compassionate empathy.

With BPD, I often say I’ve experienced more emotions than some people could in two lifetimes. BPDs have likely experienced every emotion that you can think of and have felt them more strongly than you ever will. We are also programmed to pick up on any and all emotions in others to protect ourselves from potential dangers. We can often experience other’s emotions as our own (emotional empathy).

So, us high-functioners are forced to understand neurotypicals to get by in their world; we develop a “mask” so that we may blend in.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-some-...tly-surprisingly-good-at-understanding-people

Pat, I think they've conditioned you to think about yourself and describe yourself in a certain way, that is disempowering to yourself.

They are describing you to yourself through the lens of a mental illness, instead of encouraging you to think for yourself and make up your own mind.

Hey.

Thanks for your comments.

And for reading some of my writing on BPD. You are right about the lens of a mental illness. There are many times I feel very dis-empowered, emotional and out of control.

But over time I've learned to accept these feeling and manage them better (not perfectly but much better). Not dwelling on the bad feelings that you get almost every day. And the complicated situations those of us with BPD get into almost every weekend as well.

Observing these negative thoughts, feelings and judgments. Acknowledging them, accepting them and letting them go. Or at least trying to (it is very difficult). Thinking for myself, being who I am and making up my own mind. Doing what I feel comfortable doing, not just what I feel obligated to do out of fear or guilt.

Hope that somewhat answers your question/comment.

Later,

Pat.

[email protected]

http://stores.ebay.com.au/patorick

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/i-have-borderline-personality-disorder-bpd-ama.461654/

https://silvertails.net/threads/i-have-borderline-personality-disorder-bpd-ama-please.51172/

https://themighty.com/author/patrick-flynn/

https://www.facebook.com/patorick.flynn.1

Not to minimise BPD in any way but sometimes (lately) I wish I could let everyone see how I really feel. Instead I repress it and don't even allow myself to see it & instead lose myself in destructive diversions and binge behaviours!!

Not to minimise BPD in any way but sometimes (lately) I wish I could let everyone see how I really feel. Instead I repress it and don't even allow myself to see it & instead lose myself in destructive diversions and binge behaviours!!
Hey.

How you really feel is important. Good or bad, observing it, acknowledging it and accepting it. Or at least trying to (as hard as you possibly can).

Repressing your self with destructive diversions and binge behaviors is not the answer to your suffering. You are just numbing the pain and it doesn't go away like that.

Expressing yourself in the way that you have is good. Right thought and right intention. It will be ok. You are important. You matter. People care about you. Not everyone is going to get you but that's ok. Focus on the people who do and cherish them.

#please

Later,

Pat.

Hey.

How you really feel is important. Good or bad, observing it, acknowledging it and accepting it. Or at least trying to (as hard as you possibly can).

Repressing your self with destructive diversions and binge behaviors is not the answer to your suffering. You are just numbing the pain and it doesn't go away like that.

Expressing yourself in the way that you have is good. Right thought and right intention. It will be ok. You are important. You matter. People care about you. Not everyone is going to get you but that's ok. Focus on the people who do and cherish them.

#please

Later,

Pat.
Well said. Some really deep and meaningful advice. Thanks for your posts.

https://fpmt.org/lama-zopa-rinpoche...e-news/others-are-only-objects-of-compassion/

Others Are Only Objects of Compassion

March 4, 2015

Originally posted in Lama Zopa Rinpoche News.

KDL_KLZR_DSC3150-web-540x431.jpg

In late November and early December 2014, Lama Zopa Rinpoche taught as part of the annual month-long Kopan course at Kopan Monastery in Nepal.

Rinpoche’s teachings covered a variety of subjects. What follows is an excerpt from a lightly edited transcript and video extract:

So you can see now – your life came from your mind.

In essence, your life, happiness, problems, whatever happiness, whatever problems, how much problems and how much happiness you have, the whole thing came from your mind.

It came from your mind.

Others who are angry with you, who kill you, who steal your possessions, who cheat you, who do the ten nonvirtuous actions, those who do those to you, those who harm you, they are purely, purely objects of compassion, your objects of compassion, because if you hadn’t harmed them in the past, if you hadn’t done those different harms, there would be no reason AT ALL for them to harm you in this life.

There is no reason AT ALL!

So it is a dependent arising; it all depends on how you treated them in the past. So it is the result… How they treat you, good or bad, it is the result of how you treated them in the past.

So whatever harm they give you, they are just a condition, they are purely an object of your compassion.

You treated them badly in a past life, so as a result, the karmic result is that they cheat you, that they harm you. It is just the result of your past negative karma of harming them.

So it all comes from your mind, it comes from your negative mind in the past, so they are just objects of your compassion.

You can find more MP3 recordings, transcripts and short video excerpts of Rinpoche’s teachings from the Kopan course on FPMT.org.

Learn more about Lama Zopa Rinpoche, spiritual director of the Foundation for the Preservation of Mahayana Tradition (FPMT), and Rinpoche’s vision for a better world. Sign up to receive news and updates.

https://fpmt.org/lama-zopa-rinpoche...e-news/others-are-only-objects-of-compassion/

Note: Gratitude and thanks to Amber for the link. You're ok. Later, Pat.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8