How will we attract players

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I have said it before and I will keep saying it.

We are a shambles at the moment and will not be serious title contenders until Penns,Kelly Zorba, Bozo ,Cartwright and Seibold leave this joint. They all are impacting on this club in very negative ways.

I have never been more embarrassed to be a manly supporter and life long member than this year , not for our on field team but the diobiocal management setup we have.

Get over yourself Turbo....how old were you during the NE debacle?
Personally, I love your enthusiasm & reckon you have more idea than you get credit for, but that's a silly call.
Torn apart by injuries with 4-5 new key players trying to adjust plus a new coach killed the results...throw in a bust 5/8 trial.
1-2 new signings & look forward to you doing cartwheels in 2017.

Very good points but we aren't the only club who had key injuries to key players. Titans, Storm, Warriors, Panthers have all had key injuries but they are still playing well. Injuries aren't an excuse based on this year, what other clubs have done is win. We have used them as an excuse.

1. Money.

2. An established coach with a win/loss record better than 60%, getting teams to the top 8 at least 80% of the years coached. A solid array of coaching staff also with a decent track record. Talented team mates that can contribute to their growth success.

3. A professional and well presented owner, front office, board, marketing, membership and administration team.

4. TPA/sponsorship opportunities.

5. Career opportunities/chance to win a premiership. And personal growth opportunities.

6. Location/close to family etc.

7. Minimal controversy, no major problems hanging over the club.

8. The action of the club speaks louder than words. They don't talk themselves up and fail. ZtH is not the media fluff spinner.

9. Having an effective injury management plan and rehabilitation facilities.

10. Having a winning culture.

etc, etc.

There are many, many things that attract a player to play for a certain club and I have highlighted some of them above, in no particular order.

Unfortunately we do not seem that attractive at the moment to top talent. We are attracting journey men and desperados and they are being passed off as great signings, i.e. Lewis Brown was touted as a great international signing cue the fan fare. (If I saw that he would not be a great signing surely others with more experience could see this.........Bozo. But no continue with the propaganda.....Sigh.)

We have been rumoured to have chased some great talent (and not so great) in the past few months but have just not hooked them, that is a problem and I hope our owners see this and sort it out.

Last edited:
Some of my most pleasurable dreams are of...........
Max Delmege putting together a consortium of successful business folk and buying back the farm....

Hmmmmm farm... aaarrrggghh.
Oh yeah baby!!!!
Then I wake in a lather of sweat to the cold, stark reality that....
We have what we have and can't do without it !!!

Very good points but we aren't the only club who had key injuries to key players. Titans, Storm, Warriors, Panthers have all had key injuries but they are still playing well. Injuries aren't an excuse based on this year, what other clubs have done is win. We have used them as an excuse.
Your on the money to a degree...thing is we had more NEW players against other teams having a more long term squad helping them adjust quicker when replacing players.....especially CORE players.
Do agree however, we had a good enough team even accounting for injuries, to get better results than we did....it's pretty dissappointing to be out of finals contention with 3 weeks to play, but Manly is a team who have a proven record of fighting back against adversity...2017 will be amongst the top 8 - stay solid mate.

With this:

trent-barrett-in-action-during-the-australian-rugby-league-teams-picture-id1463936

barrett_460x276.jpg

Zoolander1.jpg

Sure, his coaching credentials to date aren't great, but he is attractive. Or so I'm told.

Your on the money to a degree...thing is we had more NEW players against other teams having a more long term squad helping them adjust quicker when replacing players.....especially CORE players.
Do agree however, we had a good enough team even accounting for injuries, to get better results than we did....it's pretty dissappointing to be out of finals contention with 3 weeks to play, but Manly is a team who have a proven record of fighting back against adversity...2017 will be amongst the top 8 - stay solid mate.
Yep manly do have a solid record of fighting back after rough years however the club we support right now is not the manly sea eagles I don't even know what this club is ATM but it ain't manly.

If the club Tom and Jake leave for is winning for sure! ATM who would want to play for us, we just need to have a clean out again. Attracting players IMO won't be the issue over the next 2-3 years it will be keeping them.
So yet another clean out?Like last year?By the same administration?By the same board member?By the same "head of football"?Spending money on outside players is not the answer.How much money have Storm spent this yr on those other than Smith,Cronk,Slater and Bromwich?

So yet another clean out?Like last year?By the same administration?By the same board member?By the same "head of football"?Spending money on outside players is not the answer.How much money have Storm spent this yr on those other than Smith,Cronk,Slater and Bromwich?
Yes another clean out accept the board goes as do all the staff. And spending money on outside players is our only option but we should do it smart, instead of looking for instant success look long term.

To attract great players we also need to realise we can do better and then get better. At the moment I don't know if anyone at the HQ in Narrabeen even thinks we need to get better, let alone working on how to attract better players. (And the right players.)

I know for a fact that upper management is blaming the NRL draw and injuries for our performance this season. This is really quite serious and does not bode well for next season.
HQ is not taking any responsibility what so ever for what has transpired and while ever their heads are in the sand we will struggle.

Last edited:
Yep manly do have a solid record of fighting back after rough years however the club we support right now is not the manly sea eagles I don't even know what this club is ATM but it ain't manly.
Fair call....definately a new Manly to say...the recent golden era...Stewart's, Watmough, Kite- these boys....
But the new generation, led by the T Bros & Co only need 1-2 key players on board to give a legitimate sight to compete with the best.
Don't be surprised with the addition of a big name gun....& 1-2 handy players, we will all be in a better place this time next year.

Yes another clean out accept the board goes as do all the staff. And spending money on outside players is our only option but we should do it smart, instead of looking for instant success look long term.
But we have a private owner that we wouldn't exist without.......
Dilemma!!!

To attract great players we also need to realise we can do better and then get better. At the moment I don't know if anyone at the HQ in Narrabeen even thinks we need to get better and therefore attract or get better players.

I know for a fact that upper management is blaming the NRL draw and injuries for our performance this season. This is really quite serious and does not bode well for next season.
HQ is not taking any responsibility what so ever for what has transpired and while ever their heads are in the sand we will struggle.

That's very concerning your last paragraph but I think you are on the money upper management are clueless and know they are screwed but are not willing to take responsibility and own up they got it wrong.

I have said it before and I will keep saying it.

We are a shambles at the moment and will not be serious title contenders until Penns,Kelly Zorba, Bozo ,Cartwright and Seibold leave this joint. They all are impacting on this club in very negative ways.

I have never been more embarrassed to be a manly supporter and life long member than this year , not for our on field team but the diobiocal management setup we have.

Did you support Manly from 99-2005?

Yep, and then you can lay your $millions down to replace theirs and call the shots how you see it.

True, as the sex, drugs and gambling mob have all left the building :D

Players can be bought, but there has to be a simplified game plan to get them engaged :wait:

Look at the Titans, Eels, Raiders and even the Sharks games and the player pool.
Manly have much more talent. :)

The forwards are on the improve, whilst our backs are still uncoordinated:cool:

Manly have 6 months to adjust their style now @:)

We were a bigger shambles last off season and nabbed Tapau and Walker who was a kangaroo centre and 20 at the time. So long as we have money which we do we'll be fine because players love money.

^ True, Loobs - money, as a wise woman once said, changes everything. But don't forget Walker was coming off a prescription drugs scandal (which would have sent alarm bells ringing for most clubs) and wasn't wanted at Souths as a result.

We were a bigger shambles last off season and nabbed Tapau and Walker who was a kangaroo centre and 20 at the time. So long as we have money which we do we'll be fine because players love money.
Maybe. But if so, the bigger shambles last off season was self-inflicted.

We'd had an horrendous injury run, the worst in decades, and we only just missed the eight. With a bunch of ageing stars well past their peak. And with an apparently disrupting clique that needed to be shown the door, but were instead feted.

We needed calm, decisive action. And we got dithering and personal agendas. Enter Bozo. His calls have been mixed. Some of them (Gutho in particular) were incomprehensible. And it would've been better to focus on a slow rebuild with up and comers. The positive is that he broke the indecisiveness that was totally killing our future. And so we do seem to now have a competitive pack (with mongrel) to build on.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6