How will this years top 8 fare in 2022??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
- Roosters improve due to personnel returning...

- Eels will take confidence from almost beating the premiers without their key no.9.

- Storm will be really hungry to right this year’s wrong

- Souths regress without Reynolds and Bennett

- Panthers just managed to win it this year and without the burning desire that fuelled this year’s campaign, may regress a little (especially given they won on effort more than anything else)

- Titans will still struggle...spine not good enough

- Manly to scrape into 8. I don’t know that Tommy can replicate this season...he’ll be good but it’s long odds to recreate it again. Daly and Foz another year closer to retirement. Defence not hungry enough to challenge the really good sides. I’m also worried that Hasler does the opposite to other coaches and the game plan gets too complex the deeper into the season we go. It looked like he overcooked us a bit at the end of the year.

- Roosters improve due to personnel returning...

- Eels will take confidence from almost beating the premiers without their key no.9.

- Storm will be really hungry to right this year’s wrong

- Souths regress without Reynolds and Bennett

- Panthers just managed to win it this year and without the burning desire that fuelled this year’s campaign, may regress a little (especially given they won on effort more than anything else)

- Titans will still struggle...spine not good enough

- Manly to scrape into 8. I don’t know that Tommy can replicate this season...he’ll be good but it’s long odds to recreate it again. Daly and Foz another year closer to retirement. Defence not hungry enough to challenge the really good sides. I’m also worried that Hasler does the opposite to other coaches and the game plan gets too complex the deeper into the season we go. It looked like he overcooked us a bit at the end of the year.
That line @Snake about our defence not being hungry enough is key also in my assessment. I feel it's our biggest weakness and why at the moment can not see us troubling the big sides yet.

Our squad is still very unbalanced and turbo can not be relied upon so heavily in 2022.

In my mind we are still 3-4 quality players short off truly contending, 2 tough hard nosed forwards a quality centre and a back up for turbo.

Think I agree us in 6th-8th range, we will do enough even if turbo plays 50% of matches to play finals just don't see us going deep.

We are not far off contending for a title I think 2023-2025 is our best chance.

1. Panthers
2. Storm
3. Eagles
4. Roosters
5. Eels
6. Titans
7. Sharks
8. Raiders

For mine
Probably very close I’d say although the topic is about how the top 8 from this year will fare.

So in your opinion this years a grand Finalists don’t even make the 8??

Knights I do get.

Here are my Tiers

Top Tier - Genuine Premiership Heavyweights

1. Penrith
2. Melbourne
3. Roosters (will be much improved with a full squad and I expect them to leapfrog us in terms of teams that can actually win the comp)

Second Tier - Premiership Contenders but a step below the big guns

4. Souths (Demoted from the top tier due to coach and roster downgrades)
5. Manly (Cant beat the big guns when it counts and doubt that changes)

Third Tier - Genuine Top 8 teams

6. Parramatta
7. Cronulla (made the 8 this year and have made some astute signings)

Fourth Tier - Fighting for one top 8 spot

8. Knights
9. Gold Coast
10. Canberra
11. Canterbury

Fifth Tier

The rest

Here are my Tiers

1. Penrith
2. Melbourne
3. Roosters (will be much improved with a full squad and I expect them to leapfrog us in terms of teams that can actually win the comp)

6. Parramatta

8. Knights
9. Gold Coast
10. Canberra
11. Canterbury

Fifth Tier

The rest
Fair summation

Here are my Tiers

1. Penrith
2. Melbourne

6. Parramatta

8. Knights
9. Gold Coast
10. Canberra
11. Canterbury

Fifth Tier

The rest
I hope Not but I think the Eels could be a problem next year. They played without Sivo and Mahoney at the back end of the year and beat Melbourne before taking Penrith to the 80th minute. If injuries are kept to a minimum, I can see them being a tough side to beat.

I hope Not but I think the Eels could be a problem next year. They played without Sivo and Mahoney at the back end of the year and beat Melbourne before taking Penrith to the 80th minute. If injuries are kept to a minimum, I can see them being a tough side to beat.
Won’t please people but they are my smokey next year, the nrl has had one western Sydney team win they will want parramatta to win in the next couple of years.

plus I think the panthers final against them this year has shown them the blueprint in how to win big matches.

injury free I can see them making it to a preliminary final next year.. I hate saying it but they look on the up.

Hi Snake, agreed in a vacuum the last 6 weeks of the Eels were ultra impressive. And I would expect them to have another solid regular season. But there is enough evidence over the last few years IMO to see them not having enough to be a genuine title threat.

Hi Snake, agreed in a vacuum the last 6 weeks of the Eels were ultra impressive. And I would expect them to have another solid regular season. But there is enough evidence over the last few years IMO to see them not having enough to be a genuine title threat.
Maybe on par with us. Until both clubs prove otherwise we are both flat track bully sides. Manly needs from 2022 to start hunting as a pack and start hurting teams in defence. Until we do that yes we score flashy tries but that won’t be winning finals games anytime soon. Roosters game this year they had half there squad out so I don’t count that final.

Penrith and Melbourne will be thereabouts again.

Rabbits will dip coz of losing players, not too far, they still have gun players in their 17 to make top 6 but they won't be an actual threat come finals

Roosters will be dangerous, I'm scared of this team, they're starting 17 is stacked and they will be hungry after this year

As much as I hate Parra, they are improving, and I see them getting better. Players like Moses and Mahoney are maturing a lot and I feel they will get even better next with that whole team knowing how it feels three years in a row to be a week 2 finals exit team. They got a huge chip on their shoulder.

Tits will grow, they're still amid their rebuild. Contenders, no, but will perform somewhat like this year, win more of those games they would lose this year by improving their defence. AJ Campbell and Sexton will be an excitement machine.

Newcastle are weird, Pearce getting old so they're reliant on Ponga a lot. I don't see them in the 8, lot of people reckon surely they improve after making 8 with a lot of injuries this year. I don't know, I can see Cronulla or Raiders overtaking them. Broncos and Dogs are on the up, not expecting a fast fix for those two teams but you never know in this game.

Now finally our beloved Manly, don't understand how some of fans here don't reckon we will improve from this year and be contenders. We have a young core that has grown throughout this season in some difficult adversities, they will grow even more and have that fire in the belly. I could go into more depth but I'll be typing forever, but I'll just say I'm confident if we stay relatively healthy, use that fire in our belly from this year's final series, we can be contending again. This year was the year our premiership window opened again, we will be there next year, more ready than ever.

Last edited:
Maybe on par with us. Until both clubs prove otherwise we are both flat track bully sides. Manly needs from 2022 to start hunting as a pack and start hurting teams in defence. Until we do that yes we score flashy tries but that won’t be winning finals games anytime soon. Roosters game this year they had half there squad out so I don’t count that final.
Do you have cafes? If so, boycotted.

Bulldogs finish in Top 8. Bulldogs beat Manly in both 2022 games. Trent becomes a supercoach, basks in the glory.

2022 gains

Matt Burton (Panthers), Josh Addo-Carr (Storm), Brent Naden (Panthers), Matt Dufty (Dragons), Paul Vaughan (Dragons), Tevita Pangai jnr (Broncos/Panthers), Josh Cook (Rabbitohs), John Asiata (Broncos), Max King (Storm)

My top 8

Penrith
Storm
Manly (Grand finalists/Premiers)
Roosters
Souths
Eels
Sharks
Dogs (after losing first 5 games and sacking Twent for Wayne)

The one team which will be interesting to watch is Canterbury. They have bought 7-8 very good players so they must improve. But how much is the question? Will these 'guns-for-hire' fire for a club of which they are only there for mercenary reasons?
It's hard to buy team spirit, and while I think they may sneak into the top eight I can't see them being a real threat to the top six clubs.
Agree
Bulldogs and broncos to slip into 8 and two to drop out with one being new castle

Penrith and Storm on top
Daylight second
Only team with the upside and improvement with so many players in a breakout 2021 is Manly.
As Manly fans, see a very positive season with the abilty to keep around that Top 4, but need to improve a fair way when it's time to step up....the rugged finals type footy is a different animal and will need to have way more steel and resolve in the big games, if to be seen as a genuine contender....can they ....yes....will they....I hope so

Penrith will dip. Intensity will drop but 2ill still be top 4
Melbourne will dip, depth and injuries will take its toll in 2022 ( Ihave said this every year)
Souths will drop. Lucky to be in the 8.
Parramatta definitely top 8
Newcastle, much the same as 2021, could miss the 8
Easts top 8
Gold Coast much the same
St George. Look like champs at the start but will wain unless the young players take hold of the game. Bottom 8
Canterbury, threaten the top 8
Brisbane threaten the top 8 and I believe they will get there
NZW, bottom 8
NQ bottom 8, challenge wooden spoon
West Tigers, bottom 8, challenge wooden spoon
Canberra, might make the 8
Cronulla should be top 8
Manly top 8 with a premiership

I can’t see the top 6 changing… it was miles ahead of the rest. The order may shift, but it’ll be the same teams.

Positions 7 and 8 could be any number of teams.

As hard as it is to say, Manly are probably the only team that could slip if we don’t get a good run with injuries like this year. Turbo playing 15+ games is critical

The top 6 from this season will be there with just the order changing.
7+8 will have a lot to do with the stupid draw, whoever gets a favourable draw playing more bottom 8 teams twice while playing the top 6 teams once and playing against the top sides during the state of origin will make up the last 2 positions.

Rabbits will definitely struggles as has been mentioned here without Reynolds and new coach.

Penrith will still be a top force but I think next year will be their real test to maintain this form for a third year while also backing up a premiership. I think they will also need to balance origin more successfully than this year. I also think losing Capewell will hurt, him and martin laying a foundation and doing the dirty work allowed Kikau to be a greater attacking threat, if he is to pick up more defensive duties I think he will be less effective.

Storm will be a top force as always, I have begun to not look too much into their losses as they also seem to find a way. But seeing as it is the off season I may as well take a jab. I think that Finucane leaving means they can either start a bigger man at 13 and smith at 9 to which they would do similar to this year by bringing Grant on after 20 and moving Smith to a running forward. The other alternative is if they move Smith to 13 and although I think this looks great on paper I think Smith's effectiveness at 13 comes when the middle is tired and he is able to use his leg speed to get over the advantage line. Although I don't think he would look astray starting at 13 I think his effectiveness will be limited.

I will throw in the chooks here, I think they will be a great team next year, like our team this year has been great experience for their younger players and I think with Keary and Collins in particular returning as well as the signing of Watson they could become a very dangerous team again.

But hey what do I know? What I can say is that I am glad we have a stable squad and hopefully Dessie will be able to bring back that old fashioned defend for your mate culture and a bit of patience in our play.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8