Hooker for 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hooker who knows really I mean a fill in 6 seems fine, a - untalented toiler Croker b - brilliant yet erratic - Cust c - returning club legend who injury prone - Foran

I fear we will be in a world of pain if we do not sign a recognized 9. Our 6 and 7 are going to be under enormous pressure without an effective 9.

It is the elephant in the room and I do not understand why the coaching team have not sorted this out!

They must think TNI ( the next immortal) or Cust is the answer.

Of course we old farts no **** all!!

Let's see, can Manly turn an ex-Raider half into a quality hooker?
Why not, we've done it before!

Haha maybe I just like playing devil's advocate because so many have written him off.
There is a tendency among fans to think that players can only be top quality if they have instant success in 1st grade when aged 20.
That's not always the case!

Haha maybe I just like playing devil's advocate because so many have written him off.
There is a tendency among fans to think that players can only be top quality if they have instant success in 1st grade when aged 20.
I think Davey for 1, proved this theory correct at the Eels in 2020...think Croker can improve, but have a vibe it will be a wily old veteran getting first shot at 9...who knows really ??? I mean the mad scientist Des is still probably juggling this puzzle piece at this moment.

Yeah; however, Crocker isn’t in Monnas class.
Monas class was visible to most by the end of his Manly journey - as a hooker - but in the early times as a half he was routinely derided and occasionally ridiculed, if you recall. I think someone even dubbed him Mr Concentric Circles!

Written him off for many good reasons , the main one being he’s not first grade material.

No dramas with toilers , every side needs them but they have to be a standard.

His standard is ****house

Monas class was visible to most by the end of his Manly journey - as a hooker - but in the early times as a half he was routinely derided and occasionally ridiculed, if you recall. I think someone even dubbed him Mr Concentric Circles!
I always thought he was very good in both roles. He did tend to hold the ball a little too much as half but still well above Crocker.

Crocker is a hard worker, very fit and gives his all - that is to be admired; however, he just doesn’t have the ability of a first grader and has had a number of opportunities to shine and failed.

Many people recall one game where he made a good pass for a try; however he bombed two tries with bad reads in that same game . Others (not you specifically) seem to think one or two good plays in half a game warrants first grade selection, when the rest of his games have been poor. It is just the reality of his situation, it is nothing against him personally; he just isn’t what we need. I’d rather give Cust the nine, and even then it’s a gamble not playing an established hooker.

To be fair I grew up with Monas and he was definitely a late bloomer! Not sure he was actually ahead of Croker at the same age
I must have been watching two different players then. You could see Monnas ability even at Canberra, I see none with Lachlan that you would call first grade quality. I just don’t, but each to their own. Time will tell how he fares and whether he continues as he has or whether he will suddenly emerge as a good first grader. He is 24 now, so time is a wasting.

There have been a couple of exceptions like Cook and Davey; however, Davey hasn’t achieved anything yet but I have greater hopes for him.

Last edited:
Guess that i am one of those that always or generally rated Monas well and recall quite clearly that he was regarded as a good buy and acquisition when he was lured away from the Raiders . Also thought again that he was a quite consistent and well performed half [ and top kicking game ] for Manly and actually did question a bit the need to recruit the Ox at the time , although on balance was warranted but i can recall quite a few ordinary games by the Ox in Manly colours with the exception of 08 . Think that it is quite obvious with Croker , does O K [ and really has to be ] much closer to the ruck , can play a bit of decent and useful footy there and looks like in line to play some role there at least until Fainu can return

I know don't about writing him off too quick. Croker has since 2018 made 33 appearances for Manly. That is sufficient opportunity for a player's attributes to be displayed. He hasn’t shown enough to suggest to me he will make a effective Hooker in first grade. Rarely provided impact in the halves and does not appear to have great pace off the mark.

I always thought he was very good in both roles. He did tend to hold the ball a little too much as half but still well above Crocker.

Crocker is a hard worker, very fit and gives his all - that is to be admired; however, he just doesn’t have the ability of a first grader and has had a number of opportunities to shine and failed.

Many people recall one game where he made a good pass for a try; however he bombed two tries with bad reads in that same game . Others (not you specifically) seem to think one or two good plays in half a game warrants first grade selection, when the rest of his games have been poor. It is just the reality of his situation, it is nothing against him personally; he just isn’t what we need. I’d rather give Cust the nine, and even then it’s a gamble not playing an established hooker.
I remember when Gift was considered a reserve grader and was only signed so that we could get his younger brother to sign. Spent a couple of years as a reserve before cementing a spot in the top grade. Not saying Croker will turn out the same and think that Cust will get first go but happy to see how things pan out with Foran there to guide Cust, Croker and Schuster.

Poor TNI he certainly is the current whipping boy on here.

Did he get off to a great start on debut with a couple of meat pies and then get injured? Score a try on his return and shortly after got injured? I certainly have a memory of so great games in the halves followed by some games where it wasn't clear if he was actual out on the field. His defence has always been his greatest strength for mine. It is undisputed he took so wrong options playing at hooker. I still say he out played Levi both interns of tightness around the ruck and ball delivery. Id like to see him focusing on his running game and his kicking game this off season. No matter who our hooker is they have to be an options on the last. With a full preseason, hopefully more on field direction, and play making options.

He is capable of playing a role and doing it well.

Not everyone in the team needs to be a superstar. We be fine.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2