Hodko

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
One thing that has been telling, since Hodko came home to Manly we have not once for a full game had a proper dummy half.

Hodko's first game was against Melbourne and he came off the bench. Api got binned in that game and was suspended for the Canberra game. Against the Raiders, we had Lewis Brown and Matt Wright at dummy half. I dare say that if Api wasn't suspended, we would have won that game. As it was we only just lost.

Against the Warriors, for the first 15 minutes we looked good and were leading 8-0. Then Api goes off injured, was replaced by Matt Wright and while he wasn't bad and I certainly don't blame him for the loss, we ended up falling apart in a big way.

Then came Saturday night where Hodko actually spent over half the game playing dummy half.

For mine, that is another reason why Hodkinson hasn't looked as good as we had hoped he would be. Just take a look at how Canberra suddenly came to life on Sunday against the Tigpies when Hodgson returned to the side instead of having a fill-in.

Last edited:
One thing that has been telling, since Hodko came home to Manly we have not once for a full game had a proper dummy half.

Hodko's first game was against Melbourne and he came off the bench. Api got binned in that game and was suspended for the Canberra game. Against the Raiders, we had Lewis Brown and Matt Wright at dummy half. I dare say that if Api wasn't suspended, we would have won that game. As it was we only just lost.

Against the Warriors, for the first 15 minutes we looked good and were leading 8-0. Then Api goes off injured, was replaced by Matt Wright and while he wasn't bad and I certainly don't blame him for the loss, we ended up falling apart in a big way.

Then came Saturday night where Hodko actually spent over half the game playing dummy half.

For mine, that is another reason why Hodkinson hasn't looked as good as we had hoped he would be. Just take a look at how Canberra suddenly came to life on Sunday against the Tigpies when Hodgson returned to the side instead of having a fill-in.
Legit with that rating mate, good read.

Hodko just ain't that good guys, hasn't been for about 3 years

But he is certainly better than he is showing, or has been allowed to show at Manly.

I still believe that Hodko should actually be given control of the team on the field by Barrett. He's a proven organiser and that is something DCE has failed time and time again at doing. He can't organise for Manly, he never got the hang of it with Qld. Yet Barrett persists with the "this is DCE's team" thing. He's just not that type of halfback. Never was and its doubtful he ever will be. Let it be his team being the captain sure, but not by running the team on the field because he just can't do it.

Even though Blake Green was essentially the sidekick, last year he did do a lot of the team organisation and low and behold like when Foran played that role, Cherry without that burden was arguably the best halfback in the NRL. This year he has had Croker who was only there because we couldn't sign anyone else and Hastings was on the outer, so like when Walks was the 5/8 for the first half of 2016, Cherry had to do everything and his form suffered. But the problem is that Barrett basically has Hodko playing the same way he had Croker doing it - hand offs to ambling forwards and the odd short kick. Cherry is still running things and to be honest, despite how hard he tries and the effort he puts in, his form is crap.

Too much emphasis is put on DCE running the team when he's shown so many times that its not his style of play.

Its a waste of Hodko's talents because he simply isn't being used as he should be used. The only thing Hodko is doing that he should be doing is the goal kicking.

And that falls back on the coach. He's the one who decides what is what and who plays what role.

Last edited:
Hodko is a LOT better than he has been with us. He is being stifled...just like our backs that don't get anywhere near the clean ball they should.

It's Barrett, DCE or both.

DCE should play #9.

Backs are getting heaps of clean ball - straight from the dummy half.

If they farkers got back out wide and allowed us to have some shape we might be able to give them something, instead they are making slow play the balls on the 3rd and 4th tackles meaning there is no time to move things wide against the set defence.

Going by this training photo, Manly have solved their 5/8 crises, the salary cap witch hunt, the hastings drama and Mr November for their pin up calendar...!

barrettt738933334.jpg

Going by this training photo, Manly have solved their 5/8 crises, the salary cap witch hunt, the hastings drama and Mr November for their pin up calendar...!

barrettt738933334.jpg
Is that Metcalf on the left? If so he looks a bit more solid than when he first arrived, maybe another halves option for next year?

1. Tom Trbojevic
6. Trent Barrett
7. Daly Cherry-Evans ($)
9. Manese Fainu

Since our seasons dead anyway, ide love for the halves to be told to play how they want against the panthers.. I was a big supporter of bringing hodkinson back, but I'm pretty sure he didn't come back just to run at the line, make predictable handoff
to who ever is cutting back on the inside,rince and repeat over and over again...

He would be better than Hodko now . Hodko’s defence is diabolical: and at least Tom Nitro Wright can attack and burn the opposition.Metcalf may have to play a few NSW Cup games - another future star.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6