Hodges In 2015

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Hodges can obviously play footy, his biggest problem is the fact he has 1 of the worlds most consistent & quality hookers in front of him.
Still a youngster, he has great attributes of the modern day 9 & his abilities are far more than individual.
By asking many questions of that ruck area it takes heat off DCE & Foran which will add scoring ability to a classy attacking side who unfortunately at times, looks short of options.
Hid defence also seems solid, including his limited game time in pressure situations & big games at the back of the 2014 season.
I like him as in impact introduced 25-30 mins into each half but definately see him as a great option in the 17.
Can understand ppl wanting a big boppers rotating off the bench, but 3 can get the job done imo, as we have some great backrow depth who are built to play long minutes in Buhrer, Symonds, Horo & Leary.
Big concerns leaving him out of the 17 are....
Other clubs will circle & offer him the starting position.
The importance of a dummy half is key, Melbourne with no Smith are rudderless.
Ballin is nearing careers end & need to be replaced.
Hodges already has that genuine Manly pedigree instilled - toughness & attitude.
Has skill , speed, vision & tenacity - ticks the boxes & will only improve.

Have to agree with all of that Maxta... Hodges will be great against tiring defensive lines as he proved against the Dogs last year and again against Cronulla.

Hodges is good but he isn't a great hooker yet. Ballin is. There is no need to reduce Ballin's minutes until he is showing us that it should be the case and as such, Hodges in the 17 is a waste of a spot.

Remember, Hodges only had a chance at the end of last year because Ballin was injured for the first time in about 20 years. He is in impeccable shape and as we lose vets, we need his steadying play out of dummy half. He rarely makes a bad play whereas Hodges, while sometimes doing good, still likes to take it upon himself to make something happen, which shows confidence but also some stupidity. Hodges just needs to watch and wait and if a great offer comes along elsewhere, take it. I feel like he'd be easily replaced.

Considering the circumstances he has been called on to play in pressure situations, he is far more than just an easy replacement.
I also cant recall too many mistakes & in some cases, his unpredictability is something Manly can cash in on up the middle, rather than relying solely on sweeping 2nd man plays.
Good 9's are hard to find & he has the attributes to excel in the speedy modern game.
As great as Matty B still is, its time to look for the future also.
Late in each half most opposition teams would far more fear the injection of explosive ruck speed, than another big bopper who does not change the tempo.

I haven't seen him play much, but I suspect Manly might use him as a Paul Shaw type player.

Have to agree maxta, Matty B is awesome but we may only get another 2 years and will need an experienced player to step in.

Hodges should be a bench player this season.
I think its time we start rotating him with MB to transition him to take over the no.9.

Hodges, given his size and agility is a handy utility given we tend to lose a backline player throughout a few games.

He's a keeper as far as I'm concerned, I'm impressed by his attacking and defensive efforts. I'm not suggesting he can replace Ballin (yet) but I hope we hold on to him for when Ballin hangs up the boot's.
As for this year, I'm happy we have the option of having him on the bench...but still lean towards 4 big forwards for the first few games....I don't think it's any big secret that Parra is going to try and run right over the top of us in round one. I think other clubs will still see that as our Achilles heel...until we prove otherwise.

I'm not usually a fan of two hookers. Most of the top teams recently have had, generally, an 80 minute hooker, Storm (Smith), Roosters (Friend), Souths (Luke), Bulldogs (Ennis), Manly (Ballin). I think consistency in the position that handles the ball most is important. However, Hodges is making it almost impossible to leave him out of the 17. Ballin wouldn't necessarily have to drop minutes either as he could give one the big boppers a rest and play in a #13 type role, with Hodges playing dummy half.

Last edited:
Can understand ppl wanting a big boppers rotating off the bench, but 3 can get the job done imo, as we have some great backrow depth who are built to play long minutes in Buhrer, Symonds, Horo & Leary.
I said much the same after the semis last year, but a few on here didnt like the idea of giving Hodges a bench spot at the expense of a big forward. I still think he should be on the bench and agree with you maxta.

Why are No. 9's still called hookers? It's an outdated description.
So too the word 'scrums'. I favour 'meet-and-greets' to describe the forward pow-wows of today's game.

I don't understand why we haven't developed the similar hooker rotation, a'la 2007-8 when we had a solid player (Monas/Ballin) run the half for 30mins, then unleash a more creative L'Estrange type off the bench. Check out the highlights from the 08 season and see how many opportunities and tries Heath created against tired sides at the backend of 40mins.

I think a Ballin/Hodges combo worked on now, will pay huge dividends during the finals and into 2016.

Hodges is good but he isn't a great hooker yet. Ballin is. There is no need to reduce Ballin's minutes until he is showing us that it should be the case and as such, Hodges in the 17 is a waste of a spot.

Remember, Hodges only had a chance at the end of last year because Ballin was injured for the first time in about 20 years. He is in impeccable shape and as we lose vets, we need his steadying play out of dummy half. He rarely makes a bad play whereas Hodges, while sometimes doing good, still likes to take it upon himself to make something happen, which shows confidence but also some stupidity. Hodges just needs to watch and wait and if a great offer comes along elsewhere, take it. I feel like he'd be easily replaced.

I think you are way off.

Ballin played for quite a while with a 2 hooker system and it worked well with great attack as well as defence and ball distribution. When he went to an 80 minute hooker his attack from dummy half died in the ass and is far from great.

Hodges has shown us the opportunity to get back into an attacking dummy half option, by playing him 20 - 30 minutes you gain:
1. Alternate style of play meaning opposition coaches have more to deal with in planning
2. Fresher Matty Ballin = attacking Matt Ballin
3. Playing less minutes will extend Matty B's career, he is 31 now.
4 Finally a use for the 10 minute bench spot we seem to waste more often than not
5 Perfect use of a 3-5 year handover period for Hodges to slowly learn and take the mantle as one of the best hookers in the game.
6. You keep one of the better up and coming hookers happy in his progression rather than loosing him and having to move Buhrer out of his best position

Hodges made 52 tackles on debut so can handle him self well in defence. He is only going to get better with time, especially in his ball delivery and this is not going to happen sitting in NSW cup.

Toovey has quite frequently had a forward on the bench who either gets ten minutes of game time or none at all. I see no harm in having hodges in that spot.
Yes, Ballin is amazing and easily the most underrated player in the nrl, but giving him a ten-fifteen minute break each game won't be bad.
Hodges offers flair and on tired defenses could be a real menace. Imagine the enthusiasm he would bring in his stints. I love what I've seen of hodges.
Both guys love to tackle as well so getting them both game time surely can't hurt our defence.

I'm still not sold.

We got good running from dummy half from guys like Matai and Tafua. It's not key for Ballin to do it. You also mention that 10 minute forward - it is a waste (especially if its the dud Hasson) but that's a carryover from Des. You need Toovey to shift his thinking there and I don't know if any one here can do that. Especially if they are going to speed up the play the ball. That creates a greater need for fresh legs in the forwards who can run with impact and further tire the opposition pack.

I think Hodges has a place in the 17. To my mind he's only going to get better, and if the rules around quicker play of the balls actually gets enforced, he will be a real threat.

I think it will also help Matty Ballin be a bit more creative himself, as he wont be tackling non-stop for 80mins. However on the negative side Hodges will need to pick that side of his game up (not a criticism, but if you are going to sub Ballin, you need to do plenty of tackling).

Matty Ballin can be a real threat himself, and I've love to see him start being a bit more creative. I think it does however show the kind of player (and person) that Matty Ballin is. Completely selfless. He does what is needed. Tooves, Killer, Foz, DCE I'm sure have said quality quick balls need to go out to the play makers. Many hookers would get the s***s with that. Not Matty Ballin. Class

Had a good chat with him when the Sea Eagles were doing a CRL visit to Moree this week and asked him where he saw himself fitting with Matty back from injury.

He is very aware of the role Heath Lestrange played when he was at the club, he said he'd love to get an opportunity to refine his skills playing 20-30 minutes a game, and also thought it would help extend Matts playing career a fair bit by doing that.

He's loving being at the Eagles, and is prepared to bide his time but yes would love to be in the 17th spot.

There is no real reason hodges can't be on the bench as we've seen in past it does work , also what we've seen in past is that toovey can keep a forward on the bench for long periods and only get on late in a match ,with a fresher dummy half late in the games it could create more spark and in turn manly playing more of the game in the oppositions half , im not real concerned with hodges tackling he was very high on tackles made in nsw cup last year so he is not afraid to put his body on the line and with another season under his belt his defence on tackle completions will only get better . maybe it its up to toovey to play horses for courses , as in some games it wont be necessary and some it will in return hodges gets a fair bit of game time and keeps him keen .

There is no real reason hodges can't be on the bench as we've seen in past it does work , also what we've seen in past is that toovey can keep a forward on the bench for long periods and only get on late in a match ,with a fresher dummy half late in the games it could create more spark and in turn manly playing more of the game in the oppositions half , im not real concerned with hodges tackling he was very high on tackles made in nsw cup last year so he is not afraid to put his body on the line and with another season under his belt his defence on tackle completions will only get better . maybe it its up to toovey to play horses for courses , as in some games it wont be necessary and some it will in return hodges gets a fair bit of game time and keeps him keen .

I'm liking your input Fibro!!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4