Help me build this Manly team !!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Gotta find a place for Roy Bull in the front row.

Brissie ... just for future reference, It is tradional when mentioning Roy Bull .. that the word legendary is placed in front .. eg . The legendary Roy Bull ...

Roy was a chaperon for a u/23 Manly team I was part of on a trip to NZ in the 70;s ... never have the words a" true gentleman been used more accurately than when describing the legendary Roy Bull ...

OK @maxta ... here is another team for you to have a go at ... Manly locals ... only born and bred ...

1 Tom T
2 Gutherson
3 Will Hoppa
4 Russel Gartner
5 Steve Knight
6 Phil Blake
7 Geoff Toovey
8 Jason King
9 Max Krilich
10 Rex Mossop
11 Steve Menzies
12 Randall
13 Jake T

14 Gibbs
15 Watmough
Coach

PSS ... I am crtain I missed a few ... for coach I was thinking Ray Ritchie ... he only ever played for Manly but I am not sure if he was locally grown ...
Does Bon Fulton qualify ?? I realise was from down South coast like Stewart bros....but I personally have them all as juniors as first NRL game was at Manly...
Also what score between Manly jnr team and Manly International's game...be sn interesting game Woodsie...

Does Bon Fulton qualify ?? I realise was from down South coast like Stewart bros....but I personally have them all as juniors as first NRL game was at Manly...
Also what score between Manly jnr team and Manly International's game...be sn interesting game Woodsie...

Nah ... Fulton was a pommie via woolongong .... it did go alright though ...

OK @maxta ... here is another team for you to have a go at ... Manly locals ... only born and bred ...

1 Tom T
2 Gutherson
3 Will Hoppa
4 Russel Gartner
5 Steve Knight
6 Phil Blake
7 Geoff Toovey
8 Jason King
9 Max Krilich
10 Rex Mossop
11 Steve Menzies
12 Randall
13 Jake T

14 Gibbs
15 Watmough

Coach

PSS ... I am crtain I missed a few ... for coach I was thinking Ray Ritchie ... he only ever played for Manly but I am not sure if he was locally grown ...
John Harvey ,Daniel Gartner , Phil Daley , maybe Ian Martin ? Jack Elesgood . Alan Thompson as the starting 6

Nah ... Fulton was a pommie via woolongong .... it did go alright though ...
I thought that the case myself mate...but Fulton did play for Aussies...
I do love your no nonsense analysis though mate, remind me of an old footy coach I had and if not doing great at half time, I found it hard to look him in the eye!!
Was my favourite coach by the way , so take that as a compliment Woodsie

I thought that the case myself mate...but Fulton did play for Aussies...
I do love your no nonsense analysis though mate, remind me of an old footy coach I had and if not doing great at half time, I found it hard to look him in the eye!!
Was my favourite coach by the way , so take that as a compliment Woodsie

Who is our local coach ?

Interesting that you asked the question though ... I was considering Ray Ritchie for one of the wing spots or Coach ... he debuted for Manly ... but I know he was born the other side of the bridge .. don't know at what age he moved to Freshie or where he played his junior footy ..

Fulton was a Pommie

Stanton was a Bulldog

Hasler was a Penriff lad

Ron Wiley also played all his footy for manly but was from the lower North shore in Bears territory . I don't now if he ever played juniors at Manly ....

Who is our local coach ?

Interesting that you asked the question though ... I was considering Ray Ritchie for one of the wing spots or Coach ... he debuted for Manly ... but I know he was born the other side of the bridge .. don't know at what age he moved to Freshie or where he played his junior footy ..

Fulton was a Pommie

Stanton was a Bulldog

Hasler was a Penriff lad

Ron Wiley also played all his footy for manly but was from the lower North shore in Bears territory . I don't now if he ever played juniors at Manly ....
Wasn"t aware of Frank Stanton 's background , Interesting .. Recall when Des Hasler first trialed for Manly and immediately impressed , Manly officials were very surprised that the Panthers let him go .

1 Tom T
2 Gutherson
3 Will Hoppa
4 Russel Gartner
5 Steve Knight
6 Phil Blake
7 Geoff Toovey
8 Jason King
9 Max Krilich
10 Rex Mossop
11 Steve Menzies
12 Randall
13 Jake T

14 Gibbs
15 Watmough

Coach

Alan Thompson and Ian Martin.

Who is our local coach ?

Fulton was a Pommie

Stanton was a Bulldog

Hasler was a Penriff lad

This guy maybe?
Born in the Sydney suburb of in Glebe, Ken Arthurson became a rugby league footballer through the Freshwater Surf Club, playing in their 1945 D-Grade premiership win alongside another future Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles legend, and the club's first home-grown Australian international, Roy Bull.

Will Hopoate would be a contender - played for Tonga ??
Maybe not. He is dedicated to the Tongan side now, but has played Australian school boys plus origin for NSW. Born in Manly & grew up on the Northern Beaches.

Yes, but he also played for Australia which sort of doesn't fit the criteria for a Manly team of only international players.

True... But

shuddup thread police! (this is a joke)

and

I just wanted to remind everyone about Uate.

:)

Surely home grown coach was Mr Geoff Toovey? Belrose Eagles?
image.img

Last edited:
Maybe not. He is dedicated to the Tongan side now, but has played Australian school boys plus origin for NSW. Born in Manly & grew up on the Northern Beaches.
Fair call mate...I still recall his flick pass for a try vs NZ in that GF victory- classy young player and if not for the GOAT imo - Brett Stewart....would have been Manly fullback and not winger

Wasn"t aware of Frank Stanton 's background , Interesting .. Recall when Des Hasler first trialed for Manly and immediately impressed , Manly officials were very surprised that the Panthers let him go .
Frank Stanton played for Belrose Eagles as a 16 year old.Although he was apparently born at St Leonards so were a lot of people from the Manly Warringah area in the 40's and 50's.Royal North shore hospital was almost outside St Leonard's Station in those days and much smaller than now. As an example we lived at Seaforth but my sister was born at RNS (St Leonards). Try telling her she is not MW born and bred. If Frank was a bulldog? fair enough but he is good enough to be Born and Bred to me.

May have to find Dessie's book, but I think he was still living at Penrith when he got a primary school teaching job for 1984 at St Pius X College in Chatswood. A student (Scott Fulton?) tipped off Bozo & so Hasler got a run in a Manly trial game. Not sure Penrith had dropped interest in him. More likely the daily travel from Penrith to Chatswood for work would have been the problem.

Just had a look on this website & it shows Hasler as Penrith's first choice #7 for almost all of the second half of the 1983 season Custom Match List - Rugby League Project

Also on that website it shows a good trivia info. Hasler's last game at Brookie was for Wests as their captain in August 1997. Manly won 48-14. Manly's halves were Tooves & Cliffy. Scott Fulton was on the Manly bench.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6