Help me build this Manly team !!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Maybe we could start a team of ‘not so great’ Manly internationals.

I'll raise your Hasson with a Williame!
Here's some others who probably wouldn't be in the 'best' category
Couple of centres, Joe Ropati (New Zealand) and John Devereux (Wales and Great Britain)

And a forward Hugh Waddell (Great Britain England and Scotland)

Apparently Hugh passed away in November, condolences to his family.

Derek Moritz ...was a Canadian He was a goal kicking winger about 1971
Good bloke too, met him as a child at Warringah Mall, been a Manly supporter the rest of my life. Was getting squashed at a public event, got knocked to the ground and people started walking all over me, he got off the stage and picked me up and took me onto the stage to meet the rest of the team. Wonder if that would happen in modern times?

Last edited:
7. Gary Stephens played in the 1976 GF
9. John Gray - played hooker or prop
14. Manase Fainu
15. Tony Iro - wing or second row
16. Mark Broadhurst

This would be my 17

1. Ridge
2. Williams
3. Innes
4. Matai
5. Kevin Iro
6. Foran
7. Stephens
8. Ward
9. Gray
10. Fonua-Blake
11. Lowe
12. Norton
13 Reilly
14. Fainu
15. Tony Iro
16. Taupau
17. Broadhurst
Great side mate !!

Here's some others who probably wouldn't be in the 'best' category
Couple of centres, Joe Ropati (New Zealand) and John Devereux (Wales and Great Britain)

And a forward Hugh Waddell (Great Britain England and Scotland)

Apparently Hugh passed away in November, condolences to his family.
Andy Goodway [ English forward ] and James Leuluai [ N Z centre ] , , internationals and played for Manly in the 80 "s . Both came with big wraps but did not quite perform up to expectations .

That’s a pretty good team
Yes, a team that would easily match our best ever all Aussie team. It includes a couple of Manly's smartest ever players (IMO), Ridge & Reilly, and also some our toughest ever players across the park. I think there are ten premiership winners in the team (hopefully, three more in the near future in Fainu, AFB & Taupau). As many will remember, the Sea Eagles, with several Kiwis in the team, was at one time dubbed Maori-Warringah and was the most popular ARL team in NZ, pre Warriors.

Moritz was a more than handy player
A very good player. Remember him working at a servo in North Curl Curl. One of my friends used to (unfairly) call him 'Derelict Porkfritz'.

Tony Iro off the bench ? - had some great moments but recall some sloppy hands at times...

Tony Iro off the bench ? - had some great moments but recall some sloppy hands at times...
True, but he was an impact player - somewhat like Tony Williams. Any other second row suggestions?

Edit: add Galuvao, Horo or JWH (prop)

Last edited:
True, but he was an impact player - somewhat like Tony Williams. Any other second row suggestions?

Edit: add Galuvao, Horo or JWH (prop)
Agree 100%...T.Williams is exactly where I was at.....great pickup on JWH, maybe only played a few NRL games for Manly, but a worthy addition.....Galavao definitely a bench candidate, but Horo would be in the backup quota imo....

OK @maxta ... here is another team for you to have a go at ... Manly locals ... only born and bred ...

1 Tom T
2 Gutherson
3 Will Hoppa
4 Russel Gartner
5 Steve Knight
6 Phil Blake
7 Geoff Toovey
8 Jason King
9 Max Krilich
10 Rex Mossop
11 Steve Menzies
12 Randall
13 Jake T

14 Gibbs
15 Watmough

Coach

PSS ... I am crtain I missed a few ... for coach I was thinking Ray Ritchie ... he only ever played for Manly but I am not sure if he was locally grown ...

A very good player. Remember him working at a servo in North Curl Curl. One of my friends used to (unfairly) call him 'Derelict Porkfritz'.
The servo in Curly was owned by The Tilley family (and maybe Derek too) who lived near me in Wheeler heights. Were into motor racing. that's where Derek started his servo career and his love for fast cars. Fred Tilley had a mint ex Bathurst Phase 3 GTHO.
Derek was one of my favourites when I was kid playing for Cromer.

Many threads about great players to represent Manly over the years.
Looking to create the Ultimate Manly team made up of ONLY players to represent other countries than Australia

Happy with healthy debate so will throw out a few to start the team

1- Ridge
2-
3- Innes
4- Darryl Williams
5- K Iro
6-
7-
8- K . Ward - absolute favourite
9 -
10.- AFB
11- Kapow
12 -
13- Mal Reilly

res
14- John Gray
15-
16-
17-
That other bloke with the same surname as me represented Scotland at the world cup so could throw him on the wing. He went alright ;)

OK @maxta ... here is another team for you to have a go at ... Manly locals ... only born and bred ...

1 Tom T
2 Gutherson
3 Will Hoppa
4 Russel Gartner
5 Steve Knight
6 Phil Blake
7 Geoff Toovey
8 Jason King
9 Max Krilich
10 Rex Mossop
11 Steve Menzies
12 Randall
13 Jake T

14 Gibbs
15 Watmough

Coach

PSS ... I am crtain I missed a few ... for coach I was thinking Ray Ritchie ... he only ever played for Manly but I am not sure if he was locally grown ...
Alan Thompson wouldn't be bad on the bench. Or even at 5/8, save Phil until the opposition are panting a bit.

1 Tom T
2 Gutherson
3 Will Hoppa
4 Russel Gartner
5 Steve Knight
6 Phil Blake
7 Geoff Toovey
8 Jason King
9 Max Krilich
10 Rex Mossop
11 Steve Menzies
12 Randall
13 Jake T

14 Gibbs
15 Watmough

Coach

Gotta find a place for Roy Bull in the front row.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2