Heckenberg goooorrrrrrne

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
G

ADAM LUCIUS
09nov05

MANLY will enter the 2006 season under the salary cap after last night granting experienced prop Daniel Heckenberg a release to pursue an international career with Great Britain.

The 26-year-old front-rower signed a three-year deal with Super League club London Harlequins hours after being freed from the final year of his contract with the Sea Eagles. His departure makes room under the salary cap for Manly to chase another player.

But the Sea Eagles are unlikely to make any new signings over summer, preferring to keep some cash in reserve should in-demand centre Jamie Lyon hit the open market in June.

``That's not the reason we let Daniel go but we will have a bit of money left over as a result of his departure,'' Manly CEO Pat Wilson said.

``We were quite happy to keep Daniel but this opportunity came about and we were approached about a release. He was offered a three-year deal and we didn't want to stand in his way.''

Heckenberg said the offer from London ``came out of the blue'' just prior to him commencing pre-season training with the Sea Eagles.

He will leave for London later this month and hopes to make an impression on British selectors when the Super League season kicks off next year.

``My mother was born in Edinburgh so I've got a British passport which makes me eligible straight away,'' he said.

``It's just an added bonus in going there and another goal for me. I played for Scotland in the World Cup five years ago and would love to represent again.

``But the main thing about this contract is it's for three years and it gives me a bit of security.''

Heckenberg will be joined at the Harlequins by Manly teammate Chad Randall and fellow ex-Sea Eagles Solomon Haumono, Luke Dorn and Nick Bradley-Qalilawa.

W are really going to need King and Cleal to step up this year and take over from heckenberg.

I would have let King go who is on $200k plus, and retained Harris & Heckenberg, but hey, the club must rate King.

Could turn out to be a bad decision. IMO, front row is our true achilles heel rather than 5/8, centre etc. We saw that this year. The princess will have to really step up next year. If we lose Kite for any length of time, all the Orfords in the world won't get us moving forward.

We must have something in the wind, or its a massive punt on "maybe" getting Lyon. I'd rather it be an established prop.

Jamesie

We were discussing this the other day :)

I know we picked up the melbourne player but I would say the money is being held aside for a number of other players soon to come onto the market.

I wonder if the club has eyes on any of the Dragons players?

Big loss in my opinion - our other props are really going to have to stand up now. Hecks was our most consistent prop for the 05 season, Kite is really needed to stand up for next year. King - well ha, could see you in PL pal.

I have a feeling someone else will be joining the ranks!

Now with Hecks gone...

1. Stewart
2. Stephenson
3. Bell
4. Alberts
5. Hicks
6. Monghan
7. Orford
8. Kite
9. Ballin
10. Bryant
11. Menzies
12. Watmough
13. Kennedy

14. Dunley
15. King / Rose
16. Leuluai
17. Williamson

We are getting rid of all the ex - Parra players...LoL

I like THIS team more magic:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steven Bell
04. Ashley Alberts
05. Chris Hicks
06. Michael Witt
07. Matt Orford
08. Brent Kite
09. Michael Monaghan
10. Jason King / Mark Bryant
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Ben Kennedy

14. Shayne Dunley
15. Kylie Leuleuai
16. Luke Williamson
17. Kane Cleal / George Rose

Then - when Jamie comes 1/2 way through the year (June 30) - it will happen:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Ashley Alberts
03. Steven Bell
04. Jamie Lyon
05. Chris Hicks
06. Michael Witt
07. Matt Orford
08. Brent Kite
09. Michael Monaghan
10. Jason King / Mark Bryant
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Ben Kennedy

14. Shayne Dunley
15. Kylie Leuleuai
16. Luke Williamson
17. Kane Cleal / George Rose

I wouldn't complain at that side. Then we have Mailangi Styles, Phil Moorwood, Jim Curtis, Mark Bryant & George Rose in Premier League. That aint too shabby.

You'd have to note we'd have one of the best backlines in the NRL in the 2nd 1/2 of the year too.

[quote author=CC_Eagle]
Luke friggin Bailey better be lined up...

Sadly he's signed with the Goldcoast and his last year with the Dragons for 06.
[/quote]

I am aware of that. My exaggeration had some realism to it, as far as I'm concerned there better be someone decent lined up as his replacement. :(( :|

Well mate - I'd pick him over King to be honest. But Des Hasler sticks with the guy like super glue. Blocker rates him too.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4