Hawks winged too

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Interesting to note the reigning AFL premiers are doing it tough too.

Kennett apologises for Hawks loss
John Salvado
June 15, 2009 - 7:19PM

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett has apologised to the AFL club's members for the reigning premiers' last two losses, which he put down to shortcomings in competitiveness and skill.

The Hawks have slipped to a 6-6 win-loss record after capitulating in the second half of Sunday's 42-point loss to Brisbane in Launceston.

They also lost their round-10 match to Adelaide by 27 points and probably now need to win eight of their remaining 10 games to claim a top-four finish and the resultant double chance in the finals.

They could even miss the finals altogether if they don't win at least six.

In an open letter posted on Monday on the club's website, Kennett said the Hawks' skills and tenacity against the Lions were not good enough.

"Our passes, be they kicks or handballs, were so often badly directed," said Kennett.

"But worse we have lost what I think was our great strength last year and the reason we won on the last Saturday of September, our team work.

"Yes, we have had legitimate excuses for part of our performance this year, injuries.

"However, that excuse is no longer a defence for the sort of game we put in against Adelaide two weeks ago and Brisbane yesterday.

"Both were a combination of our failure to apply the appropriate skills and effort to be competitive.

"We are losing games we should not be losing."

Kennett said the only way the Hawks could force their way back into the top four was with a major change in approach starting in their next match away to West Coast after the conclusion of the split round.

"Can we rise up to the challenge? I think we can," said Kennett.

"But we will find out in two weeks when we travel to WA to take on West Coast.

"Between now and then, there has to be a lot of soul searching by our coaches and players, and a recommitment to the standard of play we know we are capable of producing."

Kennett said he knew some supporters would not like his comments - or the decision to make it public.

"If some do not like the contents of this message, I simply say eliminate the reasons that cause it to be written," he said.

"No more excuses, we must lift our game or pay the price.

"When so much at the club is going so well, the one reason we exist is to play competitive football to give ourselves the opportunity of competing as we did last year, on the last day in September.

"Today we are a long way from that standard of play."

This hasn't passed me by either.... They had a shocking start to the year as well (not in the same way we did, but they lost their opening couple of rounds...)

Matabele link said:
\"Both were a combination of our failure to apply the appropriate skills and effort to be competitive.

\"We are losing games we should not be losing.\"

\"No more excuses, we must lift our game or pay the price.
  Sounds a lot like Manly this year.

Hangovers obviously last as long in Melbourne as they do up here.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4