HAPPY BIRTHDAY SILVERTAILS

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Mark from Brisbane said:
I feel like an outsider, only joined in 2008.

and I remember when you first joined and posted, you were not happy with the reception that you received. Some of the regulars did a bit of stirring and 'smited' you.

You settled down a bit after a couple of us told you not to take things to heart as lots of things were said in jest around here and the smiting thing was just a bit of fun. :)

RiverEagle said:
What was ''smiting'' (in brief) ?

Just curious.

Congratz again.

It was just the KARMA system of the SMF forum software that we used at the time instead of mybb.

Basically you could "Applaud" or "Smite" someones post, more or less like the LIKE system that we have now. But it had an "Unlike" people got rather upset about the KARMA and took it all to heart so instead of a positive and negative system we replaced it with just the positive, i.e. LIKE

On a personal note I quite liked the KARMA system overall, it was fun, but it did allow groups of users to target other users.

This forum has a KARMA system built in, I may consider re-enabling it

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I remember whenever someone complained about being smited they would quickly cop a 100 more smites!

haha exactly, all part of the fun

LOL. Thanks @Dan and SER8.

I do think sometimes it would be simpler, for ppl to just have a ''dislike'' option.

Probably a lot less entertaining though!

Jethro said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

and I remember when you first joined and posted, you were not happy with the reception that you received. Some of the regulars did a bit of stirring and 'smited' you.

You settled down a bit after a couple of us told you not to take things to heart as lots of things were said in jest around here and the smiting thing was just a bit of fun. :)

haha. Great read Jethro. Funny to see two Silvertails legends get off to such an auspicious start.
BTW Mark, would love a ticket at that price mate. Any left? :p

Any chance of getting a look at the original posters who joined that first day and who are still around

The Wheel said:
Any chance of getting a look at the original posters who joined that first day and who are still around

Unfortunately we lost some of that data in our migrations and a certain time in our history when someone went on a delete spree.

You may be able to look at who has their join date set for then, but I think this was lost in migration for most

Congratulations Dan. Have only been on here a short time, but love reading everyone's posts. Here's to the next ten years.

Jethro said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

LOL. Sorry about that. Glad I didn't scare you off Mark, you are a great contributor here. I try not to be a hero these days, or anywhere near as sarcastic.

Dan said:
The Wheel said:

Unfortunately we lost some of that data in our migrations and a certain time in our history when someone went on a delete spree.

You may be able to look at who has their join date set for then, but I think this was lost in migration for most

We could do a Silvertails "Where are they now ?"

Thank goodness Penrith smashed us that night in 2004 or we might not be here celebrating 10 years! :p

It's a great thing you have done Dan - bloody legend.

Bradza said:
Thank goodness Penrith smashed us that night in 2004 or we might not be here celebrating 10 years! :p

Tell us more. Did this throw a hand grenade into the MWSE forum?

My recollection is as follows and I'm sure there are others who can correct me or expand on this;

Aaron Markie's One Eyed Eagle site was running for a number of years during the dark times of the Nthn Eagles and Manly's emergence from that debacle. Over time, a wide variety of posters frequented the discussion forum. Many debates were raged between posters particularly relating to the administration of the club and the abilities of the playing roster. Forthright comments and evaluation and humour was often met with the ‘not a true supporter’ argument.
This set the scene for Dan and some others to break away and create the Alternate Eagles forum in July 2004. Shortly after, one of our most embarrassing results, a 72-12 shellacking by Penrith on 7th August 2004, resulted in a massive round of blood-letting. Many fans jumped ship and it gave impetus to the new AE site and forum. It has never looked back since then and changed name to Silvertails along the way.

The OEE forum merged into the official MWSE forum a few years later and that forum was eventually shut down by zorba in 2010.

Bradza said:

The loss to Penrith that year has been brought up and addressed previously in this thread to say that it couldn't have been the loss to Penrith that initiated the birth of Alternate Eagles (Silvertails).

The 72 - 12 flogging that Penrith gave us was on 7/8/2004. Alternate Eagles was already up and running for 23 days prior to that according to the joining date (15/7/04) of the original members in the member's list.

Prior to 15/7/2004, we had a loss 56 - 12 against the Knights on 27/6/2004, another loss against the Dogs 50 - 32 on 4/7/2004 and a win against the Tigers 26 - 18 on 11/7/2004 so going by those results, it would have to have been either the Knights or the Dogs who we would have to thank.

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/teams/manly/manly_by.html#2004

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10