Happy Australia Day

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually thought twice about replying, 'yes.....happy Australia Day'. Captain Obvious - it appears that Australia is divided on this. I won't bring it all up here, but I am alarmed when I hear people say that the term 'Australia' itself is offensive, that all the States / Commonwealth / Federal Government need to be abolished, and a 'new order' needs to be established.

Australia Day is fast becoming a divisive rallying point for race-based anarchists of all kinds. It's a shame - I like the idea of a day that celebrates our country. Though there seems to be a growing idea that this country belongs to some and not others. And that idea in general usually sparks conflicts.

I'm coming around to the 'change the date idea'. Here's how and why.

Make it the 25th of January. One day before it is now. One month exactly after Christmas Day. Easy to remember.

Why this may appeal to all the Indigenous folk: it's one day before the landing at Sydney Cove - you can celebrate the last day when no white people lived here, if that's what makes you happy.

Why this may appeal to the rest: it would represent the final day of a long, difficult voyage - if the arrival is actually significant to you. Though I'll bet most don't care about that. Practically speaking, it still provides that late January public holiday which is both useful and fun. And more importantly, we still celebrate Australia - isn't that a worthwhile thing to do?

My motivation for the change: to get us all to say, 'are we happy now? Anything else to whinge about? No? Then let's just get on with living in the best country on earth and look for ways to unite us, and stop looking for ways to divide us.' And stop the politicization (both left and right) of Australia Day.

Seen a couple of suggested alternative dates . May the 8 tth , Proclamation Day apparently or whatever else that represents . January the 1 st of all days and when the commonwealth or combined states became official . Bit of discussion on this topic a couple of years ago or so , Understand some of the sentiment for a date change and can certainly accept and acknowledge some past wrongs and injustices but not too impressed with some of the overhyped and blurring of the reality to discredit the current setting . No problem with changing the date in a suitable manner , providing the stigma and unfortunately part grandstanding on the matter can be removed or regarded in a better context . Just like many other countries , surely not that difficult to have and accept just one day of the year for some harmonious and feel good recognition of ones country, past , present and future to take into consideration . Nothing can change the past , make every effort to try and right past wrongs but not at the expense of continually associating tt with some guilt complex . Probably best to give the Voice a crack in some workable form , have had Marbo and Wik for ages now . if any ethnic group still had a real serious issue from past wrongs , it should be the American Indians , read somewhere where their overall population was decimated from something like 12 - 15 million down to well under one mill with European settlement .

Happy Australia day Feathered friends

Lets us all unite and proudly strive to make our home Australia a happy and prosperous home

Photo of Australia Flag | Free australian stock images

Seen a couple of suggested alternative dates . May the 8 tth , Proclamation Day apparently or whatever else that represents . January the 1 st of all days and when the commonwealth or combined states became official . Bit of discussion on this topic a couple of years ago or so , Understand some of the sentiment for a date change and can certainly accept and acknowledge some past wrongs and injustices but not too impressed with some of the overhyped and blurring of the reality to discredit the current setting . No problem with changing the date in a suitable manner , providing the stigma and unfortunately part grandstanding on the matter can be removed or regarded in a better context . Just like many other countries , surely not that difficult to have and accept just one day of the year for some harmonious and feel good recognition of ones country, past , present and future to take into consideration . Nothing can change the past , make every effort to try and right past wrongs but not at the expense of continually associating tt with some guilt complex . Probably best to give the Voice a crack in some workable form , have had Marbo and Wik for ages now . if any ethnic group still had a real serious issue from past wrongs , it should be the American Indians , read somewhere where their overall population was decimated from something like 12 - 15 million down to well under one mill with European settlement .
Changing the date to celebrate our great nation will not change anything

Unless we all change our attitude to Gratitude for our Great Nation

Honestly , changing the date will be meaningless.

The haters will hate regardless , the divisive will be trying to divide , the radicals will still be protesting.

It’s sad really , we live in the best country in the world and people should be proud to celebrate a day that’s a day for all Aussies , regardless of where you come from or what colour your skin is.

The sins of the past weren’t done by those living now.

Do we blame every German for what happened to the Jews?? Or every Japanese for the atrocities done to our Diggers ??

Of course we don’t.

It’s time to move on , and just celebrate being an Aussie.

Not really. At the moment it hurts our first Australian because that's the day us lot moved in and everything changed for them. It's THAT date that's celebrated. It was only 1946 that is was declared and until relatively recently the public holiday was a movable feast.
I think of it kinda like the government mandated that we all had to have someone move into our spare room (actually it would be the master bedroom) and from that day we were treated as second class citizens. Then the government turned around and declared that date would always be one of celebration.
I'm not fussed what date it becomes - to me it should always have been January 1 but public holidays darling! - but if people seem to be genuinely hurt by it, then we should just move the bloody thing.

And, of course, one day it will be moved. Momentum always gathers to the inevitable in such matters.

Not really. At the moment it hurts our first Australian because that's the day us lot moved in and everything changed for them. It's THAT date that's celebrated. It was only 1946 that is was declared and until relatively recently the public holiday was a movable feast.
I think of it kinda like the government mandated that we all had to have someone move into our spare room (actually it would be the master bedroom) and from that day we were treated as second class citizens. Then the government turned around and declared that date would always be one of celebration.
I'm not fussed what date it becomes - to me it should always have been January 1 but public holidays darling! - but if people seem to be genuinely hurt by it, then we should just move the bloody thing.

And, of course, one day it will be moved. Momentum always gathers to the inevitable in such matters.
I actually don’t really get the hate for the date , Captain Cook first arrived in April , and before that the Dutch were in WA but never declared it “ their land “.

I thought the day was more about the date that Australians became Australians and not British citizens , am I wrong ??

I actually don’t really get the hate for the date , Captain Cook first arrived in April , and before that the Dutch were in WA but never declared it “ their land “.

I thought the day was more about the date that Australians became Australians and not British citizens , am I wrong ??
A little bit. All settlers were British citizens. There wasn't even an 'Australia' until the colonies federated on January 1, 1901. And it actually wasn't until 1949 that anyone officially had Australian nationality. Up until that point, all were British subjects on a British passport.

Janszoon and Cook didn't settle, though Cook and Banks were responsible for declaring terra nullius. Phillip deliberately set up a colony under the direction of the British government. And that colony began on January 26, 1788 when Phillip arrived with eleven ships and raised the British flag at Sydney Cove, claiming the land as a British colony.

Manly-Warringah obviously has in the second 'Warringah' name indigenous origins. But so too does 'Manly.

'Manly' got its name as it was where Willemering speared Governor Arthur Phillip in 1790. "their confidence and manly behaviour made me give the name of Manly Cove to this place" Manly, New South Wales - Wikipedia

The country 'Australia' didn't start until 1901 federation, but the newspapers from at least the 1820s are referring to the continent and all of the colonies collectively as 'Australia'. Trove - Digitised newspapers and more

Last edited:

The haters will hate regardless , the divisive will be trying to divide , the radicals will still be protesting.

It’s sad really , we live in the best country in the world and people should be proud to celebrate a day that’s a day for all Aussies , regardless of where you come from or what colour your skin is.

The sins of the past weren’t done by those living now.

Do we blame every German for what happened to the Jews?? Or every Japanese for the atrocities done to our Diggers ??

Of course we don’t.

It’s time to move on , and just celebrate being an Aussie.
Ahh once again the wisest of words from a true gentleman. Of course you realise @Mark from Brisbane that us white, male over 50's are responsible for all the world's problems don't you. I just don't get it and never will , why we keep wanting to make people alive today apologise for the sins of Governments of centuries past. I suppose it's the woke, virtue signalling world we live in now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4