Grand Final Entertainment (AKA: 'The SSM Debate Thread')

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So if by a small chance the "No" campaign won do you think in 5yrs they will ask for our "opinion" again?

The decision has already been made regardless of the outcome, by the numbers in parliament.
I don't know.

For me the ssm thing is like women's suffrage, the 67 aboriginal referendum and no fault divorce laws in the 70s.

It is a human rights issue. No one will be able to make a church to perform a gay marriage, but if gay people want to marry they get a legal secular union.

The reaction to the song and the effect it is going to have has been overdramatised. If the song bothers you then you really need to be looking at addressing your insecurities

The reaction to the song and the effect it is going to have has been overdramatised. If the song bothers you then you really need to be looking at addressing your insecurities
Insecurities about what?

Political statements/songs at sporting events in general are just wrong.

To top it off Macklemore has been reported in the media to be donating money to the cause which is inflaming the situation, politicizing and showing a lack of maturity.

If a "No" entertainer openly did the same thing would they still be allowed to perform?

vote NO for the sake of our children and our childrens children, honor and self respect. I doubt our vote means anything its one big illusion. what's this world coming to.

His back up act are the singers he bounces around like bronski beat and does nothing. Piss off idiot.

That pre game performance was absolutely amazing. This bloke is phenomenal performing live.

I also love that his performance has twisted the panties of homophobes. Outstanding.

Seriously , is entertainment really needed??

Isn’t this just to match the AFL?

An absolute and utter waste of money, think about what his fee could do to Junior Rugby League, my Grandsons in Moree play and they get ZILCH from the NRL.
I hate my game being hijacked & used as someone's political billboard anytime. It's bad enough when attention seeking politicians go to games that ordinarily they wouldn't be seen dead at. Let Greenberg run for government if he wants to change the world. Todays effort had nothing to do with yes or no, it was just a virtuous cry of 'look at us' by an administration who sees itself as morally superior to a largely ignored slice of rugby league followers. I'm for a fair go for all people, but the game has numerous & more pressing issues to address regarding declining attendances, than to join the social engineering brigade. Sadly, Greenberg appears to be just another seat warmer until a real rugby league administrator comes along.

NRL Has Perfect Answer To Alan Jones' Grumpy Old Man Macklemore Rant - HuffPost Australia
https://apple.news/Aq6FqJIXhTzq7YMWqhCT7UA

Have a read - the NRL asked fans who they wanted and then responded...

As an aside I would suggest that many of the people who have an issue with the choice are not the target market for a game trying to expand their roots outside of its traditional base
The operative term being 'traditional base'. The goal is to maintain your base & attract additional market segments. No future in ditching your traditional supporters as they are the ones you rely upon. Given the progressive decline in attendance, it would suggest they are not doing a very good job of it. Having said all that, I agree it is an almost impossible task to secure a 'one size fits all' major act.

lalalala.gif

BULL****!! oh wait I'm 66
NRL can't win.

Someone 20 would be happy with Macklemore
Someone 30 would be happy with Eminem
Someone 45 would be happy with Bruce Springsteen
Someone 60 would be happy with Barry White

You will never make everyone happy, if the music is not from your generation then you will think what is this crap.

It's a lot better than what we use to have, the highlight of the 95 grand final was the Optus TV display went wrong.
Barry White! He has been dead for over 14 years! If they can get him as the headline act at next years grandfinal, I guarantee that will be a performance that all age groups will appreciate!

The operative term being 'traditional base'. The goal is to maintain your base & attract additional market segments. No future in ditching your traditional supporters as they are the ones you rely upon. Given the progressive decline in attendance, it would suggest they are not doing a very good job of it. Having said all that, I agree it is an almost impossible task to secure a 'one size fits all' major act.
Attract people to the game itself(year round by improving the quality) not by improving a once a year entertainment package.

The highlight has to be good old tony asking for that Aussie band savage garden to play...

Well it was in the SMH, so you are probably right Rex. And just like the left, they were actually pitching it as good news - forcing ministers of religion to marry SSM couples in a church against their beliefs. What a wonderful place the future is going to be.
If it makes you upset then we must be on the right track

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4