Graeme Langlands charged with historical sex crimes.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
14% - that is roughly the number of accusations of child sex offences that get prosecuted, shows there is a tough road to travel to get that far. At no stage have I damned the accused as guilty, but it is worth asking does that then suppose the other 86% are innocent? We would largely agree it is highly doubtful, but it does show that the balance is skewed towards the accused.

Ask yourselves would this level of empathy for the accused by applied if a largely loathed public figure (maybe a politician for instance) was accused and named
Yes I do respect the innocent until proven guilty line, even if I don't always believe it's true.
Even old Weinstein has to have his day, or years in court, horrible looking thing that he is.
Nonetheless I respect your opinion and I know that you are speaking on the subject with strong reasons and take on board those statistics you posted.
It's certainly a subject that is a difficult one.

I agree with @voicefromthehill
It is unfortunate obviously that Langlands is apparently in no condition to defend himself, but the reality is that persons without mental capacity get charged regularly with criminal offences.
In the case of serious crimes in NSW there might be a special hearing of the evidence and a court can make a determination of guilt. Obviously if found guilty the condition of the offender is relevant.
Point is, the lack of mental capacity of the accused is not that unusual.

And, as already pointed out by many, a long delayed complaint of sexual abuse is not at all unusual.

Really the only thing unusual here is that the accused is a league legend.

All we can hope for is the courts get it right
Often, yes. Mostly, probably. Always? Nup!

This thread needs to be moved to general...nothing in it rugby league related.
Although it is the off-season..
Plus Langlands is a rugby league Immortal!
That's ok, desperadoes still venture in these (general) waters.

FMD this isnt about the alledged kiddie fiddler, this is about the victim coming to terms with what happened and not letting it continue to F€£K wih their lives.
Obviously with all the illness and age he wont get to court let alone be proven guilty or sentenced. But the victim may be able to live the rest of their lives not feeling guilty for what may have happened.

FMD this isnt about the alledged kiddie fiddler, this is about the victim coming to terms with what happened and not letting it continue to F€£K wih their lives.
Obviously with all the illness and age he wont get to court let alone be proven guilty or sentenced. But the victim may be able to live the rest of their lives not feeling guilty for what may have happened.

100% agree. How do you reckon you’d feel, as a victim, to have your abuser lauded publicly as a champion, legend, immortal etc...maybe this is the last chance to get this out into the open - otherwise this victim is going to be living with that ‘immortal’ public image being rubbed in her face periodically for the rest of her life.

Who knows what prompted it - maybe all the abuse allegations coming out in Hollywood etc recently have been the impetus for this victim to come forward. And possibly there are others who may also be prompted to come forward, or perhaps there are witnesses or some other evidence that will come to light in due course. Unlikely that charges would’ve been laid if it were purely a he said/she said without anything to back it up.

100% agree. How do you reckon you’d feel, as a victim, to have your abuser lauded publicly as a champion, legend, immortal etc...maybe this is the last chance to get this out into the open - otherwise this victim is going to be living with that ‘immortal’ public image being rubbed in her face periodically for the rest of her life.

Who knows what prompted it - maybe all the abuse allegations coming out in Hollywood etc recently have been the impetus for this victim to come forward. And possibly there are others who may also be prompted to come forward, or perhaps there are witnesses or some other evidence that will come to light in due course. Unlikely that charges would’ve been laid if it were purely a he said/she said without anything to back it up.

And what if Langlands is in fact the victim in these allegations because they are false ? Again in these posts, there is the inference there that Langlands is guilty, and again, I will point back to the Brett Stewart case where charges were laid against him incorrectly

And what if Langlands is in fact the victim in these allegations because they are false ? Again in these posts, there is the inference there that Langlands is guilty, and again, I will point back to the Brett Stewart case where charges were laid against him incorrectly
Yes, the Brett Stewart case certainly opened my eyes to how easily it could be for an innocent person to be accused and charged for those sorts of allegations and it has made me now more of a fence sitter in regards to the presumption of innocence or guilt of the person accused.

As far as I am concerned, let the courts decide Langlands' guilt or innocence and if he is indeed found guilty of the crime, then hook in and abuse etc. but until such time, as the saying goes 'innocent until proven guilty'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4