Graeme Langlands charged with historical sex crimes.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/rugby-lea...th-historical-sex-crimes-20171123-gzrmts.html

Sad to hear. Why wait so long to bring this up, especially when he's got dementia? No winners here.
Perhaps the 'waiting' is due to the trauma :(
The seeking of justice can not be seen as a victim 'winning', as they are living daily with the effect of the alleged crime @:cool:

Men who attack those that they can, never give their victims a second thought. :swear:

Shine the light and let's live in a better society :nod:

#Sad

Without knowing all the facts, all i can say is it's never too late to bring up crimes such as sexual assault.
Sorry but I disagree. This alleged incident occurred 35 years ago! Why has it taken this long and how can anyone be able to prove their innocence, especially one in a nursing home with dementia.
I think this is a disgrace. Not because it's a well-known person but because if an incident happened then it should have been investigated three decades ago. All this now does is ruin a person's reputation.

Sorry but I disagree. This alleged incident occurred 35 years ago! Why has it taken this long and how can anyone be able to prove their innocence, especially one in a nursing home with dementia.
I think this is a disgrace. Not because it's a well-known person but because if an incident happened then it should have been investigated three decades ago. All this now does is ruin a person's reputation.

I wont claim to be an expert in such things, however, my understanding is that when incidents like this occur it can be incredibly traumatic and difficult for 'children' to bring up. Life experience or I guess even just a moment in time can change and person and say, you know what; I wasnt brave (or old enough) then but I am now and I wont let this person get away with what they did to me.

I understand this is difficult that due to his condition he may be unable to defend himself against such allegations and that part is unfortunate for him.

I can say for sure if it was my daughter/son and they brought it up I wouldnt be saying ah well, should have told me 30 years ago buddy.

All this now does is ruin a person's reputation.
If he is innocent.

But thats where the police/prosecutors make a judgement on whether the evidence is strong enough to warrant charges being laid. Clearly they must think something happened. Regardless of how long ago it was, all crimes should be dealt with

One can only hope and expect that the relevant law enforcement officers definitely manage due diligence and through investigations and have fairly conclusive evidence before going public with such cases and regardless of the public profile of any accused individual

Have you not been following all the royal commissions and special inquiries about institutional abuse? It is not at all uncommon for charges to be laid for historical offences and while that can present difficulties for prosecution and defence it doesn't mean they shouldn't be prosecuted.

Without knowing all the facts, all i can say is it's never too late to bring up crimes such as sexual assault.

Very true.

I know a couple of cases where its been cleared my the courts, and the mud sticks to both parties.

Pity this

Yep its a bad situation. I know of a person serving 4 years, who is almost 80 years old, for something that was proven in a court of law to have happened 45 years ago.

Everyone was stunned at the allegation. Most astounded at the conviction. Only two people know what really happened.

All we can hope for is the courts get it right, and better still this type of thing is stamped out of society (my wishful thinking) completely.

Perhaps the 'waiting' is due to the trauma :(
The seeking of justice can not be seen as a victim 'winning', as they are living daily with the effect of the alleged crime @:cool:

Men who attack those that they can, never give their victims a second thought. :swear:

Shine the light and let's live in a better society :nod:

#Sad
Agreed, but let's not forget it's not always men.

One can only hope and expect that the relevant law enforcement officers definitely manage due diligence and through investigations and have fairly conclusive evidence before going public with such cases and regardless of the public profile of any accused individual
Thanks to social media and basically all news outlets being head line selling vultures, theres no chance of anything remaining unpublished these days.

I know a couple of cases where its been cleared by the courts, and the mud sticks to both parties.

Pity this
The Brett Stewart case is a good example of a similar situation.
He was accused, charged and proven innocent by the courts but he still has mud stuck to him with some still not accepting the court's ruling.

This person is now an adult who's name should be splashed around as his is.
If this was the case it would at least even the 'mud sticks' up a bit.
I can understand if this person was a minor but hasn't been now for 3 decades.
How long has he had dementia??

Spoken from a perspective of ignorance I am afraid. The perpetrator of such acts against children/adolescents has power - an ounce of empathy would have you understand the issues this presents to the victim if they have the strength to confront.

I personally know of victims of a contemptible human that did not deal with the rapes for 3+ decades, the perpetrator was guilty, was found as such and now rots inside jail. Does the time passed minimise the seriousness of the assaults perpetrated? Or do we put a statute of limitations on reporting child abusers? Let them continue on their merry way? Attitudes like that are symptomatic of issues we have in our culture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7