Gordon Chan Kum Tong

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Apparently Gordon has been unwell recently. Hope he is ok, but don't think he would have been training with 1st grade for a few weeks. He was named for Jersey Flegg today but doesn't look like he is playing.

Last edited:
Apparently Gordon has been unwell recently. Hope he is ok, but don't think he would have been training with 1st grade for a few weeks. He was named for Jersey Flegg today but doesn't look like he is playing.
how did Jersey Flegg and Blacktown etc go today anyone know ?

I like him - almost 20yo and has skill sets we don't offer atm....as Snake mentioned and a fair call, defensively in the middle is a big assignment, but it's a risk that has rewards imo....the current setup works against 10 teams, but not the true contenders

Gordon isn't selected for either NSW Cup or Flegg this week. Wonder if he is injured?

Problem being, you might get away with throwing a rookie in against 10 teams, but probably not against those true contenders. Players take time to mature, sometimes just need to be patient.
Would the young rookie who plays the 10 games against opposition he can get away with, then have more experience from this to maybe make more a more positive impact against the true contenders, than the more experienced players in their relative positions who have no more upside and already shown in these tough games they fall short

Gordon is not up to defending in the middle against any side for very long yet...if he was to get a run, it would be a 10-15 cameo at the back end of games.

Besides that, Lawton will be the guy that steps in if Croker goes down.

Gordon is not a prodigy in waiting. His elevation is a remarkable achievement as he was not tipped to get this far a couple of years ago. Well done to him, but he is not going to change the fortunes of our side in 2022.

Would the young rookie who plays the 10 games against opposition he can get away with, then have more experience from this to maybe make more a more positive impact against the true contenders, than the more experienced players in their relative positions who have no more upside and already shown in these tough games they fall short
Maybe? Is it possible some rookies who have scarcely played any games against grown men, let alone NRL, could come in and make 50 tackles, repeatedly smashing the likes of JFH, JWH and NAS, plus provide a clever point of attack from dummy half? Possible, although I haven't met one lately. I suppose the young Brailey's did OK when they first came in.

But who are you referring to as the more experienced players who have no more upside? Croker? If you mean Croker I disagree. Is there some reason you think he can't continue to improve?

Maybe? Is it possible some rookies who have scarcely played any games against grown men, let alone NRL, could come in and make 50 tackles, repeatedly smashing the likes of JFH, JWH and NAS, plus provide a clever point of attack from dummy half? Possible, although I haven't met one lately. I suppose the young Brailey's did OK when they first came in.

But who are you referring to as the more experienced players who have no more upside? Croker? If you mean Croker I disagree. Is there some reason you think he can't continue to improve?
I think it’d be different if Gordy was Harry Grant level talent but he is just a kid with a great work ethic and attitude...admirable, yes, but as you correctly point out, it’s rare for young 9s to come into FG and defend in the most demanding position in the game.

Even Fainu struggled in defence at times when he came into FG. Croker might be limited in his attacking wares but geez, he defends well and I suspect that’s why Hasler keeps picking him.

I think it’d be different if Gordy was Harry Grant level talent but he is just a kid with a great work ethic and attitude...admirable, yes, but as you correctly point out, it’s rare for young 9s to come into FG and defend in the most demanding position in the game.

Even Fainu struggled in defence at times when he came into FG. Croker might be limited in his attacking wares but geez, he defends well and I suspect that’s why Hasler keeps picking him.
Yeah I agree.
And even Harry Grant didn't play until he was 22! (Admittedly he was stuck behind Cam and Brandon Smith so probably may have made it a bit sooner at another club.)

Gordon is not up to defending in the middle against any side for very long yet...if he was to get a run, it would be a 10-15 cameo at the back end of games.

Besides that, Lawton will be the guy that steps in if Croker goes down.

Gordon is not a prodigy in waiting. His elevation is a remarkable achievement as he was not tipped to get this far a couple of years ago. Well done to him, but he is not going to change the fortunes of our side in 2022.
Snake whatever happened to Jack Birt?

Yes and yes.
Yes - The kid who played a trial against the Tigers NRL side - yes grown men....only a trial and only Tigers, but I seen enough in a short time to clearly evaluate far better service than seen from dummy half in quite a while.
Yes - I am referring to Croker - as 1 who doesn't attack what he brings, as he gives 100% which is hard to knock...his service is slow and he is not a heads up 9 who can't play what's in front of him, which I can't see improving any time soon.
In the modern game the importance of a 9 who can run at the right time and bring his forwards over the advantage line is everything that helps win momentum through that middle.
As for Croker - again not knocking him, just don't think he is the answer and do think he is contributing to the middles and particularly against better teams to compete, we need more.
Also not saying Tong is 100% ready, just feel has more upside by a way

Yes and yes.
Yes - The kid who played a trial against the Tigers NRL side - yes grown men....only a trial and only Tigers, but I seen enough in a short time to clearly evaluate far better service than seen from dummy half in quite a while.
Yes - I am referring to Croker - as 1 who doesn't attack what he brings, as he gives 100% which is hard to knock...his service is slow and he is not a heads up 9 who can't play what's in front of him, which I can't see improving any time soon.
In the modern game the importance of a 9 who can run at the right time and bring his forwards over the advantage line is everything that helps win momentum through that middle.
As for Croker - again not knocking him, just don't think he is the answer and do think he is contributing to the middles and particularly against better teams to compete, we need more.
Also not saying Tong is 100% ready, just feel has more upside by a way
I agree with Croker’s shortcomings and certainly think his lack of natural instincts for the position are a problem, but when you factor in defence, he is the lesser of two evils, which is probably why he keeps getting picked.

It’s no good having Gordon’s eyes up footy and crisp service in the middle defence if it’s open season for the opposition. We’re having a hard enough time controlling the opposition as is, and Croker is a great defender in the middle. A young, unseasoned rookie is only going to exacerbate things further.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6