Going forward - what investment is needed?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle66

Bencher
Premium Member
There are threads around referring to next year, recruitment, planning etc. However, working with a salary cap and more so working with Manly's cap, we aren't focusing on the investments required to get there.
Investment is a key word. As supporters we expect the players to invest in all areas. Playing, training, marketing and role models.
The Club but moreso the Coach invest in the planning of the squad not just now, not just next season but for 5 years ahead. Looking back, Schuster was earmarked for NRL. The Club brought Foran in so Schuster had a couple of seasons to develop. Yes, many people are not convinced however, how could this been foreseen last year or even the previous year? Just like who foresaw your super funds copping a 6 month smashing. Most of us said, we are investing in our future, it's not for now but boy oh boy, I am certain many whinged and complained but rode it out.
We all complain about our juniors and their retention. The Club does invest in that area, maybe not enough in some eyes but since Hasler 1.0, the Investment was in the individual not the team. You can go back to Turbo coming through. The focus was on him, right or wrong, there were players in the juniors that were never earmarked for NRL. So team results at times are poor.
Can there be a greater Investment? Is it about money only?
It has been said previously, that the Coach has signed a player in a key position for 5 years, let's say he is a half back. The planning going forward is to bring on a halfback in 6 years time. Investing in the juniors all the way down to SGBall to groom (can I use that word?) a #7 or in 5 years time buy another or resign your halfback. Tough balancing act for forward planning but it reflects that investment has to be made in the juniors because you can't always buy your way out. Look what happened when Foran 1.0 then Lyon retired, we bounced through a few #6's. Now we have, fingers crossed, got Schuster followed by Laitu Fainu. We may have for #7 coming through, Humphreys and maybe Bunting.
Investment, sometimes hard to notice. And no, I am not Hasler or Penn.

I had a good chat to Tony and he is across and aware of most of what you’ve stated here - he will get things into shape give him time

Basically, we've fallen from being one of the financially elite clubs to the middle/lower income bracket. I think the loss of the Leagues Club (for a quick profit) was somewhat short-sited. It could have been redeveloped and it would have provided the club with a stronger financial base; which would have allowed us to be more competitive.
Let's be honest, there may be a salary cap but we all know those wealthier clubs seem to find a way to "make things happen" cough, cough.
Unless we can find a way to restore the club to its former glory I'm afraid we are going to remain a mid-table team for many years to come.

I don’t think the sale of the LC alone was the start of the problem.

Outside factors like taxing poker machine profits in licensed clubs, and introducing pokies into pubs (around the same time), had a huge impact on the financial health of the Leagues’ Club.

There are other factors, but the reasons above will suffice for now.

The problem to some extent has been the band aid mentality. The quick fix and then being too afraid to blood younger talent and sticking with players that are leaving the club. Which IMO undermines the whole process of good recruitment of kids and their development.

The signing of an aging Kieren Foran for 2 years when we had a gun junior in Schuster and another very good junior in Cade Cust defines everything that is wrong with Manly.

It would seem nothing has been done in really developing these two players to play consistently in first grade.

Two years later, where are we? Better or worse off ?

Des and Manly are guilty of looking at short term gain and not investing in our future, which are our juniors.

Last edited:
1. New coach. Des is ****, so are his assistants. We need a coach who can adapt, isn't risk adverse, and who can have the wiles to create new structures BEFORE the opposition. Des record the last 5-6 years (not even being a .500 coach) is terrible.

2. New recruitment team. Our recruitment is crap. We are taking plods from bottom placed teams (Tuilagi), yet lose Taufua, Taupau, Walker, Foran, Davey, Dunford and others - and are filling our top 30 out with scrubs from a blacktown workers team that could possibly be the worst team in the history of rugby league since their alliance with Manly (sub .200).

3. Player culture. We need to re-instate a no dickhead policy. We need more Jamie Lyon, Jake Trbojevic, Steve Menzies types. These non emotional Tuipulotu, Koula types inspire nothing. Tuipulotu as the slowest play-the-ball speed in the comp these past 6 games. Got a case of the Jorge Taufua's - everything at half speed.

4. Management need to improve. We are once again airing dirty laundry in public. We aren't improving off the field. We aren't gaining momentum. Fans interest is dropping off at a rate of knots. The media department sucks. Our membership is one of (if not THE) worst in the league.

5. Ownership. We have the worst owner in the name of professional sports. The Penn family have made their massive profit off the club, yet cry foul about investing a small percentage of it back into the club. Time for us to get a passionate, plugged in owner.

6. Facilities. Our facilities suck. Having one part (possibly 20%) of the ground updated and upgraded and the rest looking like a 70's dinosaur is embarrassing for the local council and government. FFS, the stadium in Leichardt collapsed. What's wrong with these people. They want death's before investment?

I'll stop there.

Basically, we've fallen from being one of the financially elite clubs to the middle/lower income bracket. I think the loss of the Leagues Club (for a quick profit) was somewhat short-sited. It could have been redeveloped and it would have provided the club with a stronger financial base; which would have allowed us to be more competitive.
Let's be honest, there may be a salary cap but we all know those wealthier clubs seem to find a way to "make things happen" cough, cough.
Unless we can find a way to restore the club to its former glory I'm afraid we are going to remain a mid-table team for many years to come.
You can't blame the Penns for selling the leagues club, blame the leagues club for putting itself in the position where it had no option other than to sell the club to the Penns

You can't blame the Penns for selling the leagues club, blame the leagues club for putting itself in the position where it had no option other than to sell the club to the Penns
See post #4.

And that only covers some of their issues over the last three decades.

I'm a member of several large Northern Beaches Clubs are all are massively profitable. The DYRSL is a monster, investing more than $100m in improvements and it has worked. You are lucky to get in there on a Friday or Saturday night. The Harbord Diggers is another club that has prospered by improving its facilities. The Pittwater RSL has more recently lifted its game and is trading well.
Maybe there is already enough huge clubs on the NB, but if the Manly Leagues Club is to compete the first thing it should do is recruit the brains trust behind the DYRSL, then be prepared to invest heavily in new facilities.
Our football club needs the financial strength that profitable leagues clubs provide

I'm a member of several large Northern Beaches Clubs are all are massively profitable. The DYRSL is a monster, investing more than $100m in improvements and it has worked. You are lucky to get in there on a Friday or Saturday night. The Harbord Diggers is another club that has prospered by improving its facilities. The Pittwater RSL has more recently lifted its game and is trading well.
Maybe there is already enough huge clubs on the NB, but if the Manly Leagues Club is to compete the first thing it should do is recruit the brains trust behind the DYRSL, then be prepared to invest heavily in new facilities.
Our football club needs the financial strength that profitable leagues clubs provide

Maybe DYRSL should buy Manly.

Maybe DYRSL should buy Manly.
That will never happen. They’re too busy making money.

The club is on the right track buying the DY bowlo. They’ve been trying for a merger here or there for years - including a mooted merger with Harbord Diggers, then with the old bowling club in District Park.

Last edited:
That will never happen. They’re too busy making money.

The club is on the right track buying the DY bowlo. They’ve been trying for years, including a mooted merger with Harbord Diggers, then with the old bowling club in District Park.
I read recently Manly Leagues is also looking to absorb Narrabeen RSL (currently in receivership) but many believe it's only the 24 poker machine licenses they're after.

One thing of note in the Mestrov-Hasler press conference was Tony’s reference to ‘we haven’t had one for awhile,’ in terms of a CEO.

Confirms what we probably already know, in between the regular rotation of CEOs, there is a void space at head office.

The Leagues Club started to go downhill in the late 90's. Instead of managing their poker machine installation they chose to refurb/develop and put their money and interests into the gym. Once the pokies were getting stale, the turnover dropped.

I'm a big fan of Foran as many here might know from the distant past but i was not in favour of signing Foran up again because it only offered short term benefits and medium term stagnation.

Walker was developing into a quality 5/8, effective in the semi and back end of season 2019 until the squad suffered injuries and his own off field dramas prevented further development in 2020.

Now we have Schuster who has some pretty good ball skills in some respects but is already showing limitations both from a size and sharpness perspective and lazy ball playing ineffective ways that need to be ironed out early by a coach with the balls to tell it as it is.

Now in saying that with Foran back at the club and performing great in both attack and offering great leadership qualities i would of retained Walker also as the next 5/8 from the age of 29-33/34.

DCE should be offered to the Dolphins so Manly can develop a new fresh dynamic direct spark at half that plays more simple and direct and in his early years more a link man to Foran, Walker and Schuster, this will ease cap pressure and offer a variety of options at 5/8 or on the edges.

In the same way DCE had a simple role in his first year surrounded with talent on the edges with Foran, Lyon and G.Stewart.

Souths have something similar going on with a mature Cody Walker being effective, Cam Murray taking the heat off a young half back also.

My gut feeling is half way through next year if Manly is still performing around a mid table team that DCE will be offered up to the Dolphins or the Dolphins needing that big signing will make a big push for DCE.

Would love to keep Schuster as a ballplaying edge back rower who can fill in at 5/8 but not fussed if he leaves either. Yes Schuster will have some great games at 5/8 but i don't think the consistency will be there and his weight will fluctuate based on enthusiasm and dedication too wildly.As a ballplaying backrower on the edges i think you will find more consistency in his game and be more effective, plus the pressure to slim down will not be as punishing, Schuster should aim for a Brad Fittler kind of 5/8 ballplaying lock role.

I read recently Manly Leagues is also looking to absorb Narrabeen RSL (currently in receivership) but many believe it's only the 24 poker machine licenses they're after.
Here’s a link to the Narrabeen RSL Facebook site, confirming that:

Looks like the local sub-branch, owners of the Nth Narra site, have evicted them the licensed premises. I wonder whether all 24 pokies will go to Manly Leagues, or if some find their way to the DYBC.

Here’s a link to the Narrabeen RSL Facebook site, confirming that:

Looks like the local sub-branch, owners of the Nth Narra site, have evicted them the licensed premises. I wonder whether all 24 pokies will go to Manly Leagues, or if some find their way to the DYBC.
Yep, that's where I read it.

Apparently the owners raised the rent after the 2 years of COVID shutdowns etc so the club went into voluntary receivership.

Such a shame, as it was one of the best live music venues on the beaches.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4