Glenn Stewart return

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Given the anger created among the playing group when told Glenn was leaving i don't think the club can afford to not play him at least off the bench no matter how late in the season it is.

If gift is as Injured as some are saying, and if souths are as concerned about his longevity as is rumoured. Why don't manly get souths to meet them half way, get Glenn out of his contract, stay on at manly In the coaching ranks.. Would be a dynamite forwards coach.. We'll respected.. Knows the joint inside out and re-bonds the playing group.

I guess it's just if the mental side of retiring can be reconciled with the physical side. Assuming of course that the severity of injuries rumoured is close to the mark.

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
Napper said:
He's faking injury because he doesn't want to play for Manly ever again
That & the fact we don't need more intercept passes.

Exactly.
Sentiment doesn't cut it at the finals end of the season.

Gifty's timing will need to be honed, along with his match fitness.
The opponents he will face have had 3 months of honing their playmaking structures.

It will be interesting to see how 2v sees the combos.
He may well be peeved at the senior players for feeding the Media bloodlust :cool:

RiverEagle said:
HappilyManly said:
Match fitness can not be simulated, especially coming off a broken ankle.
Gifty took 6 weeks, coming off a lower leg strain last year, to get back to form last year.
He was unsighted in the GF too with that freak first tackle injury :s
Having a couple of games in reserves would get his aerobic fitness up.
No no no no no...lol!
Even if the sensitivities of the group are half as tender as reported, making Gift run around in reggies would be a disaster!
The way our little master often preserves the 17th player, as long as Gift can get through about 30 (15 mins each half) the psychological boost would be immeasurable too.
If I dare to daydream a bit, it's that scenario...maybe not 40-0 (with Beaver) but a GF win to send Gift off as the champion he is.
And put the perfect exclamation point on this playing group once and forever.
Sometimes RiverEagle, Dreams do really come true; justice comes. Its the law of probabilities.
The sort of finish you envisage for Gifty will be the compensation for the refereeing we will almost certainly get in this year's GF at the hands of Shame or Ceccin.

Stevo said:
Given the anger created among the playing group when told Glenn was leaving i don't think the club can afford to not play him at least off the bench no matter how late in the season it is.

G'day all,So if a bloke has been slogging it out all season to be told sorry mate you miss out,what about his feelings,or don't they matter?The only criteria for selection is form,fitness and who gets the job done,and i'm sure the coaching staff will make the appropriate decision if or when it arises.
cheers mike

mike walker said:
Stevo said:
G'day all,So if a bloke has been slogging it out all season to be told sorry mate you miss out,what about his feelings,or don't they matter?The only criteria for selection is form,fitness and who gets the job done,and i'm sure the coaching staff will make the appropriate decision if or when it arises.
cheers mike
See your point Mike, i'm sure we all do, but Glenn Stewart has been a MWSE stalwart for years and years. And the feelings of the young player can be sacrificed / balanced against the long and illustrious career that Gifty has had at Manly. He is 'owed' "20 mins in the Sun" for his last hoorah. Beaver style. We could already have it in the bag, and the younger guy whoever that is will surely get his turn later.

He only need throw that one special pass to Snake, Killer or DCE to make it the fitting farewell.

mike walker said:
Stevo said:

cheers mike
Mate it's pretty obvious from your posts that your not a huge fan of Gift, and believe Symonds/Horo are a better option.
These 2 are good solid 1st graders while Gift is a dual premiership winner who's done it all in the game.
Just plain silly to suggest Gift comes back in the reggies. Quite disrespectful after everything he's done for the club.

mike walker said:
Stevo said:

cheers mike

So you are saying that if he is fit enough to play, they shouldn't play him ahead of Hasson, Lui, Symonds or Sene-Lefao becuase they have filled the gaps adequately? An international quality, dual premiership winning player who has 10+ years at this club doesn't even deserve to go out with a spot on the bench?

You're kidding right?

Precedent. Des did it to Darcy Lussick in 2011

mike walker said:
Stevo said:

cheers mike

Mike, agree with your sentiment but the appropriate decision will be made by considering both Quantifiable and Qualifyable factors. It maybe that the opinion is the phycological advantage of playing Glen may out weigh the physical disadvantages.

Yes, but in fairness to @"mike walker" too

I see his point, but the crucial difference is, if Gifty is fit enough to genuinely play a role (even from the bench).

And yeah I do agree (if yes) he takes a bench spot.
Whoever misses out has all of next year and beyond to make a spot his own.

Who was this bloke in #13 who was instrumental in all 5 tries v Warriors last year?

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2014/07/23/manly_v_warriors_highlights_round_22_2013.html

Think he might deserve a run when fit?

Things do change from season to season. Look how well the Wolfman was playing. He scored three meat pies in that match.

Shoe1 said:
Who was this bloke in #13 who was instrumental in all 5 tries v Warriors last year?

Think he might deserve a run when fit?

I was there, that was a great Sunday afternoon in Gosford.

I think the issue is when will he be fit? It took a lot of games for Glenn to get back to his best in that match.

mike walker said:
Stevo said:

cheers mike
Proven Big match players with big match experience is what wins big matches .Gift has done it all for Manly NSW and Australia he dosent have to prove anything to anyone accept his fitness .
The players respect a legend for Manly like Gift
and playing beside him for the last time they will all lift

Need to get Tooves, Cliffy, Fatty, Bozo, O'conner, Krillich back in the side since they are prooven big match performers

Fluffy said:
Need to get Tooves, Cliffy, Fatty, Bozo, O'conner, Krillich back in the side since they are prooven big match performers
They are not registerd to play for us this year :D

Fluffy said:

Recently you have been a massive dick. And that's not always a good thing.

Stevo said:
Fluffy said:

Recently you have been a massive dick. And that's not always a good thing.

Your a lovable chap. Call him Stevo..... Stevo the Moos.

G'
Stevo said:
mike walker said:
Stevo said:

cheers mike

So you are saying that if he is fit enough to play, they shouldn't play him ahead of Hasson, Lui, Symonds or Sene-Lefao becuase they have filled the gaps adequately? An international quality, dual premiership winning player who has 10+ years at this club doesn't even deserve to go out with a spot on the bench?

You're kidding right?

Precedent. Des did it to Darcy Lussick in 2011
G'day all,My initial point was in response to players being upset and just pointing out that whoever misses out has feelings too and are they anyless important than anyone elses.I don't see anywhere in my response saying if he was fit he shouldn't play but I do see where I said form,fitness and whoever gets the job done are the selection criteria and that the coaching staff will make the appropriate decision.That means that I have every confidence the coaching staff will decide whats for the best and will back their judgement whoever they select.
cheers mike

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4