Glenn Stewart Released

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
And how old is Barry now? So effectively this is Gifty's announcement of retirement.

I expect so, I hope we don't go all " mushy" and sign him to make past wrongs right.

Don't get me wrong, he and his brother will go down as two of the greatest to play for us, but at 31/32 he couldn't handle it at Souths, so a couple of years later it would be a complete disaster and a waste of salary cap, which could be far better utilised topping up some young players IF we can't sign anyone else decent.

I'm not going to comment on whether he's a stud or a dud,but to be fair to him he came straight from SL to NRL without a pre season or any time for combinations or settling in.I think he deserves a full pre season and then the season to form an opinion on whether he's like Tomkins or a decent player.

Slightly built pommies struggle with the physicality of NRL so you need more than just speed. Conversely if Hardaker puts on 10kgs (which he'd need in NRL ) his pace would probably be compromised. It's a big no from me.

O
On the water boy issue I was talking to Beaver at Tooves farewell last year and he was all set to run the water for us in 2016. I wonder what went wrong?
i wondered that too. Anyone know?

I'd say the question was answered when he mentioned where it was he spoke to Beaver about it.....
No I don't think even the Penns are that stupid to get Beaver offside, they know how well loved he is by Manly supporters. I can only assume it was a contractual issue or maybe Beaver had 2nd thoughts about the role.

No I don't think even the Penns are that stupid to get Beaver offside, they know how well loved he is by Manly supporters. I can only assume it was a contractual issue or maybe Beaver had 2nd thoughts about the role.
Yeah I'm sure that's it. It isn't a great job by the looks of it. Beaver is at most games I have been to and he is in a suit talking to the crowd, doing ambassadorial stuff.

Fair commute to work for Gifty, released from Catalans to come home for family reasons (I believe?) now has signed on with Leigh Centurions for 2017.

Last edited:
Maybe the "family" reasons are that Leigh have a spot for his brother Brett In the team? And
Catalans didn't
Total assumption

I hope so, be great for the two brothers who shared so much to have a final year together, and you can imagine Brett might find some passion again in doing that.

BUT the huge pity is no farewell walk around Brookvale Oval!!

If true It's sad that the deal could not have been done to allow that to happen.

O

i wondered that too. Anyone know?
Yes. He was seen to be supporting the outgoing coach, thus a bridge too far (a Cornelius Ryan moment) for some in the outfit.

Alternately, he had a rethink on the current coaching arrangements and thought to himself, 'Stay away Steve.'

Beaver probably got an upgraded contract with the Matty Johns Show and realised the pay and job security of a Manly Trainer was never going to compete with his revised TV deal. He still gets to promote the club as an ambassador and I'm hoping he moves into the coaching ranks one day but wouldn't blame him sticking with his current set up.
I'd love to get Glenn back on a cheap deal for all the reasons already mentioned on this thread. He could be a great mentor for the younger players and we could try use him the same way luke Lewis and Chris Heinington played for the Sharks this year with reduced minutes?..

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8