Glen and Brett to dogs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
EagleFromMay1967 said:
I do not normally listen to rumours. However they abound:

Have heard via someone who knows 2V, or is in some contact with him, in some capacity outside RL, that Brett is going to (or already has in effect), ask for a release from his contract with MWSE to go play with his brother at the Dogs under Des-imator. :mad: :mad:

Dogs are looking for a quality fullback. Snake has 2-3 years left in him.
MWSE struggling to keep Gifty. MWSE forced to choose between older established stars and the new "Young Set". Join the dots.

Be Manly. Dont be a dog!

I am sure he wont leave for the dogs. If he does.. well.. two of our greatest ever players will have a black mark next to their name. Sad. I hate NRL sometimes. There should be a transfer window for all this BS to occur (like in the premier league) rather than ruining our season mid season with all this crap. Say the month of April. Do all your business. Anything after that you cannot do. Sorry Des we know you like to unsettle players and get them cheaper mid season.

This will probably be an unpopular view, but if Snake and Gift do leave, then instantly all of our cap troubles are fixed. Snake is an injury liability with his legs these days and every game I worry about him getting injured. That is a lot of money to be sitting on the sideline for 1/4 of the season.

Obviously they are immensely talented when on the park and have been huge for the club, but in the salary cap days we have to be realistic about it all.

We should not mortgage the future in order to satisfy a few within the team.

I can't see how any (other) club could afford both of them together if they both want top dollar. Surely they'd have to take a paycut to go as a package deal for 2-3 years....and what's the point of that when they could stay where they are.

StuBoot said:
they'd have to take a paycut to go as a package deal for 2-3 years....and what's the point of that when they could stay where they are.
They can't stay here, well Glenn can't, as things stand now.
We don't have enough space under the cap to make him an offer that the NRL will accept as reflecting his 'real' value.

MWSE said:
This will probably be an unpopular view, but if Snake and Gift do leave, then instantly all of our cap troubles are fixed. Snake is an injury liability with his legs these days and every game I worry about him getting injured. That is a lot of money to be sitting on the sideline for 1/4 of the season.

Obviously they are immensely talented when on the park and have been huge for the club, but in the salary cap days we have to be realistic about it all.

We should not mortgage the future in order to satisfy a few within the team.

Brett may not be on the field much, but with Brett our team are genuine premiership contenders and without him we are a solid top 4 team.

Tired of hearing this crap about Glenn and Brett , Brett's had it anyway..... Ridiculous contract to be given to Brett, but now Glenn is also wanting a contract reflecting his form of old, the club is bigger then even the Stewarts ..... Great players but please....if they really love the club why drag it out in the media, it's really getting old..... Brett if you serious about playing with your brother, take a cut.

From what we can gather at this stage @c eagle, Glenn is prepared to accept less for his next deal, or at least we're trying to work something out with the NRL.

As for Snake, his contract is cut-and-dried for the next few yrs anyway...( unless he wants to slip his big bro' $100k for Christmas...lol ).

SeaEagleRock8 said:
StuBoot said:
they'd have to take a paycut to go as a package deal for 2-3 years....and what's the point of that when they could stay where they are.
They can't stay here, well Glenn can't, as things stand now.
We don't have enough space under the cap to make him an offer that the NRL will accept as reflecting his 'real' value.

So why wouldn't Brett take a pay cut to keep him here? He'd have to take a pay cut to go elsewhere or am I missing something?

Yeah, on a serious note, it's not that much of a stretch for Brett to renegotiate his terms...then with some or any salary-cap relief from the NRL for Glenn's long-service, we can keep both 'til the end of their playing days.

It all makes perfect sense......which is why neither will probably happen.

TokyoEagle said:
Players can renegotiate a contract to receive more money, why can't they renegotiate to receive less ?

The Broncos made an art of paying their stars unders.... Apparently

bob dylan said:
Move on people nothing new here.

Can anyone tell me if its 2014 or still 2012.

Exactly BORING .... we are 3 from 4,
and this crap comes up, could be worse you could be a souths supporter

StuBoot said:
I can't see how any (other) club could afford both of them together if they both want top dollar. Surely they'd have to take a paycut to go as a package deal for 2-3 years....and what's the point of that when they could stay where they are.

Exactly Glen wanting say $800, Brett wanting say $900 , yeah right who'd pay that for injury prone players in their twilight. To Manly they are important , as a package less so to others

The Stewart brothers are safe at the moment from the scumdogs..

they think they can go all the way now after beating the roosters ..... wait until they start losing again , and the Stewart brothers will be back on their radar..

i was looking forward to the weekend , now i have to deal with a win from the scumdogs.... but then again i feel the same about a roosters win...

oh well you cant help bad luck......

To be honest - they are both past their best.
Thanks for the service to the club you will always have our respect & gratitude.

I am more worried about the remaining group - Matai , Chock etc. we cant afford to lose too many core payers at once - else we will find ourselves wandering in the wilderness for a few years.

Things that make you go Hmmmmm.

wasn't having a pop at anyone - just stating a fact.
Poor management by the board to let it get to this stage - but hey - whats new.

It wasn't really directed at you jerry, it's all this manly are bigger than the Stewart brothers, brett should take a cut if he wants to play with is brother ...shouldn't be played out in media etc etc... in this thread and other threads.

It's more the other manly players and media who are having their say.

Mal Cochrane said:
It wasn't really directed at you jerry, it's all this manly are bigger than the Stewart brothers, brett should take a cut if he wants to play with is brother ...shouldn't be played out in media etc etc... in this thread and other threads.

It's more the other manly players and media who are having their say.

Exactly. Pretty sure Glen is the kind of guy who'd prefer not to make a fuss and would hate to have any of this played out in the papers. Poor guy's probably embarrassed that his photo was on the front page of "The Manly Daily".

I'm sure a few players had to be cut in order to keep Glenn over the last 3 years, now the shoe is on the other foot. Really hope we can keep him, but I think money can be better spent elsewhere if we are looking to the future.

This is why the NRL's refusal to consider long term player discounts is so frustrating. It makes sense on so many levels except in their peanut sized brains.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6