Gibbs says pick Burns + other Manly Daily stories

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
http://manlydaily.com.au/sport.html

Burns' final spark

Jason Avedissian

26Sep07
Johnny Gibbs has tipped Travis Burns to make an impact if he plays on Sunday. Picture: SIMON DEAN HKG14572

Johnny Gibbs has tipped Travis Burns to make an impact if he plays on Sunday.
Picture: SIMON DEAN HKG14572

EX-KANGAROOS half Johnny Gibbs has implored coach Des Hasler to play departing Sea Eagle Travis Burns in Sunday's NRL grand final.

Burns was last night named on the bench in a 20-man Sea Eagles squad for the decider against the Melbourne Storm at Telstra Stadium on Sunday night.

The rugged 23-year-old is in his final season at the club before he heads north to the Cowboys.

Gibbs believes the inclusion of Burns would raise the hopes of Manly ending an 11-year premiership drought on Sunday night.

``I think Manly's chances with Travis Burns as part of the 17 would be enhanced,'' Gibbs said last night.

``It gives them more options in attack, gives them another dimension, more spark.

``Des has done an outstanding job to get the team this far and I can understand him (Burns) not playing last week.

``The Cowboys were ready to be steamrolled up front, but I think for this game, it gives them more options around dummy half with Travis playing.

``He's a damn good player and if he's fit enough I think he should be a part of it.''

Burns has not played since Manly's round 25 win over the Dragons at Brookvale Oval.

Hasler last night named winger Chris Hicks in his squad with the departing back tipped to overcome the ankle injury which kept him out of the preliminary final win over the Cowboys.

Burns, Glenn Hall, Mark Bryant, Steve Menzies, Matt Ballin, Jack Afamasaga and local junior Adam Cuthbertson were all named on the bench with three to miss out.]

Des's clean ship policy pays off

Jason Avedissian

26Sep07

A ``no mugs'' policy adopted four years ago under Manly coach Des Hasler has been the blueprint behind the Sea Eagles rise to this weekend's NRL grand final.

Hasler, a cleanskin during his playing days who is rumoured to have celebrated the 1987 premiership win with just two middies, is the man behind Manly's newfound reputation.

It was in stark contrast to previous days when the club was seen as a haven for troubled players.

Not any more, with Hasler instilling his reputation onto his squad.

``In 2003 when Des and I first started we had a flow-chart on a whiteboard and it was: `no mugs','' Manly recruitment guru Noel ``Crusher'' Cleal revealed this week.

``That was one of the things that was constant.

``We didn't want mugs in the joint, we are mindful of not recruiting them.

``It's proven successful.

``They are just a good bunch of young blokes who are eager to succeed without too much fanfare.''

A quick scan of the grand final squad chosen to take on the Melbourne Storm at Telstra Stadium on Sunday night goes along with Cleal's theory.

While the odd one or two have got up to some mischief over the past two years, the growing maturity, coupled with a strong religious factor among some players, has translated to results on the paddock.

``There are no egos,'' CEO Grant Mayer said.

``They are very talented athletes and good blokes.

``It's a tight-knit group of players and it shows on the field.''

Centre Jamie Lyon, in his first season at the club, said he simply likes playing with ``some good blokes''.

``You don't want to blow your own trumpet too much,'' he said.

``We do a lot of charity work, Mick Monaghan leads that.

``I just think we've got a some good blokes here.''

Don't cross Bryant, but he has soft spot for the enemy

26Sep07

MANLY forward Mark Bryant has a secret - he has a soft spot for the enemy.

The hulking interchange forward has revealed he was close friends with Melbourne prop Ben Cross and that he was privately hoping his NRL rival could overcome a hamstring injury to play in Sunday's grand final at Telstra Stadium.

``I hope he does get through and plays, obviously, because he is a mate and he is leaving the Storm next year to go to Newcastle,'' Bryant said.

``He would be absolutely devastated to miss out, he'd be ropeable.

``Anyone who knows Crossy knows he is a real passionate guy.

``He'd feel more like he has let his mates down as opposed to just missing the game and if he does it would be devastating.''

The bond of friendship between Cross and Bryant runs deep for one reason - they won a Grand Final together four years ago.

The two forwards led the way in Canberra's premier league triumph in 2003 before both parted ways with Bryant joining the Sea Eagles in 2005 and Cross moving to the Storm last year.

Even though Bryant and Cross share a premiership experience, it doesn't mean the 26-year-old Manly player will take it any easier against his good mate on Sunday.

``Crossy and I are mates but I suppose all love is lost once we get on the field and I'm sure he'll tell you the same thing,'' Bryant said.

``I will probably send him a text during the week and no doubt we'll catch up at the end of the season for a beer.''

But the previous Grand Final experience with Cross is what Bryant will rely upon to prepare himself for Sunday's big clash.

``It's the end of the season and you know after this one there is no more,'' he said.

``It's win or lose, do or die.

``As long as you prepare well I think it takes care of itself.''

Heroes' parade

Chelsea White

26Sep07

WIN or lose, the Sea Eagles will be treated to a heroes' reception - a ticker-tape parade on golf buggies through The Corso and a presentation of the keys to Manly.

Yesterday, Manly Council held talks with Sea Eagles CEO Grant Mayer to secure the event for next Wednesday to honour the team's achievements.

Manly Mayor Peter Macdonald said: ``We have pencilled that in as the best date. `Win or lose, we are planning that.''

Last time the Eagles won in 1996 the council threw a similar parade but it was held a number of weeks after the win and with much less fanfare.

Eleven years later, the council is promising a bigger and more exciting cavalcade.

The council is hoping to have a morning ceremony at Brookvale Oval culminating in a ticker-tape parade along The Corso where the players will be presented with the key to Manly by the mayor.

General manger Henry Wong said the community was proud of the team no matter what the result at the weekend.

``If we can't get vehicles on we will get golf buggies on The Corso. One way or another we will get them there,'' Mr Wong said.

Mr Mayer was a bit more cautious yesterday, suggesting the parade should only go ahead if the team was victorious.

``Obviously, we are excited but there is still a bit of work to do to get it over the line,'' Mr Mayer said.

He said the event would be an excellent opportunity for players and fans to celebrate a great season - if the Sea Eagles won.

``I tend to think it comes down to rewarding victory.''

``Celebrating a victory is a public thing but commiserating a loss is a private thing,'' he said.

This is not the only event Manly Council has in mind for the Grand Final and plans to show the game live on a giant screen on the beachfront.

The screening will be an alcohol-free event.

Manly MP Mike Baird is also calling for a parade in honour of the finalists but is proposing an event on a much grander scheme.

Mr Baird said Premier Morris Iemma should ive the Sea Eagles a ticker-tape parade starting at Sydney Town Hall, with the players making their way to Circular Quay before catching a ferry across to Manly.

Burns is a bum.
I cannot wait until Cuthbo storms over the top of him @ Nth Qld next year ALA Ben Creagh, and that backrower for The Warriors.

Gibbs was and always will be an idiot. Delivered nothing for us when he played and his support for Burns is laughable.

been saying it since his debut.. Burns offers nothing in attack.. all he does is run... and he makes half breaks and gets tackled. His kicking game is ordinary.. his defence is decent but he gives away too many penalties with his agression.. we dont need that in a final. He hasnt played for weeks....

Next..........

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4