General NRL chat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The NRL has axed former referees boss Tony Archer as part of its cost-cutting blitz. An old Todd Greenberg favourite, Archer’s been working in pathways for three years since being controversially removed from the refereeing ranks after years of turmoil among whistle blowers.

Another former ref and bunker official, Steve Clark, has also been made redundant.

------------------------------------------------------------

TIGERS FINED FOR COVERING UP CAMERA

The Tigers have become the first club to be fined by the NRL this season for covering up dressing-room cameras during TV broadcasts.

It’s happened twice this year with Josh Aloiai and Luciano Leilua placing towels over the cameras before and after games while the networks are trying to get fans closer to the action.

The NRL handed out a $5000 suspended fine after their Round 8 game against the Panthers. The fine was then enforced when it happened again in Round 13 against Newcastle.

I posted this elsewhere...

Hotel tycoon Arthur Laundy is heading bush next weekend on a 900km mission to sign two of rugby league’s most exciting youngsters.
The man who owns 72 pubs and is worth $833 million, will visit the parents of Penrith Panthers star rookie discoveries Matt Burton in Dubbo and Charlie Staines in Forbes.

Laundy, 79, recently signed as the major sponsor of the under-siege Canterbury Bulldogs and is determined to help new coach Trent Barrett turn the club back into a NRL powerhouse like the old days.

-----------------------------------------------

The whole article is basically "what a hero this rich guy is for heading out and trying to sign a couple of good players for his beloved bulldogs."

Fair enough but -

When greenblurgh was changing the rules when targeting Manly (dodgily backed by some QC) both he and the media were attacking our own Brenda (RIP) for 'possibly some illegal third party dealings going on.

Why is it ok by the media (and the nrl) that Laundy can head out to throw money at these guys but apparently Manly broke a thousand rules with Brenda?

Has the rule changed or was it just a case of the Manly situation being a greenburg-hunt?

I read at times where Russell Crowe 'has chats' to potential signings but I thought he still had some ownership.

Meh...maybe I've missed something.

tele

SHOOSH 3

There are going to be huge changes in the refereeing ranks at the end of the season. Not only is Bernard Sutton facing the chop as referees’ boss but his mate Russell Smith has been heavily criticised in a review of the department and faces an uncertain future.

All professional...all the time...

SHOOSH II

The drug tests on five Penrith players after the loss to Melbourne Storm in the premiership decider were the first at an NRL grand final for three years. No tests were done in 2018 or 2019.

All professional...all the time...

SHOOSH II

The drug tests on five Penrith players after the loss to Melbourne Storm in the premiership decider were the first at an NRL grand final for three years. No tests were done in 2018 or 2019.
Yes. Just mentioned this nugget in the Naden post without realising you'd captured it here.
We'll never know what red. white and blue Boosters they were on.

Workers have signed yet another hooker a Tyrell Neiufi. Listed as a Hooker/Lock. Workers quote goal of regular NSW cup and make a push for the top 30? Certainly talking a good game. I read that he mainly played on the wing for the Roosters Fleg side in 2019. Which seems a big jump. Unusual compilation Wing/Hooker/Lock.

You have to wonder if any of ZDC Pissinghard and the Python are still at Blacktown with hookers and halves getting signed? Can you assist at all Smokin'?
No idea with ZDC,Phythian went back to Newcastle area after covid ended CC,he expressed that he would come back down to Workers if they wanted him in 2021 and remained in contact with Hales,don't know if anything has eventuated yet,doesn't look to be all players at training yet though.
In 2019 Neiufi played 80% on the wing and a couple in centres,he played one game starting in second row and one starting at lock(don't know if injuries or coach experimenting),he played a number off the bench but don't know where he played when came on.
Hard to think a winger would have the passing game to be a serious option as a dummy half,he was a winger as a junior too,don't know if there is a serious history of being a nine at grassroots though....

Super League playmaker Jackson Hastings has declared himself ready to prove he deserves another shot in the NRL.

Hastings was released from the Sea Eagles after being dropped to the reserves following a reported altercation with Daly Cherry-Evans.

He also played 47 games for the Roosters where he reportedly got on the wrong side of some senior players in the squad.

Hastings is currently contracted to Wigan until the end of the 2021 season but he revealed to the Daily Telegraphthat his plan has always been to return to the NRL, if there is interest.

“The plan was always to eventually come back to Australia and hopefully get a deal to play in the NRL,” he said.
“I’ve been very lucky to go to England and play some pretty good footy and work on rebuilding my image.
“Australia is home, but this is where I didn’t fulfil my potential.”

Hastings added that returning to the NRL would give him a chance to prove he has matured since his last stint at Manly.
“I’d love to come back and change people’s perception of me, everyone knows what note I left on,” he said.
“I want people to know the real Jackson Hastings, not the person they saw four or five years ago.”

SBW to retire.

Sonny Bill Williams has confirmed he's now focused on becoming a world champion boxer, stating his career as a footballer is officially over.

Williams, 35, today revealed his time in rugby league has come to an end, having played his last game in the NRL with the Sydney Roosters during their semi-final loss to the Canberra Raiders last year.

The NRL is investigating potential COVID protocol breaches from four players who attended Wednesday night’s boxing match between Tim Tszyu and Dennis Hogan in Newcastle.
The Daily Telegraph reports that Wests Tigers centre James Roberts, an unknown player from a Sydney club and Souths pair Cody Walker and Latrell Mitchell are the players that attended the fight.

The NRL reportedly sent an email to clubs on Wednesday afternoon warning players against attending the fight.

SBW to retire.

Sonny Bill Williams has confirmed he's now focused on becoming a world champion boxer, stating his career as a footballer is officially over.

Williams, 35, today revealed his time in rugby league has come to an end, having played his last game in the NRL with the Sydney Roosters during their semi-final loss to the Canberra Raiders last year.

Its always been his dream

lol

The North Sydney Bears haven’t given up hope of returning to the NRL in some form, with the club’s chairman declaring: “We wouldn’t be doing our brand justice if we weren’t getting ourselves available for any NRL growth.”

Bears fans are still getting over the pain of being squeezed out of the top tier more than two decades ago. The foundation club exited the league in 1999, before their failed merger with Manly ended in 2003.

However, independent research shows the club still has 220,000 avid followers, a huge supporter base for an outfit now acting as the Roosters’ feeder club in the NSW Cup reserve grade competition.

While most pundits felt the Bears were content with their second-tier status, club powerbrokers say their ambition is to return to the NRL. While it is highly unlikely that will come in the form of a stand-alone entity, there could be an opportunity to partner with an existing club or one of the prospective franchises jockeying for the NRL’s 17th licence.

“I want to be the chair of an organisation that wants to be part of the NRL,” North Sydney chairman Daniel Dickson told The Sun-Herald.

“It has been 20 years [since exclusion] and our fans still feel that pain. But, as a club, absolutely, we want to have our heritage, our foundation and our brand involved in anything the NRL does moving forward. There are different opportunities and ways that could occur.

“We want to show respect to the NRL, but let them know we are here. And we’re here in a big way.”

The Bears have assembled a consortium of businesspeople prepared to invest millions of dollars to help fund a return to the NRL. Departing chief executive David Perry, who helped assemble the backers, will continue to assist the club on a voluntary basis.

“We still have very relevant backers financially and corporately that are ready and waiting for an opportunity,” Dickson said. “Whether that presents itself in someone taking on our brand, in a relocation or a 17th team ... we would be a fantastic partner.

etc etc etc

lol

The North Sydney Bears haven’t given up hope of returning to the NRL in some form, with the club’s chairman declaring: “We wouldn’t be doing our brand justice if we weren’t getting ourselves available for any NRL growth.”

Bears fans are still getting over the pain of being squeezed out of the top tier more than two decades ago. The foundation club exited the league in 1999, before their failed merger with Manly ended in 2003.

However, independent research shows the club still has 220,000 avid followers, a huge supporter base for an outfit now acting as the Roosters’ feeder club in the NSW Cup reserve grade competition.

While most pundits felt the Bears were content with their second-tier status, club powerbrokers say their ambition is to return to the NRL. While it is highly unlikely that will come in the form of a stand-alone entity, there could be an opportunity to partner with an existing club or one of the prospective franchises jockeying for the NRL’s 17th licence.

“I want to be the chair of an organisation that wants to be part of the NRL,” North Sydney chairman Daniel Dickson told The Sun-Herald.

“It has been 20 years [since exclusion] and our fans still feel that pain. But, as a club, absolutely, we want to have our heritage, our foundation and our brand involved in anything the NRL does moving forward. There are different opportunities and ways that could occur.

“We want to show respect to the NRL, but let them know we are here. And we’re here in a big way.”

The Bears have assembled a consortium of businesspeople prepared to invest millions of dollars to help fund a return to the NRL. Departing chief executive David Perry, who helped assemble the backers, will continue to assist the club on a voluntary basis.

“We still have very relevant backers financially and corporately that are ready and waiting for an opportunity,” Dickson said. “Whether that presents itself in someone taking on our brand, in a relocation or a 17th team ... we would be a fantastic partner.

etc etc etc
Always hated Nth Sydney but would love to see the Bears back in some way. Maybe a merger with Gosford, similar to Nthn Eagles but without Manly of course. They could be a strong club with the central coast

220,000 avid followers.... after being out of the top grade for 20 years ??
Wonder why they went bust then.
If all of em gave 50 bucks a year theyd generate 11 million a season....i call massive BS.

There’s no such thing as a one-man team, even when it’s Tom Trbojevic at Manly, and as impressive as the Sea Eagles fullback has been in turning around his side’s form, it’s not all his making.

Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles, Manly’s feeder club in NSW Cup, might be stranded on the bottom of the ladder but they have helped spur the first-grade side’s revival with a host of players graduating through to the NRL in recent weeks.

Josh Schuster, Haumole Olakau’atu, Morgan Harper, Cade Cust and Toafofoa Sipley have become crucial cogs in Des Hasler’s side in recent weeks after all starting the year in Matt Ballin’s NSW Cup side.

It’s the bittersweet lot of a reserve-grade coach — if your guys play too well, you lose them — but Ballin is always proud to see players from his side take the next step.

“All those guys have stepped up and are playing really good footy in first grade at the moment,” Ballin said.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2