Game Day Thread (Dark Mode)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
beats me how people can say they can see everything going on in a match when they spend 15 minutes or more looking and typing on their phone.

Must…type…message…before…next…play… 😂

giphy.gif

Last edited:

NREagle

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
As another poster mentioned... posters come and go. If some posters don't like the way certain people express themselves here, and decide to leave, then cool... it seems they have worked out for themselves that perhaps this forum is not the right vehicle for them. I have no issue with that. We still have a vibrant community willing to share.

If posters want to create a "dark thread" to share certain things that don't necessarily fit elsewhere, then fine. I can't imagine what it is some want to share there that they cant already share? I vent and swear my a$$ off during the GDT. If I overstep the mark, based on feedback and my own reflection, I simply put my hand up and own it (apologise). I really don't take it personally when certain people get upset about my "negative venting" posts, nor do I bother getting upset with posts I don't agree with. I counter them or ignore them. Simple.

It's the variety and colour that makes a forum. No, we don't want it ridiculous vanilla rainbows, and no, we don't want people bullying or attacking others personally. Those things happen occasionally, but mostly, we have these vigorous debates around contentious issues. I have no problem with the dialogue we are sharing around this topic now. I personally don't agree with the proposed split GDT as I'm concerned it dilutes the group and gives us less to bounce off on game day. That said, if people want it, I'm willing to let it run and see how it goes.

And thank you for the acknowledgement @NREagle.
All good @HK_Eagle

I'm a pretty mellow poster on here.

Usually see the team through glass half full eyes. @Ryan and I banter back and forth quite a bit because of it, but more often it is outside the site.

I haven't been posting as much lately, not because I don't love Manly/Silvertails but more so because I've had a lot of pretty awful things going on in my life and it's taking all my energy.

@Ryan has been a tremendous support to me through that. He's been more than that, to me, actually.

He has a good heart.

And although his idea may rub some posters the wrong way, I can say without a doubt he cares about this community and his suggestion comes from a good place.

Anyway, as far as the footy is concerned, I'm thankful the two points are already in the bag for this weekend.

Hope the boys rest up, then get stuck back into it, and train hard. I'd like to think we're celebrating a win sooner rather than later.

Go Manly.

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
All good @HK_Eagle

I'm a pretty mellow poster on here.

Usually see the team through glass half full eyes. @Ryan and I banter back and forth quite a bit because of it, but more often it is outside the site.

I haven't been posting as much lately, not because I don't love Manly/Silvertails but more so because I've had a lot of pretty awful things going on in my life and it's taking all my energy.

@Ryan has been a tremendous support to me through that. He's been more than that, to me, actually.

He has a good heart.

And although his idea may rub some posters the wrong way, I can say without a doubt he cares about this community and his suggestion comes from a good place.

Anyway, as far as the footy is concerned, I'm thankful the two points are already in the bag for this weekend.

Hope the boys rest up, then get stuck back into it, and train hard. I'd like to think we're celebrating a win sooner rather than later.

Go Manly.
Sorry to hear of the awful things, mate. I wish you all the best with it.

And just to be clear, my views on this have nothing to do with Ryan. I actually enjoy his posts, and often find myself agreeing with a lot of what he shares. I’m playing the ball, not the man.

NREagle

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I just find it all very unfortunate @NREagle that this discussion is even being had. I put it down to my own blissful ignorance of what a footy forum was going to be like. I read both negative and positive posts (also open to its own interpretation) and just move on from the ones that don't interest me.

The fact that there is now considered a need to start an invite group to talk about footy of all things, makes me think these things aren't really for me.
Sorry for the delay on responding @Seagles68 . You're one of my favourite posters on here, if favourites are allowed....so's @globaleagle but maybe don't let him know that 😂

Seagles68

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Sorry for the delay on responding @Seagles68 . You're one of my favourite posters on here, if favourites are allowed....so's @globaleagle but maybe don't let him know that 😂
I've had a Bex and a good lie down since my post @NREagle and have moved on. I still don't see the need but it is what it is. I would like to echo @HK_Eagle 's sentiments and wish you well. You seem too young to be burdened by life. You take it easy. And I agree, I do enjoy @globaleagle 's posts but we'll keep that between us :)

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
Lol,just after you say not attacking others.....practising your preaching is hard isn't it........
That wasn’t an attack on you Adz. It was a joke, imagining how game day posters are tied up on our phones thinking about how we are going to respond. Sorry, the humour attempt was not so great and a little obscure I guess. 😊

Just edited the text part to make it a bit clearer where I was coming from. 👍

Last edited:

Adz

Reserve Grader
That wasn’t an attack on you Adz. It was a joke, imagining how game day posters are tied up on our phones thinking about how we are going to respond. Sorry, the humour attempt was not so great and a little obscure I guess. 😊
Sure,crossed wires I guess,usual social media problem when you can't see facial expressions,tone of voice,etc ...

Andrew..

Bencher
Tipping Member
Haha I want in as @FrankCostanzasBadSide
Actually, the Dark Mode should have been called the "The Silvertails Festivus Thread" as it's all about the airing of grievances.
All jokes aside, there's some great people on this site (both ventors and optimists) I just hope it doesn't end up withering on the vine because at the end of the day we all share that same love for the mighty Eagles.

Eagles4Life

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Actually, the Dark Mode should have been called the "The Silvertails Festivus Thread" as it's all about the airing of grievances.
All jokes aside, there's some great people on this site (both ventors and optimists) I just hope it doesn't end up withering on the vine because at the end of the day we all share that same love for the mighty Eagles.
A Festivus for the rest of us @Andrew.. Will we implement the Silvertails feats of strength as well?

Waz13

Let’s all have a chew!
People will always leave the forum at one point or another
Yep people come and go for various reasons.

Havent really commented on this suggestion yet other than the @FrankCostanzasBadSide bit.

I don’t have an issue with this idea at all really, however I’m not really sure it will be that purposeful.

As for mine almost all threads on here get dark and negative from time to time. Some worse than the game day thread tbh. And I think other threads here create issues for posters in different ways that would potentially turn people off the site just as much or more as GD thread. I don’t believe a seperate thread for negative comments will prevent people leaving personally.

Anyway just a suggestion from @Ryan and done with good intent I believe so good on you for trying to find a solution.

I’d prob browse for a bit of a laugh, cos I actually find sone of the venting humorous from time to time. I only really post in the gdt at halftime now anyway and barely ever as I try avoiding the phone when watching the game with my son.

Id be happy to be admitted @Jethro.

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
From reading this thread it feels like what some people really want is a place where their opinions, or the manner in which they express them, are validated and don't get challenged by other people.

There is a term for this... it's called an echo chamber. It doesn't really sound like the description of a discussion forum, which is this site's raison d'être.

Why is this needed? Eventually this "dark mode" sub-forum is going to have opinions that get (or should be) challenged by other people... and then you're at square one again.

The '47ers

When Eagles are silent Parrots begin to chatter
Why is this needed? Eventually this "dark mode" sub-forum is going to have opinions that get (or should be) challenged by other people... and then you're at square one again.

Doesn't interest me at all, but each to their own of course. I'll enjoy the quiet of opening my emails and not having to delete attacks from in here!

Rocky

Bencher
Until this ...... I'd made the choice to lurk and no longer post. My decision was mainly because I see people like @Ryan (and others) being hassled by a few people on here just for what appear to me to be putting forward reasonable interpretations of our clubs decade of failure. The whole narrative by a few (I call them the gang of 5) on here that ST has become too negative and was turning people away was for my mind just bullshxt. This attitude has actually turned me off posting anything.

For me supporting a footy team is just an outlet and is about the highs and the lows. Many years ago I originally came to a place like this to share the highs and also vent on the lows. Just like I would if I was at the ground, in the pub or wherever. When people were / are being howled down and hassled by the gang of 5 about their perceived "negative" comments bringing everyone down ....... I just thought enough is enough. It actually does feel like there is a loose echo chamber of censorship happening.

Anyway, I'll put my head down again and just go back to lurking. I just wanted you to know that I was one of the people that had had recently reached out and had PM'd Ryan about this. I believe that there are others as well.

Yep, and for any smart arse comment I get. Thanks for the feedback I won't let the door hit me on the way out ........ right back at ya.

Please add me to the list of people who can access "dark / realistic mode"
hold on...There is a gang of 5 that speak to each other offline and manipulate the content?

Wowsers.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
hold on...There is a gang of 5 that speak to each other offline and manipulate the content?

Wowsers.
I think I’m supposed to be a part of that , but I rarely speak to anyone offline , and I’m not sure how I ( or we ) actually manipulate the content by doing so.

If 5 similar posters have been anointed, then the person announcing that has done the anointing.

I’m also not sure who the other 4 are , so maybe if anyone knows they can tell me.

As to being a “ gang “ I’m not sure about that either.

I find it highly amusing.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
15 12 3 113 28
14 10 4 118 24
15 10 5 77 24
15 9 6 161 20
15 8 7 64 20
14 8 6 60 20
15 7 7 28 19
15 7 8 21 18