GAME DAY - Manly v Cowboys [Round 19, 2015]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
quiz time!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 10.20.17 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 10.20.17 pm.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 40
18 Jul 2015Manly Daily
Willie reveals a secret

VETERAN FORWARD TELLS WHY SEA EAGLES ARE BACK IN THE FINALS RACE

VETERAN forward Willie

Manly Sea Eagles prop Willie Mason at Narrabeen on Thursday
has provided an insight into the unique culture at the Sea Eagles which has seen them fight their way back into finals contention.
“We just quietly get along with our job,” Mason said.
“We just train, we go home and come back and train.
“There is no little meetings once a week where you say ‘we are going to do this’ … there is none of that.
“It’s just get in, do your job and they have high standards here so they expect you to win.”

WHAT’S THE GOS?
AND big Willie also revealed there was nothing to reveal from the Sea Eagles locker room.
“There was no talk of player movements, there is no talk of Toovey, coaches, anything,” he said.
“I’ve got my ear to the ground and there is absolutely nothing.”
He has produced some big plays as he’s become more confident in a Manly jersey.
“It takes a while to get into the mould and figure out how other people play,” he said.

TOOVEY BACKS WILLIE
SEA Eagles coach Geoff
believes Mason has what it takes to run around again in 2016.
“He would be an asset to any club,” Toovey said.
“He is obviously getting on in age but he manages his training well and as long as he produces the form on the field I don’t see why he can’t”
He said Mason was a character and that is needed in rugby league.
“They seem to be disappearing out of the game so I think he’s a breath of fresh air,” Toovey said.

BOO WHO?
GOLD Coast Titans supporters started jeering Manly halfback
with gusto at CBus Stadium on Monday night.
But their boos dropped off as the game went on.
Apparently they forgot the words.

18 Jul 2015
Manly Daily
Peter Peters
JT will show why he is one of the greats

FANS ARE IN FOR A TREAT WHEN COWBOY RIDES ONTO BROOKIE

PENINSULA sports fans get the opportunity on Monday night to see a football genius in action at Brookvale Oval.
It’s not outlandish to suggest that North Queensland Cowboys skipper Johnathan Thurston is the greatest halfback to grace the grass at Brookvale in 69 years.
Thurston is now a member of the Magnificent Seven – the top halfbacks to have played the game in the televised era as voted by a panel of experts for the superb Men of League Foundation.
I have believed for some time now that the skinny number seven with the flashing smile and infectious laugh is the best halfback to have played the game in Australia.
For a long time now he has dominated games on a remarkably consistent level.
Few would argue he is the greatest player in the game ... and has been for some time.
He simply doesn’t have bad games.
If ever a player loved his job it is Thurston.
Because of his brilliance he is belted from pillar to post in most games but he simply gets up and continues to taunt the opposition with his skill and toughness.

The Magnificent Seven were chosen from a field of 14.
The final seven were Andrew Johns, Allan Langer, Steve Mortimer, Tom Raudonikis, Billy Smith, Peter Sterling and Thurston.
I have no problems with Johns, Langer, Mortimer and Thurston in the top seven.
For me the remaining three are fortunate to be included.
Raudonikis and Smith were tough scrappers but lacked the skill, speed and guile to be included in the cream of the crop halfbacks.

Sterling played in one of the game’s best ever backlines which included Brett Kenny, Steve Ella, Mick Cronin and Eric Grothe.
He is one of those players who gets better with the passing of time.
I would much prefer players who made the top 14 in Greg Alexander, Ricky Stuart and Stacey Jones to Raudonikis, Smith and Sterling, but that is the beauty of such a contest which brings strong, healthy debate and a mixture of opinions.

TOOVEY OVERLOOKED
STILL on the debate around the Magnificent Seven, where was Manly’s Geoff Toovey in the list of 14?
Surely Tooves was entitled to a start ahead of the likes of Queensland’s Barry Muir.
Muir was tough but has there been a tougher player than Toovey?
Muir played in an era when Queensland got lapped in every game and he was included as the token Queenslander in the Australian side.

Toovey excelled in premiership, Origin and internationals.
Other halfbacks unlucky not to get a look in we’re former Rooster Kevin Hastings and English international Tommy Bishop who was an amazing captain coach of the Cronulla Sharks.
And why no spot for amazing New Zealand Warriors halfback Shaun Johnston?
There are halfbacks in the 14 who wouldn’t lace Johnston’s boots up.
Indeed he could run around most of them twice before they worked out where he had gone.

INCREDIBLE MATCH-UP
SEE you at Brookie on Monday for a close-up look of Thurston up against Manly’s star number seven Daly Cherry-Evans.
It will be worth the price of admission – the Cowboys have only played six times at Brookvale so it is a rare opportunity to see the game’s best player on our home turf.
JT v DCE will be a compelling battle of the halves in a vital game for Geoff Toovey’s side!

18 Jul 2015
Manly Daily
Jon Geddes
Foran ready to leave Eagles as a winner

FIVE-EIGHTH SAYS HE STILL HAS JOB TO DO WITH CHERRY-EVANS BEFORE PARTNERSHIP ENDS

FIVE-EIGHTH Kieran Foran says he has unfinished business at the Sea Eagles as the reality starts to hit home that his final game with the club is approaching.

“I suppose it will be a pretty emotional time – I’ve started to think a little bit more about it now,” Foran said ahead of Monday night’s showdown with the Cowboys at Brookvale Oval.
“I’ve just got so many great mates here and had so many good times.
“I’m sure when it comes to the end of the year I’ll reflect and I’ll be happy with my memories over the years.”

But Foran has another more pressing focus, for the next eight weeks at least.
“I want to make sure I am enjoying every game from here on in,” he said.
“And it would be great if we could get as many wins as we can as a team and really make a charge for the finals.

“There is a lot of belief in this side, and experienced players and guys who have been around.
“We certainly don’t see it as out of reach at the moment.

“There are eight round games to go and we can probably afford to drop one or two.”
Foran’s departure to Parramatta for 2016 will bring to an end the combination with halfback Daly CherryEvans that started in the Manly under-20s and has become one of the most potent pairings in the NRL.

“It’s just been a pleasure playing alongside him,” Foran said.
“He works very hard and he also has a hell of a lot of natural talent.
“He’s just a competitor and someone you love taking the field with because you know he will come up with the right play at the right time, like all good No. 7s do.”

Cherry-Evans said being able to string games together had been good for their partnership and for the side.
“We’ve been the starting halves for this side for the last four or five years now so hopefully we can continue to stay out on the field and drive this side home into the finals,” Cherry-Evans said.

But he wouldn’t describe the “breakup” as sad.
“I think it will be good to sit down and have a beer with Kieran when it’s all said and done and look back on what we have achieved as a pairing,” he said.

I just love it that we were last a few weeks ago and now all the so called football experts are tipping us to beat the team coming second. Go Manly. I hope they are right.No other team has earned or deserves the respect like we do.

Last nights results mean this is the game that could change our entire season, if we win anything could happen, if we lose i think top 8 is out of the question. I need to see us play well against a top team for me to be confident again and beating the Cows will certainly do that.

Cold Monday night at the Fortress - the Townsville boys will be feeling a bit uncomfortable running out there.

I am quietly confident on this one especially if we repeat the effort when we played a month or so ago

Cold Monday night at the Fortress - the Townsville boys will be feeling a bit uncomfortable running out there.

I am quietly confident on this one especially if we repeat the effort when we played a month or so ago
Go the mighty Sea eagles !!!
10858565_146208419044168_6374477611640602028_n.jpg

I think this is going to be a firey affair. There is a bit of history here, and the boys are going to fire up for this one.

I see us winning by 8.

Manly 24 Cowboys 16
I'll take that score, I'd be happy to win by one, I'm sure the boys know what's at stake and now our forward pack have got their mojo back I think we can win this and keep the roll going. GO MANLY !!!

Is it ok to enjoy Monday nights? I have been a vehement critic of them for years, but last weekend and this weekend so far have been an absolute pleasure, not ruined by nerves, or having to have one eye on the time all the time. I'm not watching any other games, not watching footy shows, not listening to the radio. Just kicking back.

Aaaaaaah, how sweet - more Foran feel good articles. He's heading to an absolute mine field. Good riddance.

Foran wants to go out a winner as he knows he is no chance of winning a premiership in the next 4 years with the squeels.

Maybe he should have thought of that at the begining of the season

I put a tenner on for a perfect round this week now all I need is for Manly to romp home a win tonight to claim just over $250! The wife is showing no faith and pleading with me to cash out for $120 but I'm feeling confident and holding firm :) Go Manly!!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4