Fullback options...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

madmax

Bencher
Wonder why we haven’t looked at signing either Karmichael Hunt or Kevin Locke as a backup for Tom.......DEPTH for a season? Think they’d come pretty cheap? Both starred in Qld Cup over the weekend & both were good full backs when in the NRL. Locke was on a trial & train contract with us a few years ago!!! Still at a reasonable age & would be so fvcken handy right now!!! I know Hunt had some issues with illegal substances but that was a while ago......we don’t seem to wanna take a risk with Koula who is an out & out FB coz he’s ‘only 18’ so an experienced player as the 2 above would suffice???? Would give us added backline depth.

Too late now to be signing guys last minute for depth. The club should have had a back up plan for Turbo long before now given his injury history. If that back up plan is Walker then that's what we are stuck with

Anyway the signing of Lawton the other day took us to 30 for the squad I assume. So who are we cutting to make way for Locke or Hunt ??

Everyone here has a short memory.

Late last year, Tevita Funa did a more than adequate job at fullback and was improving each game.

During the off season, punters on this forum VOTED that Funa should be Tom's replacement at the beginning of the season. Votes went his way at over 30% of the total, with no one challenging to fit next best?

Now, when time is in need, after a failed 2 match trial of Walker,
why has he been forgotten?

Everyone here has a short memory.

Late last year, Tevita Funa did a more than adequate job at fullback and was improving each game.

During the off season, punters on this forum VOTED that Funa should be Tom's replacement at the beginning of the season. Votes went his way at over 30% of the total, with no one challenging to fit next best?

Now, when time is in need, after a failed 2 match trial of Walker,
why has he been forgotten?
I was surprised that he didn't start the year at FB - altho I will admit that I also thought Walker may work there...

I like Funa but he has to get the handling errors out of his game... he had one or two in every game of the last 5 rounds of 2021 (when he played FB) and had 4 in the game against the bunnies (wing)...

having said that, I would think that it has to be he or harper there going forward because DW is a centre and we are missing having his creativity in the centres...

I think its a great idea personally.. karmichael has plenty of experience and would be cheap. Would be good recruiting if we could nab him for this year and a clubs option for next year as well. In fact sign Locke and Kelly while we're at it. Locke would be better than Garrick on the wing. If not would be good for depth along with Hunt and kelly. Imagine getting all three for 300-400k.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, Elliott did a more than adequate job I thought too, but we didn't offer him a new deal..... without anyone better to cover fullback.
He didn't set the world on fire but he offered way more than what Walker has dished up the last two weeks, at least he could catch bombs and knew where to be.
To play Funa there at the back end of last year, use Harper in the trial and then go with Walker doesn't seem like the greatest of forward planning when the role of the fullback these days is more important than ever.

So we would sign one of these two to cover FB yet they don’t play fb for Souths (magpies) both imo are way past their use by date. Tge kid who actually played fb for Souths with them looked good though. I loosely follow Souths in the local comp up here and they are full of the Broncos fringe players. They had a very good backline Sunday
7 Albert kelly
6 Dearden
5 Oates
4 Hunt
2 Locke

only 2 non nrl players and both those guys were good too.

Looking back on it now you think how did we not just go harder at signing Core yAllan or AJ. Agree re Tge above on Elliot too. I rewatched them Kayo replay and Walker couldn’t clean up twice in the first half leading to try’s. The last one he didn’t put his body on the line and just kicked at the f$&@en ball. Elliot probably would have defused both those situations, held better positional play and not dropped bombs like Walker has both weeks. Walkers barely offered any attack to say that makes up for it either. Needs to be back at 3 this weekend.

Looking back on it now you think how did we not just go harder at signing Core yAllan or AJ. Agree re Tge above on Elliot too. I rewatched them Kayo replay and Walker couldn’t clean up twice in the first half leading to try’s. The last one he didn’t put his body on the line and just kicked at the f$&@en ball. Elliot probably would have defused both those situations, held better positional play and not dropped bombs like Walker has both weeks. Walkers barely offered any attack to say that makes up for it either. Needs to be back at 3 this weekend.
Would not have had much chance of signing AJ, but Allan would have been a great buy

Allen is a good player but wouldn't have been cheap, current Queensland fullback, and he played well in that series. Probably also wanted a club where he'd have first shot at fullback, so not Manly.

Funnily enough, Elliott did a more than adequate job I thought too, but we didn't offer him a new deal..... without anyone better to cover fullback.
He didn't set the world on fire but he offered way more than what Walker has dished up the last two weeks, at least he could catch bombs and knew where to be.
To play Funa there at the back end of last year, use Harper in the trial and then go with Walker doesn't seem like the greatest of forward planning when the role of the fullback these days is more important than ever.
Exactly. Dorothy has lost plot.
  • no recognised fullback
  • no recognised hooker
  • no Shuster cust or guac for the first game
  • picking serial plodders parker, croker, garrick, jet ski
  • unfit squad for the modern game
You would expect this crap from a novice coach. Not a seasoned campaigner.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8