Friction between Sea Eagles shareholder Quantum and The Penn Group reach boiling point

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
MANLY co-owner Quantum has raised the dukes in the face of a shock takeover bid from fellow shareholder The Penn Group, with the company's boss Phil Sidney declaring: "We're here for the long haul."

Read the full article

How does that clear things up? It actually proves the factionalism and the kpi rumour.

It quite clearly represents that some people weren't happy with the way Des did things.
How dumb do they think we are? How dumb are they? There is one key indicator for a coach. In 5 years Des has topped that kpi twice acrossthee whole league.

I hope Penn wins this one

Daniel said:
How does that clear things up? It actually proves the factionalism and the kpi rumour.

It quite clearly represents that some people weren't happy with the way Des did things.
How dumb do they think we are? How dumb are they? There is one key indicator for a coach. In 5 years Des has topped that kpi twice acrossthee whole league.

I hope Penn wins this one
That's how I read it dan it's obvious sections of the board had issues with des and that friction was the factor in him leaving.

Hey Sidney, how about you fix your own sinking business, and look after your shareholders, before you comment about a product that is actually doing well.

You, sir, have no idea. You "brought" in Perry to fix the business? Your business went back in sales by 50% (or circa $40,000,000) this year.

Wow, just wow. How large are your creditors Sydney? Where is that cash coming from?

Glad I'm no Quantum shareholder. Here's a tip...less monthly coffee's, more focus on getting your debtors to pay. Improve your cash position dude, and then you'll have some weight behind your words.

Did you and Max meet in a busted business retreat for CEO's or something?

Yes, let's model ourselves like every other NRL club and NOT win premeirships. Way to differentiate ourselves. If what Des is doing is working, then park the ego and get on with making hay in the sunshine Des is producing.

I agree, in priciple, that the Coach should coach and the Board should be responsible for finance and player recruitment/ contractual agreements.

In a business sense that does seem sound.

Quoting Choc's words, "Dessie is a control freak."
In no way should Des have total control over the Board's decisions or direction.....

but....

Two Premierships in four years and three GFs in five years does make Des look like he knows exactly what he's doing and what he's doing seems to be correct.

It may sound correct to come in line with the other NRL Clubs, our rivals, but perhaps Des is right. Perhaps our rivals need to come to terms with Dessie's way..... after all... he's got the runs on the board!

How ironic that Sidney is lecturing the club on management practice when the ASX website lays out the dreadful performance of his own entity, so bad in fact the ASX are writing letters that he has to answer to address concerns over liquidity.

Daniel said:

Completely undermines Vidmar's confident assertions that Hasler had full support bla bla bla in recent weeks too.

Yup this article basically confirms 80% of what was being said even though it was aimed at dispelling them.

This one is up there amongst the most moronic. I can't believe how badly they under estimate the intelligence of fans

lismore_fan said:
I agree, in priciple, that the Coach should coach and the Board should be responsible for finance and player recruitment/ contractual agreements.

In no way should Des have total control over the Board's decisions or direction.....

but....

Two Premierships in four years and three GFs in five years does make Des look like he knows exactly what he's doing and what he's doing seems to be correct.

It may sound correct to come in line with the other NRL Clubs, our rivals, but perhaps Des is right. Perhaps our rivals need to come to terms with Dessie's way..... after all... he's got the runs on the board!

I disagree. Would you rather Des / Crusher negotiating on a player, or Perry / Reilly?

That's the problem with structured business models ..the blinkers are on, the course has been set...and no matter what is happening on the peripheral landscape (Des winning premierships) it will continue along it's merry way until it sinks.
The only cause for concern in regards to Des, is those 'get out clauses'..did he help arrange those??They definitely need re-structuring.

Ryan said:
lismore_fan said:

but....

I disagree. Would you rather Des / Crusher negotiating on a player, or Perry / Reilly?
Next year Crusher, Toovey & the CEO

Ryan said:
lismore_fan said:

but....

Call me niave shouldn't crusher and Des broker the deal with players in regards to recruitment and retention and the CEO and lawyers do up the contract and sign off on it.

This is obviously been happening because lowie was the one who shed light in how the out clauses work. This would have to be status quo across the Nrl now as it's not like days gone by when CEO's like arko, Moore , Fitzgerald, stanton and Keith barnes had played the game and even coached. The current CEO needs to be more corperate savy so that require the football department to do the recruitment and retention.

"We never want to take over the role of coaching players or selecting players. But in most other clubs the CEO has a more hands-on role in recruiting players and overseeing contracts. That's not been the case at Manly."
I think Mr Sidney is off the mark slightly I think as I said earlier most CEO's would either be involved in the final sign off as the have to manage the cap etc or the coaches give them a list do the initial talks and leave the CEO to seal the deal. I think a rookie CEO like perry doesn't need the burden of being hands on in the recruiting process his skills would be better being utilized in doing what he has been brought to the club to do, make the joint profitable

I'm no Director or CEO but how about this: If Des' system of him having so much "control" seems to win Premierships why treat it as broken and try to fix it? Why not just get a CEO to work on memberships and sponsorships? You wont have to worry about a coach leaving or a recruitment officer leaving because ppl like success and are drawn to it. Playing football IS the business and who is the best person to be the CEO of that business? Someone who knows what it takes to play and win football like the games best coach of modern times.

manlyfan76 said:
I'm no Director or CEO but how about this: If Des' system of him having so much "control" seems to win Premierships why treat it as broken and try to fix it? Why not just get a CEO to work on memberships and sponsorships? You wont have to worry about a coach leaving or a recruitment officer leaving because ppl like success and are drawn to it. Playing football IS the business and who is the best person to be the CEO of that business? Someone who knows what it takes to play and win football like the games best coach of modern times.

Makes sense. Plenty of sense. The problem is Sydney, O'Reilly, Vidmar, Jonesey2 & co. couldn't/can't see that.

It's simple, ain't it really.

In most clubs CEO's have a role in recruitment of players and negotiating contacts. Most other teams haven't been as sucessful as we have been in recent years so obviously their models are wrong.

FFS leave that to the people who are qualified such as crusher and des/Toovey. Perry's role is surely getting the club and its finances in order.

Des and crusher have done a fantastic job over the last 8 years so why does Perry think it needs to change?

What a goose this Sidney is I don't care how other coaches and clubs are run we seemed to be going all right with Des running the show. This goose should concentrate on running his own business which only survives from sucking money from taxpayers through subsidies.

It defies belief that someone with a supposed business mind would want to bring a brand, that on the field, and that is what he's talking about, is better than any other team in the competition, back to the same playing field as the competition. Des obviously was doing a great job in running the fotball side of things, great junior development, great retention of players, great morale and a real bond between the players, and all that culminationing into 2 premierships in 4 years. Yet this ironstine thinks theres a problem there and we should follow other, unsuccessful models. Why? Why should we change something that's successful into following something that's unsuccessful? Every club is unique and has unique challenges, why try to manage every club the same way? Its quite obvious that this clown has no idea when it comes to business and needs to realise that theyre all different.

I am wondering where all the "de$$ie" folk are now

It is very similar to when in english football a manager does not have complete control (when there is a technical director etc)

The issue as i see it Des is accountable for the results - he would have been fired if we got the spoon - but can not have complete control?

Does not seem right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4