Foward pack better than 2014??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We need big units getting the defensive line going backwards, with the likes of Horo, Symonds, Buhrer tacking onto the back of that.

Can't complain about Choc's on field efforts last year but the team will be better off without a mal content leading the pack. Step in Big Willie.

Welcome @madmax

Great to have new contributors on here.

I think we will go ok next year, remember we only had Gifty for a few games this year so let's not count him in the comparison.

Blake Leary ( Intrust Super Cup player) may surprise you, I watched him in their GF this year , I know it's a step down but he was outstanding , great signing IMO.

Onwards and upwards in 2015

No-one is mentioning James Hasson and Tyson Andrews but I expect to see both playing more NRL for us this year. And while they may not strike fear into opponents just yet, they are no-nonsense types who should continue to improve.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
No-one is mentioning James Hasson and Tyson Andrews but I expect to see both playing more NRL for us this year. And while they may not strike fear into opponents just yet, they are no-nonsense types who should continue to improve.

They would both be at the back of the queue, right at the back.

I can't see the point of BJ into the back row, even if he plays a middle third role like Choc used to. We have backrow options coming out our wazoo, prop is where we are light on so can't see the sense in moving our most experienced prop (outside of Mason) from that spot to a position we have plenty of coverage in. If Vave and Turbo deliver the goods then yes let's consider it, but until we are sure we have 4 solid front rowers who can go the distance then we need Lawrence in the engine room.

My starting line up would be

Starling, Ballin, Lawrence, Lui, Symonds/Mateo, Ferris

Bench: Mason, Mateo/Symonds, JSL, Horo/Vave

Don't mind who starts out of Symonds and Mateo, they will play a similar type of role I would imagine, although Feleti will play closer around the ruck so he might be a better sub option for Lui off the bench. Ballin and Ferris will play 80 minutes you would imagine, but the beauty of Mateo is that he can cover that ball playing role of Buhrer/Gifty and that allows us flexibility with Ferris to 9 for Ballin if we need to change it up.

I know a lot of people will like to see Mason start, but I really think he will give us that lift we need off the bench when a little bit of the sting has gone out of the game. We will get more miles from him as well if we keep him on ice and away from that softening up period. His experience and enthusiasm coming into the game after 15 - 20 minutes will give us some good impact I feel. Leave BJ and Starlo to do what they did quite admirably all year I reckon. We got owned early in some games late in the season but there were a lot of other factors at play other than softness of jersey 8 and 10.

The last bench spot is an interesting one, Vave offers size over Horo so if he goes half decent in trials then maybe he gets first shot. Horo was a little disappointing this year for mine, just didn't seem to have the line bending/breaking going on that he had in 2013. We do need someone to pick up the slack in workload that Choc's departure will leave, that is most likely to fall to Lui or Horo I reckon, as the other backrow options are more fringe type forwards.

Anyway I don't think we are markedly worse off for next season than we were this year. Gifty hardly played and Mateo on his day is as good an option, Mason is as equally experienced and solid as Kingy, so that only leaves Choc's hole to be filled (Brad Arthur may be doing that as we speak ;) ). Big shoes to fill on the field but if the team dynamic and morale is better without him off the field than maybe we are a net win in that instance.

delz said:
Not too sure ! I think we are one prop shy of having a strong pack.

Injury concerns over Turbo senior (ankle) ,Vave (pectorial) & Bruher (knee) means we are extremely light-on in regards to forwards during the first few weeks of the comp.

I think we need to sign another big proven tough forward. Surely we have some money now that both Tetevano and Hopoate are no longer with us. The only problem is that there isn't much talent around.

Totally Agree. Add Lawrence and Andrews to that rehab list of yours both having surgery in the off season as well.

I am inclined to say one more experienced big prop before June 30 is a must, but two more 110-115kg NRL capable props is probably closer to what we really need.

Our NSW Cup side is also crying out for someone to give em some go forward and tackle the opposition props.

I think we have a stronger depth in our forwards for 2015.

We also seem to have more coverage for injuries. The injuries really hurt us in the back end of the season, which didn't help our halves.

Too many "ifs and buts" to get ahead of ourselves. Really to me looks like a pack that may lack any real consistency.

I may have missed something ( situation normal)... But did we get rid of Epalahame
Lauaki?

I think we are in a better position. Vave definitely adds something off the bench - 115kg and very direct. I see Starlo as a bench player too tbh, in the mould of a glen hall or mark Bryant... Mason and Lawrence to start. I'm sorry but I can't find a place for JSL and Symonds at the same time, and I think T-Red is more skilful and creative. So mason, Ballin, Lawrence up front, mateo and Buhrer the 2nd row...maybe Dunamis at 13? Worked well in a few games last year. Then vave, starling, symonds and maybe Horo on the bench. Certainly makes up for last seasons lack of size, anyway!

Frosteagle said:
I may have missed something ( situation normal)... But did we get rid of Epalahame
Lauaki?

I think we are in a better position. Vave definitely adds something off the bench - 115kg and very direct. I see Starlo as a bench player too tbh, in the mould of a glen hall or mark Bryant... Mason and Lawrence to start. I'm sorry but I can't find a place for JSL and Symonds at the same time, and I think T-Red is more skilful and creative. So mason, Ballin, Lawrence up front, mateo and Buhrer the 2nd row...maybe Dunamis at 13? Worked well in a few games last year. Then vave, starling, symonds and maybe Horo on the bench. Certainly makes up for last seasons lack of size, anyway!

Yep Toov's confirmed a few weeks back the elephant man is no longer at the club, I would say he wasn't offered a contract. He wanted to stay, can't imagine his asking price would be high given he didn't manage to crack first grade last year. Shame he started the year miles off the pace but thought he was infront of Andrews as the NSW Cup best prop by years end.

bob dylan said:
Too many "ifs and buts" to get ahead of ourselves. Really to me looks like a pack that may lack any real consistency.
Yes Bob D, Lets not get ahead of ourselves. We have to BUILD consistency, gradually, steadily. We have to have discipline in the forwards, - - the refs will be clamping down on whatever flavour of the month edict that Tod Greenslime puts out at the beginning of the season in the Smellygraph.

Then, we will peak at the right time: September and the long weekend. Lets NOT be competition leaders until the end.
Under the radar. Too old, too slow, too 'uncombined', suits me fine.
But Toovee must make better utilisation of the bench rotation if he is to compete with Robinson, Maguire.

We will miss Choc's go forward tremendously next year. I don't see our new pack being much better than this years. Happy and hoping to be proved wrong though.

I'm probably alone here, but what was the problem with this years pack? We came bloody close to another GF this year. Like it or not, Choc had a lot to do with that. I hate the fact he's gone, and the manner in which it all came to a head, but as a player, he will be very hard to replace.

Picking up a ball playing forward like Mateo is good. But a happy and fully firing grunt machine like Watmough is irreplaceable. However, that's all in the past now. Bring on 2015 and we'll see how we go!

I think if Vave is fit and he can bend the line with go forward, we could go with Starling/Ballin/Vave
Mateo/BJ/Ferris…..This means our starting pack has some size but also fitness and agility to scramble of we have to….we saw last year Starling run down wingers, we know how quick BJ is and Ferris in open space can score tries…..

We then position for some real aggression from the reserves
Mason/Lui/JSL and Horo/Symonds/Hassan/Turbo/Andrews and anyone else belt it out for the last spot…...

GraEddie said:
I think if Vave is fit and he can bend the line with go forward, we could go with Starling/Ballin/Vave
Mateo/BJ/Ferris…..This means our starting pack has some size but also fitness and agility to scramble of we have to….we saw last year Starling run down wingers, we know how quick BJ is and Ferris in open space can score tries…..

We then position for some real aggression from the reserves
Mason/Lui/JSL and Horo/Symonds/Hassan/Turbo/Andrews and anyone else belt it out for the last spot…...

Now that's got a real good look about it. Power, size, speed and ball playing ability. The bench also complements beautifully with even more backup. Lets hope Vave measures up.....gives us that flexibility to play BJ and Starling in the same pack. I mentioned before, BJ Lawrence will be a smash hit in the 2nd row.

We've lost 2 origin/test backrowers & picked up a couple of reject journeymen. I can't see how anyone can say we are better off. Our pack is mostly plodders & rejects i.e Mason,Lawrence, Starling, Symonds,Vave,Lui, Mateo, Horo , all played first grade at other clubs and were punted for being average. We'll struggle to get near the top 8.

Glenn Stewart was injured for basically 2 years. Watmough is a big loss in the meters gained area but will mean less errors. Mason and Mateo add size and experience to the forward pack and Siosaia Vave would be a decent replacement for king off the bench. I think the gains cancel out the loss of watmough but we will see.

We need more speed and mobility in our pack, so I think we should mix it up next year. Really put the NRL in a spin and change the game forever.

1. Willie Mason
2. Brenton Lawrence
3. Ferris
4. Mateo
5. Starling

6. Foz
7. DCE

8. Wolf
9. Ballin
10. Matai

11. Jamie Lyon
12. Jorge
13. Hiku

14. Vave
15. Horo
16. JSL
17. Symonds

mickqld said:
We've lost 2 origin/test backrowers & picked up a couple of reject journeymen. I can't see how anyone can say we are better off. Our pack is mostly plodders & rejects i.e Mason,Lawrence, Starling, Symonds,Vave,Lui, Mateo, Horo , all played first grade at other clubs and were punted for being average. We'll struggle to get near the top 8.

Counting isn't very strong up in QLD, we have lost 3 origin/test players

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7