Foward pack better than 2014??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Yes for me with the addition of 1 of the most skillful fowards in Mateo
The old tough head of Mason
The comeback of hopefully a fit Trjobovic who is a massive talent
Jesse, Starling & Dunamis will only be better in 2015
Young Hodges will add great impact & ruck speed off the bench

Keep in mind Gift was virtually a non event due to injury & has been for 2 years, best years gone though will add skill to a huge Souths pack if available

Choc - Still a massive fan of his ability & though he created a rift last year, noone can deny his gutsy efforts on 1 leg while he wore the Manly jersey....a huge loss...

Kingy - a fan of his loyal leadership & as a Seaeagles junior but tbh, theres others who will step up & at least match his imput imo

If the fowards can improve 5-10%, our backs will get us over the line foe another genuine premiership assault in 2015!!

Kevinward777 said:
Don't forget about Vave. I believe he will play a part.
Thats a fair call, have certainly transformed players with less ability into quality NRL players.... plus Buhrer will be back & be the most experienced Seaeagle backrower at the club - great player

I see a different pack and without a season ending injury early like last year better.

Lui and Starling will be better, choc is a loss, Mateo is different and may form a great combo with Hodges.

The depth is a bit better but if we end up with 5 or 6 injured at the pointy end we are doomed, as any team would be

Last seasons pack that lost by one point to the bulldogs who made the GF
lock: Lui
s/row :Horo and Symonds
prop: King and Lawrence
hooker : Hodges
Bench : LSF, Hasson ,Starling, Harrison
2015 season we will also have Buhrer , Ballin, Mason, Mateo , Vave and Trjobovic with the exception of Harrison and King who was past his best
Our 2015 pack is looking good :)

Fluffy said:
I see a different pack and without a season ending injury early like last year better.

Lui and Starling will be better, choc is a loss, Mateo is different and may form a great combo with Hodges.

The depth is a bit better but if we end up with 5 or 6 injured at the pointy end we are doomed, as any team would be
Choc will be a loss but he was also a pain in the ass with his media crap .

If all are fit and in form the forward pack will be:
Starling
Ballin
Lawrence
Mateo
Horo
Buhrer

Reserves
Mason
Lui
JSL
Symonds

The backs pick them self with maybe the exception of the wingers to choose from: Hiku, Taufua, Wolfman, Gutherson & Blair

It is all about metres gained. Our go forward really struggled in the last 3rd of this season and our average metres gained was well behind the grand finalists. This needs to change in 2015 so our brilliant backs have a decent platform.

The addition of Mason and Matteo will add to this. Our props need to lift in this area big time. I think we will do ok as long as the young fellas step up.

Does anyone really think that Hodges will get a regular spot if Ballin is fit ?? I can't see Toovey deviating from the one hooker tactic we've had since 2008. I'd like to see it but don't think it will happen

Definitely some stronger upfront grunt and better backrow ball playing in 2015. BJ Lawrence would be absolutely destructive from the 2nd row imo and will add more grunt to the pack. Wasted at prop and just a tad light on.

So for mine….

Starling
Ballin
Vave
Lawrence
Mateo
Buhrer

Reserves
Mason
Lui
JSL
Symonds

Backups
Turbo
Horo
Leary (great buy and I think will be a regular in the 2nd row)
Ligi
Baker (I like this kid. seen him play at Mounties….great potential under Toovey and Donny)

Chip and Chase said:
Does anyone really think that Hodges will get a regular spot if Ballin is fit ?? I can't see Toovey deviating from the one hooker tactic we've had since 2008. I'd like to see it but don't think it will happen

Much is the pity because I think it's a great tactic, bringing on a livelier dummy half for about 15-20 mins, Ballin gets a rest and comes back for the tougher stuff at the end.

Or if we are behind and need a spark he comes in with 20 to go, I'd do it in a heartbeat as the 17th Man is hardly used anyway.

Can't see why Taufua can't be a sub second rower.
I think he'll be devastating as a second rower, with speed and strength (like Beaver).
That'll solve the "too many wingers" and "high ball" issue.
...especially now that we've sacked two forwards before the start of 2015.

Chip and Chase said:

Yeah he's no chance. And no offence to the kid but until the point Ballin is no longer a 80 minute hooker, he shouldn't even be an afterthought.

Dunno about Horo starting. I think Lui or JSL should be getting more minutes...

Not too sure ! I think we are one prop shy of having a strong pack.

Injury concerns over Turbo senior (ankle) ,Vave (pectorial) & Bruher (knee) means we are extremely light-on in regards to forwards during the first few weeks of the comp.

I think we need to sign another big proven tough forward. Surely we have some money now that both Tetevano and Hopoate are no longer with us. The only problem is that there isn't much talent around.

I think the pack is looking better for 2015.

We needed to bolster our forward stocks with size; of those that will play regular first grade, we've added Mason, Vave, and Mateo. Starling, Lui, and JSL will be another year stronger, and Buhrer and Ballin will return from injury.

I am not one to underestimate the loss of Gifty and Choc; both were tough, rugged defenders, with one a great ballplayer, and the other a great worker. However, neither are the big body we need in the middle, and both have slowed down somewhat. We also need the cap space to let the next generation come through, and of course re-sign our halves.

I would like to see Hodges get 20 minutes a match. We have been pretty average in second halves for a few years now, and I think he could provide an attacking spark from 50-70th minute in games.

I'd like to see BJ play in the 2nd row as well. Although he has done some great stuff at prop i think starling/vave/mason should be fight it out for th starting front row positions and have Mateo/BJ and Buhrer as our back row. Rotation of Lui, JSL, Vave, Symonds….or any up and comer big boppers...

Even though we lost Gift and Choc, I still see this years pack being outdone by that of 2015.

Gift hardly played and Choc just rocked the boat all year.

Hopefully, the rules change and the interchange is cut so it's not so reliant on having a pack full of 120kg plus boppers. The game should be about footballing skills.

The pack will only be better if they punt HORO. Absolutely tlike tits on a bull, no impact, doesn't breakthe line, misses tackles, slow and no intimidation!!!

All things considered I believe we are...

Its a case of we have got maybe not what we wanted (I'm sure we would have all loved to see a superstar front rower come in, obviously salary being the reason we can't)... but more so a case of we have got what we needed.

All our signings haven't been high profile, and I'm glad about that. I'm happy to be written off as we are every year. We can quietly go about our business.
Mason brings the mongrel we have lacked in our pack for years, he actually enjoys doing the dirty work, and IMO our current forwards are almost too honest, with no mongrel in them that I reckon every team needs. Mateo is somewhat of an unknown quantity, but his quality is unquestionable when he performs. Going off Manly's form of turning these fringe players in to established first graders (or in mateos case re-established) and potential internationals, I anticipate that we will be getting the best out of him as well which is exciting. Add to that returning and new young faces that are hungry to build on their first year last year, or make a name for themselves in Vave, Starling, JSL and Lui and I think our pack has more go-forward with the right mix of aggression and skill to really compete. IMO I would take this years pack over last years.

Also - really looking forward to seeing Buhrer play now that it is clear he is going to be a first 13 player every week, and now that he is going to have the label of a pack leader. Love watching this guy play.

Hi All...........have been reading the forums for quite awhile & just wanted to add my bit. Have been a loyal supporter since 1975!!
Starting Pack: Vave, Ballin, Starling, Mateo, Lawrence, Buhrer
Reserves: Mason, Lui, Sene Lefao, Hodges / Symonds

Backs: Stewart, Taufua / Gutherson, Lyon, Matai, Blair / Williams, Foran, DCE

Hi All...........have been reading the forums for quite awhile & just wanted to add my bit. Have been a loyal supporter since 1975!!
Starting Pack: Vave, Ballin, Starling, Mateo, Lawrence, Buhrer
Reserves: Mason, Lui, Sene Lefao, Hodges / Symonds

Backs: Stewart, Taufua / Gutherson, Lyon, Matai, Blair / Williams, Foran, DCE

Symonds, Buhrer and Mateo.

We missed Buhrer, Symonds really lifted and stood up.

Make or break year for Mateo but we have Dunamis too.

Fingers crossed for an injury free year..

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4