Forwards

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
All this talk about completion rates and poor centres and edge defence etc, is all symptomatic of one bigger problem. We don’t win the middle. We barely have all year. We’ve got enough attacking weapons to beat ordinary sides but even those teams we flogged (e.g. Sharks and Tigers) seemed to be able to get good field position off us on a regular basis.

Our completions are poor because we go sideways and panic because we can’t get momentum in the middle. We then kick from our side of half way constantly and give the opposition a chance to apply pressure from 40-30m out consistently and the bounce of ball eventually leads to pressure and points...as it did tonight.

The tide will not turn at Manly until something is done about our pack.
Aloiai - hot and cold ticking time bomb
Taupau - hot and cold and getting slower and older
Keppie - was never gonna back up after last week because he hasn’t done it once in his career...consistently good one week, consistently missing the next...lacks leg speed.
Paseka - not too bad I guess.
Jake t - great defender, no threat with the ball, too slow in a game that’s sped up.
Sipley - too slow and cumbersome

No bruising forward leader to show the rest the way. As much as I think AFB was a thug, he is the missing ingredient. Also, Cook was good at getting his forwards over the ad line...Croker not so good. Maybe all this talk of Fainu being essential is not far off the mark.

We need to do something about this pack to improve on this season.

We could certainly do with a Cheese / Murray clone. I agree we lack a bit of punch, but it’s also defensive steel.

Slightly off topic, but he is part of our pack and we haven’t got much from him lately, the major thing I am hoping for over the off-season is that Schu loses 10kg. I fear that he may be one of those guys that never reaches his full potential because of his weight.

Bit harsh on Keppie only played 5 minutes
He has done this his entire career...he has a big game and then something happens the following week. He smashed the Eels and came out against the Knights and gave away dumb penalties and cost us the game.

Tonight he tried a miracle offload and then got his head in the wrong position, knocked himself out and ****ed the forward rotation up. He is a good kid and all but geez he is hot and cold.

All this talk about completion rates and poor centres and edge defence etc, is all symptomatic of one bigger problem. We don’t win the middle. We barely have all year. We’ve got enough attacking weapons to beat ordinary sides but even those teams we flogged (e.g. Sharks and Tigers) seemed to be able to get good field position off us on a regular basis.

Our completions are poor because we go sideways and panic because we can’t get momentum in the middle. We then kick from our side of half way constantly and give the opposition a chance to apply pressure from 40-30m out consistently and the bounce of ball eventually leads to pressure and points...as it did tonight.

Keppie - was never gonna back up after last week because he hasn’t done it once in his career...consistently good one week, consistently missing the next...lacks leg speed.
Jake t - great defender, no threat with the ball, too slow in a game that’s sped up.

No bruising forward leader to show the rest the way. As much as I think AFB was a thug, he is the missing ingredient. Also, Cook was good at getting his forwards over the ad line...Croker not so good. Maybe all this talk of Fainu being essential is not far off the mark.

Spot on aside from keppie not backing up. He only lasted 5 mins due to HIA and looked the goods whilst on.

With that lack of possession rate, the forwards were completely gassed. Losing Keppie after 5 minutes was tragic. I thought Marty really busted a gut to make a difference. But in the end, it all came back to lack of possession. Melbourne or Penrith will flog the vermin in the GF.

We could certainly do with a Cheese / Murray clone. I agree we lack a bit of punch, but it’s also defensive steel.

Slightly off topic, but he is part of our pack and we haven’t got much from him lately, the major thing I am hoping for over the off-season is that Schu loses 10kg. I fear that he may be one of those guys that never reaches his full potential because of his weight.
Josh is so hot and cold. I understand he’s raw and his ceiling is high.. but **** he’s frustrating.

Spot on aside from keppie not backing up. He only lasted 5 mins due to HIA and looked the goods whilst on.
He knocked himself out...I’m not saying it’s entirely his fault but I had a feeling before the game that he would struggle to play off last week’s glory because he has made of habit of these hot and cold performances. His offload started the rot.

Agreed
Go forward is crucial in semi finals
A good off season and some improvements in the team roster and we will easily match the top sides next season

Spencer Leinu from the Panthers is someone we need to target. He’s reportedly on the outer and wants 300k but surely for 250k we could offer him a consistent place in a quality team. He has the ability to bend the line and generate ruck speed which is huge for us.

Such an honest summary Snake
I certainly like the fact you touched on Fainu
Will add so much strike through the middle and open up both edges
I feel Bullemore will add more thrust than many think , but is there enough toughness....after tonight way off
Also in defence it's a fuc##g final and both Melbourne snd Douths played accordingly....we seemed to release yhe attacking player like a fish out of water...and they cashed in

Spencer Leinu from the Panthers is someone we need to target. He’s reportedly on the outer and wants 300k but surely for 250k we could offer him a consistent place in a quality team. He has the ability to bend the line and generate ruck speed which is huge for us.
Yeah and he is angry. He’d be great. We don’t need another plodder like Woods. I know Taupau was almost gone to the Eels and I think we need to try and free up that 850k because he is not worth that anymore.

I think with the emergence of Walker in the middle the big men’s game time got reducled.

Tent and Keppie will get better, it will be up to Des on what the balance looks like with getting that punch in the middle.

Jake to prop for me and Walker to start, Keppie and Tent would be my starting props, then Jake and Marty on.

That forward pack weren't looking too bad last week against the Roosters.

Spent too much energy tackling tonight to have much left in the tank for making ground with the ball. Losing Keppie early screwed the whole rotation. Looking forward to seeing what Bullemore adds and I'm even hoping Davey plays middle next year as I think he might add something. Marty is on the wane for sure.

Yeah and he is angry. He’d be great. We don’t need another plodder like Woods. I know Taupau was almost gone to the Eels and I think we need to try and free up that 850k because he is not worth that anymore.
Yeah $850k is ridiculous for Marty. I’m not sure what he is worth but it’s significantly less than that.

It's been this way at Manly under Dessies coaching in terms of go forward, even in the successful years. Des doesn't drill out ineffectiveness or coaches out bad habits in this area of the game and works around the issue.

Dessie has plenty of good coaching attributes but in this area Manly have always been behind the game.

We need to find the balance with a little more sharp direct mobility and fitness so they can continously push up with lead go forward runners play after play flat at the line.

I love Jake but he is nothing on Cameron Murray, both tackle everything that moves, both important link men, but Jake is no threat running, Doesn’t get a quick play the ball, doesn’t offload, doesn’t win the ruck.

Murray and Radley are the prototype and Jake is way overpaid compared to those two

Tapau can look great, but I’ve never seen him have an outstanding game against a great pack

Aloai/keppie/Sipley all seem like interchangeable average first graders to me and not much more

Spencer Leinu would be a great buy and money much better spent than on woods

Last edited:
We just made to many mistakes ,our middle was gassed from all the defence which made room for South's on the edges, Fainu will help Croker is a solid defensive hooker but Fainu can break games open

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4