First Manly game you went to ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
1984 /1985 V Norths at NSO.

I distinctly recall swinging face down on the playing field with both ankles stuck on the spectator side of the picket fence. My old man encouraged me to race for the cardboard corner post after the final whistle at the South West corner, and I somehow managed to get completely stuck as I tried to jump over.

Fun times.

I also distinctly remember the Kiwi Mark Graham seemed like a man mountain up close to 6 or 7 year old me. Damn tough bugger too.

First one wasn’t until June 1974, a loss to Cronulla at Brookvale - I think it was the first one ever against them.

Wasn’t my first match though, that was the Australia vs the Rest game at Brookvale on a Friday night in February the same year.

I kept attending games we lost during the 1970s, until I beat the jinx against Newtown at Brookvale in 1979. I thought, ‘surely we can beat Newtown?’ And they did, 15-9, breaking my hex on the Sea Eagles.
I know what you mean about a hex. In the early 60's I took my GF, who later became the wife to several games and we never won one. Obviously after that she got the 'don't come with me' but due to circumstance beyond my control this did not last forever.

In 1983 my godfather (a diehard bears fan) took 2 year old me to Brookvale, to see Manly v Nth Syd in an attempt to indoctrinate me as a Bears fan. We sat on the hill and despite his efforts to teach me how to say "go bears", I was swayed by the Manly fans around us to cheer for the Eagles as they went on to win 54-16. I have no memory of this day but it has been recounted to me through delicious salty bear tears many times.

In 1983 my godfather (a diehard bears fan) took 2 year old me to Brookvale, to see Manly v Nth Syd in an attempt to indoctrinate me as a Bears fan. We sat on the hill and despite his efforts to teach me how to say "go bears", I was swayed by the Manly fans around us to cheer for the Eagles as they went on to win 54-16. I have no memory of this day but it has been recounted to me through delicious salty bear tears many times.

The best tears are Bears tears.

Only 2 more years for the Century wait between drinks....not that Im counting though.

Pretty sure it was early in 1977 Manly vs Wests at Lidcombe. I remember early in the arvo slapping Max Krilich on the back as he was heading into the grand stand, wearing a Hawaiian shirt. Johnny Gibbs had a big game against Raudonikis who a year earlier was the phantom biter. Late in the game I was leaning over the fence near the Manly reserves bench. Must have been 10 players there. Elwyn Walters sees I have Big League & asks if he can look at. He pointed out to the other Manly reggies their names. Next thing you know he tosses the Big League back to me as he runs out to replace Krilich. No big brawls that day, they started the next year I think.

Can't remember first visit to Brookie. I know I went to Rd 1 in 1978 when there were over 23K to watch Manly flog the Dragons. Jerseys for both teams were white and there was no problem.

john-jansenrl-at-brookvale-oval-manly-v-st-george-march-26-1978-picture-id1079211438

rod-mcgregor-rl-at-brookvale-oval-manly-v-st-george-march-26-1978-picture-id1081459904

Last edited:
August 24, 1975. Manly vs Souths 54-0 win. Dad had promised for weeks we would go, but a couple of days prior my elder brother's appendix burst putting the whole thing in jeopardy. Thankfully I whinged and carried on enough he still decided to go. Two tries from Bozo right in front of where I was sitting. For some reason however my biggest memory was the fuzzy grey hair of Eric Simms.

August 24, 1975. Manly vs Souths 54-0 win. Dad had promised for weeks we would go, but a couple of days prior my elder brother's appendix burst putting the whole thing in jeopardy. Thankfully I whinged and carried on enough he still decided to go. Two tries from Bozo right in front of where I was sitting. For some reason however my biggest memory was the fuzzy grey hair of Eric Simms.

Brilliant! I remember the match report in the Telegraph or Mirror. It had a best player section for each game. The reporter puts: The whole Manly team and Gary Stevens.

81 or 82 Manly v Saints at Brookvale. Manly won (12-4?) and most what i remember from the game was Dad talking about wombat all game.

Oh and a story Dad told about someone who would only eat beetroot and mayonnaise sandwich on game days.

In the early 70s on the hill where the Fulton Menzies stand is now. I don’t know who we played or what the score was. I was a child maybe preschool? The one memory i have is my parents being upset about something Alan Thompson did in the in goal area in front of us. Possibly a knock on or getting caught in goal. I remember it was Thompson because I asked my parents the name of the player they got mad at.

My first was Manly vs Easts SCG June 1975. Sat in the old Brewongle Stand with my Roosters supporting older sister (she was a Russell Fairfax fan). I think the Roosters won 11-10 or something similar. I think to win the game Fairfax and John Brass both kicked field goals with one of them being kicked from before halfway (IIRC). Ray Branighan scored in the corner on the bell but was ruled a no-try. My other strong memory was Mal Reilly laying on the ground clutching his knee. But he always did that, the poor guy.
I was there in the Sheridan stand right above where Brannigan went over. It was a fair try. We were robbed. My first game however was 1974 Brookie think it was against Tigers or Berries. Can't remember result or what round it was.

Pretty sure mine were 2 games at Brookie late in 1971, Wests then the following week Newtown. Main memories are Graham Eadie starring in a curtain raiser (under 23's?), everyone on the hill already talking about how outstanding he would be; Mal Reilly getting a big cheer when he got in an altercation early in the game; and Bozo who just looked a class above. As a kid on the hill, the hill actually seemed a bit scary, and the game was definitely scary back then. You'll notice in old photos from that era the players always wore deadly serious expressions, no grinning or joking around back then!

Haha good thread! I grew up in NZ following the side from the Ridge convert days. Moved to Bris in 1999. My first game would have been in 2003 after the NE debacle. remember it clearly I think it was Luke Dorn to Aaron Cannings for a late win with a weird turn around pass!

Pretty sure it was early in 1977 Manly vs Wests at Lidcombe. I remember early in the arvo slapping Max Krilich on the back as he was heading into the grand stand, wearing a Hawaiian shirt. Johnny Gibbs had a big game against Raudonikis who a year earlier was the phantom biter. Late in the game I was leaning over the fence near the Manly reserves bench. Must have been 10 players there. Elwyn Walters sees I have Big League & asks if he can look at. He pointed out to the other Manly reggies their names. Next thing you know he tosses the Big League back to me as he runs out to replace Krilich. No big brawls that day, they started the next year I think.

Can't remember first visit to Brookie. I know I went to Rd 1 in 1978 when there were over 23K to watch Manly flog the Dragons. Jerseys for both teams were white and there was no problem.

john-jansenrl-at-brookvale-oval-manly-v-st-george-march-26-1978-picture-id1079211438

rod-mcgregor-rl-at-brookvale-oval-manly-v-st-george-march-26-1978-picture-id1081459904

Jeez that top photo could be Michael Whitney and the bottom one Lance Thompson!

Mates older brother lived in Sydney and he got tickets for him, me and my mate to Parra stadium iin 1990 (maybe 91) to watch Manly v Parra... they were both Parra supporters (my mate was actually a parra and magpies fan)... was the night Frank Stokes got the ball in the in-goal and went the length down the touchline... pretty sure frankie scored a couple that night...

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6