Favourite player that never played for us.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Les Johns. The Canterbury fullback. Small, fast and a great tackler.
He also was a handy cricketer, playing first grade for Petersham alongside Graeme Hughes. Johns was a stubborn left hand opening batsman.
I played against both men several times. Both were tough competitors but good blokes off the field.

I did used to love watch Joey Johns play (not against us) also Freddy Fittler - just great players who could really dominate a game

Sorry boys I know most of you hate him, Billy Slater. It's my Qlder coming out. But hey I go for Manly so I'm use to people hating me. Also Steven Price of course, cause we went to school and played footy together.

Larry Corowa!!!!!!!!!!! Ziggy Niszczott & Bill Ashurst....oh and TV Ted Ellery
Allan Mc Mahon

My cousin was the half back Robbie Pilon from Dubbo, Grandparents lived at Leichhardt, so he stayed at their place on game night.

Had a soft spot for the Tigers, as I was force fed them at an early age.
another fav was Len Killeen. I could say his name before I could talk.....the I discovered the great marsupial The BAT

Last edited:
Simon Mannering or Shaun Johnson, although to be honest I hate (I know strong word) everyone who doesn't play for manly.

For a while we lived in a house overlooking Pringles place at Cromer, remember catching his eye one day and he wasn't smiling at me so much ! I remember seeing Wombat behind the counter at the Cromer corner shop as well. Saw that shop recently , it's a 70's time warp !
He was sitting in the passenger seat of a car one Saturday at the GB Parcel P-U back in '77. He had his war face on display on that occasion too.

Around the same time, just before starting our Thursday night stint, three of us were in the old record bar on the 1st floor (I was umming and aaghing about buying ELO's Out of the Blue album - I think it cost a hefty $10.99 or so), when this big hairy bloke in stubbies and a cigarette in hand walked in.

In complete shock and awe I blurted out '****ing Graham Eadie!' He just gave me a sideways glance and a 'Shut up kid' kind of expression.

The good old days.

Last edited:
I remember as a Bears fan (at the time), I was sitting on the hill at Brooky Oval, and Manly were beating The Illawarra Steelers the whole game (think I was there because I was trying to hook up with some young lady) - so maybe 25 odd years ago?

Rod Wishart got the ball after the siren, ran from the northern end, to the southern end on the right wing to steal the game for them after the siren.

The crowd went quiet as a mouse, and back then, it was standing room only (maybe 20k odd people).

To break the silence, I stood up and cheered as a joke. This big scary looking bloke stood up behind me in his Pepsi Sea Eagles jersey, rolled up his Big League magazine, and donked me on tbe head with it, saying, "shaddup will ya!!".

The hill erupted in laughter. Even though Manly lost, guess they went away with a smile.on their faces. It was all in good fun.

I cried as Snoz never got the fairytale GF @:cry:

And always hated Wishhart after that game :mad:

Agree that you cannot have a "favorite player" if they have not played for Manly. However if they have done something so dunderheaded, so utterly incompetent that they have actually assisted my club win, then they to some extent could become my favorite player outside of Manly. To this end, I nominate Neville Glover for his role in our 1976 premiership win and David Peachey for services beyond the call of duty in that 1996 semi final.
There must be others who fall into this category ?

Agree that you cannot have a "favorite player" if they have not played for Manly. However if they have done something so dunderheaded, so utterly incompetent that they have actually assisted my club win, then they to some extent could become my favorite player outside of Manly. To this end, I nominate Neville Glover for his role in our 1976 premiership win and David Peachey for services beyond the call of duty in that 1996 semi final.
There must be others who fall into this category ?
sCam :sick: for getting suspended for the 2008 GF :giggle:

sCam :sick: for getting suspended for the 2008 GF :giggle:
I really wish he was on the field to endure the battering as the second best qld dummy half on the field that day and to be humiliated like the rest of them.
They could have had eight of him out there that day.
I'll never forget the whinging about booing the bejeezus out of him.
Boy did I play my part in that !!

Last edited:
Rueben Wiki is one non manly player I admired also Petro .. and, your gonna hate me now ... Corey Parker

He was sitting in the passenger seat of a car one Saturday at the GB Parcel P-U back in '77. He had his war face on display on that occasion too.

Around the same time, just before starting our Thursday night stint, three of us were in the old record bar on the 1st floor (I was umming and aaghing about buying ELO's Out of the Blue album - I think it cost a hefty $10.99 or so), when this big hairy bloke in stubbies and a cigarette in hand walked in.

In complete shock and awe I blurted out '****ing Graham Eadie!' He just gave me a sideways glance and a 'Shut up kid' kind of expression.

The good old days.
The good old days indeed! Wombat and my dad used to work together down in South Creek Road together at some warehouse (Ansett maybe?). I remember Wombat turning up to many of my school cricket matches at Beacon Hill Public earning me immense respect from my open- mouthed school mates! And playing footy under the scoreboard at Brookie Oval with his kids Todd and Brooke. Great times they were!

I guess he's trotted out as a bit of a laughing stock these days at SOO time, but I liked watching Raudonikis when he was playing for Wests. Super competitive, was fabulous at driving a team of players to play better than most people thought possible. Not the most talented half of all time by a long shot, but he made the most of what he had, and usually got the best out of his team mates too. A right proper little b@stard, my kind of player.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4