Favourite moments at Brooky

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So many wonderful memories of victoriesand emotional losses from the mid 70's for me.

Great place Brookie - the emotions of the Manly Supporters are all that's holding the old place together :heart:

May we continue to enjoy many more years on the Peninsular!
We need to somehow rezone Brookvale to western Sydney and get some overdue funding:idea:

The supporters reaction to Brett in 2009 scoring 3 tries in his return match was magic but I can remember in the early 70s Manly was on top of the table and Ken Irvine was very near the top try scorer, so when Bob Fulton crossed the tryline in a game they were winning, he passed the ball to Ken who went on to be the years top try scorer.The crowd loved it.

True story, a mate and I used to go down as school kids in the 70' and watch the game, it only cost something like $3 if you had your school bus pass, my mate Jake forgot his pass and they weren't going to let him in. Well the the day before he'd gotten four of the best from an evil little prick of a teacher nicknamed "super Jack', when the bloke at the gate refused to let him in, he showed him his hands with four perfect black welts across his palms. The guy at the gate was so impressed he let us both in for free and we had a great afternoon watching Manly smash Wests, with extra money in our pockets to pig out at the canteen.

Maybe not very significant in terms of a specific game, but for me it epitomised growing up as a manly supporter in my youth.

Sitting in the corner underneath the grandstand in the 80's.
Full time siren goes and thousands of kids bolt for the corner posts.
I get there - yeah happy days - it ends up in four bits but i didn't give a rats. I had a piece of the corner post. :D

Sitting on the seats at the family area with my Dad when I was a kid and him telling me about the first time he came to watch a League game after he moved here from England and immediately fell in love with it, plus telling me all of the other stories of taking my older brother there.

For me going to Brookie and in fact following Manly is a "Dad and I" thing. None of my other brothers were that interested in Rugby League or Manly, or sport really. But I had always loved watching league and it just became something my father and I did together. We used to go all around Sydney watching games and especially to Brookie.

After I moved out of home Dad and I used to meet up at the football to catch up, have a beer and enjoy the game.

It's also hard to go past some of the early Silvertails days when we used to get a good deal of the members together for a catch up and go an watch all the grades.

Oh and the Mullane Stand :)

Good times

manlyfan. said:
True story, a mate and I used to go down as school kids in the 70' and watch the game, it only cost something like $3 if you had your school bus pass, my mate Jake forgot his pass and they weren't going to let him in. Well the the day before he'd gotten four of the best from an evil little prick of a teacher nicknamed "super Jack', when the bloke at the gate refused to let him in, he showed him his hands with four perfect black welts across his palms. The guy at the gate was so impressed he let us both in for free and we had a great afternoon watching Manly smash Wests, with extra money in our pockets to pig out at the canteen.

Maybe not very significant in terms of a specific game, but for me it epitomised growing up as a manly supporter in my youth.
I remember super Jack, maths teacher at Narrabeen high. He was a Souths supporter from memory.

Moondog said:
manlyfan. said:

I remember super Jack, maths teacher at Narrabeen high. He was a Souths supporter from memory.

Pleased to talk with and old Narrabeen boy (nice school..lol) I never thought I'd find someone on here who remembers Jack Casey.
Hope you weren't one of his victims moondog ?

I'm not on the northern beaches any more but hopefully we can catch up at the footie one day and have a few beers...cheers

Still my favourite moment is after a win, under lights with Neil Diamond, seeing hundreds of tiny kids running around on the ground. Just a magic scene.

Live would be long, long ago as a youngster watching a Phil Blake hat trick against the Sharks including the spectacular chip & chase & some brilliant offloads including a sensation from Les Boyd to a flying Blake.
On the telly & more recently loved the last gasp Snake try juggling the ball away from Benji off a delightful Ox chip in the dying stages to knock over the Tigers who were looking almost smug.....:)

manlyfan. said:
Moondog said:
manlyfan. said:

Pleased to talk with and old Narrabeen boy (nice school..lol) I never thought I'd find someone on here who remembers Jack Casey.

I'm not on the northern beaches any more but hopefully we can catch up at the footie one day and have a few beers...cheers

I remember Jack Casey, he was a lean well built cranky bloke. He told me that he had been given all of his weight lifting stuff from mates that had given up. He was always dressed impeccably and didn't hesitate with the cane.

I was one of his victims on a regular basis

The Who said:
I remember the match with Balmain with a huge crowd and Blocker Roach patted the ref on the head after being sent off. The crowd went nuts.
But in recent times it was the match with Melbourne last season. That was special, and I hope the atmosphere can be replicated this year.

That game vs balmain (1990) was the first match I ever went to. I remember oconner got taken out by pearce after putting a kick in and cliffy took the magic sponge off the trainer and cleaned the mud off Michael's face........whole crowd laughed their ass off.

manlyfan. said:
Moondog said:
manlyfan. said:

That would be good Manlyfan, I don't mind a beer . Not on the Northern Beaches anymore either but I still get down now and again to see the relations and get down to Brookie. As for Jack I can safely say I was'nt a favourite of his lol. Ralphie, I remember he was pretty fit, think he used to work out on the parrallel bars too.

I am a bit long in the tooth. At the scoreboard end Manly about 15 yards from their own line. Ball gets passed to Phil Lowe on the burst, nobody between him and the try line except Eric Simms. Suffice to say he was little more than a speed bump and Phil Lowe ran all the way to score. Any of the early pommy imports impressed heaps, who can forget Mal Reilly's finesse and toughness...I could go on. Suffice to say I am a huge Brookie fan and drive down from Taree 3 or 4 times a year, getting gouged by the Travelodge just for the privilege of watching Manly there.

I was a small kid, quite an extremely vertically challenged munchkin and I celebrated an epic Manly home ground victory by surprisingly beating all the all the boys to grab the southern end left corner post.
After being completely overpowered by the big kids I ended up with about a 5cm square of cardboard but to me it was a piece of Brookie gold.

This will be like one of those Penthouse Forum stories where every goes "yeah right, like that happened". But I kid you not, back in the late 90's I bought a pie at a game at Brookie and it was hot. Unbelievable. Unfortunately the beer wasn't cold.

I bought a pie once from brookie and it was hot. I will never forget that memory. Also great knowing guys on the gate who used to let you in for free.

Another great memory was in the eighties against the dragons and seeing skull on the hill giving nazi salutes to everyone.

Chip and Chase said:
This will be like one of those Penthouse Forum stories where every goes "yeah right, like that happened". But I kid you not, back in the late 90's I bought a pie at a game at Brookie and it was hot. Unbelievable. Unfortunately the beer wasn't cold.
You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension— a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

kingyfan said:
Another great memory was in the eighties against the dragons and seeing skull on the hill giving nazi salutes to everyone.

LOL..... The Skull. What a piece of work that guy was.

Another old fart here
some of my favourite memories at Brooky are 1980 - Rick Chisolm on Fire against Cronulla and scoring all of our points

sitting with 27000 other people in 1986 and watching Manly play Parramatta WOW!!!! what an atmosphere

watching 2V making his debut against the Brits in 1988, the pommys kept running at him......but he kept turning them back

the real battles of Brookvale - Manly vs Wests

Being able to go to Brooky twice a week after dinner and watch the team train

a nice sunny Saturday Arvo or Sunday Arvo, standing on the hill and watching Under 23s, Reserves and First Grade Kick off at 3pm

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6