Faith in Walker

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm nervous when Walker is on the field. Arm-grabbing defence, bad passes, poor kick choices in every position he tries to play. He could be VERY costly in a big game.
I think Walker is a big game player. Has had some great moments against the likes of the Storm, Rooster, Rabbitohs over the years. He adds another dimension to our attack when on and generally widens it - acting as a mid-field link man that sends quick wide passes side to side. This faster movement side to side (vs Jake) could prove key to breaking up the defence of teams like the Storm and Panthers, giving time and space for Olakautau, Trbo, Saab and the likes.

He's still a work in progress but his defence (bar that tigers game, who play quite unpredictably and our forwards were slacking off in D) has been good enough I reckon, especially on the try line. Kicking isn't good but he could be used for short grubbers and is generally one of our better kick chasers.

I think we have to persist with him, it has the potential to break up the better teams in big games, even if just off the bench for a short period.

I think Walker is a big game player. Has had some great moments against the likes of the Storm, Rooster, Rabbitohs over the years. He adds another dimension to our attack when on and generally widens it - acting as a mid-field link man that sends quick wide passes side to side. This faster movement side to side (vs Jake) could prove key to breaking up the defence of teams like the Storm and Panthers, giving time and space for Olakautau, Trbo, Saab and the likes.

He's still a work in progress but his defence (bar that tigers game, who play quite unpredictably and our forwards were slacking off in D) has been good enough I reckon, especially on the try line. Kicking isn't good but he could be used for short grubbers and is generally one of our better kick chasers.

I think we have to persist with him, it has the potential to break up the better teams in big games, even if just off the bench for a short period.
It's a shame there is no 2nd grade because 80 mins a week for say 3 weeks would have been good for him.

Can the so called walker haters ask the walker fanboys to give it a break also. I thought this forum was an open debate, not restricted by individual opinions

Can the so called walker haters ask the walker fanboys to give it a break also. I thought this forum was an open debate, not restricted by individual opinions
I am certainly not a fanboy of Walker by any stretch. The only player I might give a bit of latitude to is Jake - purely because he is all heart and soul and a brutal defender and I love that style of player. Hopefully most on here know I call it as I sees it. I try to analyse the game not from any predetermined thoughts but based on what I see and I suppose the small amount of knowledge I have from playing for 37 years plus a couple of stints coaching. I also hope most on here will also acknowledge that I am quick to admit error in my views.... ie my calls to move on Garrick, Parker, Croker etc after 4 games. There are any number of times my view on here has been ill conceived which I freely admit. Now am I up on all the vagueries of the modern game - probably not. I probably prefer the bash them style of the 80's so some of the nuances of the current game might elude me. But Walker like every player besides maybe Jake lol will get a bake from me when he deserves it. Is he defensively perfect - no way. I am hoping his defense might pick up with more games under his belt. Can he make mistakes in attack and take wrong options - absolutely. But despite what others on here say he is a high high quality player. Yes he is a bit of rocks and diamonds - when things go well - he is fabulous - when things go bad he is ordinary. But his high quality days are far far in advance of what the majority of players would be happy with as a good game. He just has the x factor. If we are going to win us a Premiership this year and if we are to beat the Storm and Panthers we just can't play conservative and go set for set with no willingness to chance our arm. We just simply must try and pull them apart with attacking brilliance. The Storm and to a lesser degree the Panthers can play tough safe football all day every day. We are going to need that x factor. Lawnton is a super player and will be great against the Eels and Rabbits etc but he wont put on a play to pull something out of the fire when we need it. Walker might lose us a GF with an error but he just as the spark that might well win us one. Funny just watching the Matty Johns show and Fletch, Hindy and Matty all just said the same about Walker that he is an attacking spark that we need and all said he played great against the Tigers. Walker is a bit of a whipping boy - bit like Des can't coach and injuries saved him. Those saying Walker was terrible again against the Tigpies again as I said just have no idea about the game. He did have a terrible game against the Knights I think and wasn't great against the Raiders but overall since his return he has just added a bit of jazz to our attack. Just calling it how I see it and yes those saying every week like a broken record how bad he is just need to find another whipping boy.

Last edited:
I am certainly not a fanboy of Walker by any stretch. The only player I might give a bit of latitude to is Jake - purely because he is all heart and soul and a brutal defender and I love that style of player. Hopefully most on here know I call it as I sees it. I try to analyse the game not from any predetermined thoughts but based on what I see and I suppose the small amount of knowledge I have from playing for 37 years plus a couple of stints coaching. I also hope most on here will also acknowledge that I am quick to admit error in my views.... ie my calls to move on Garrick, Parker, Croker etc after 4 games. There are any number of times my view on here has been ill conceived which I freely admit. So Walker as every player besides maybe Jake lol will get a bake from me when he deserves it. Is he defensively perfect - no way. I am hoping his defense might pick up with more games under his belt. Can he make mistakes in attack and take wrong options - absolutely. But despite what others on here say he is a high high quality player. Yes he is a bit of rocks and diamonds - when things go well - he is fabulous - when things go bad he is ordinary. But his high quality days are far far in advance of what the majority of players would be happy with as a good game. He just has the x factor. If we are going to win us a Premiership this year and if we are to beat the Storm and Panthers we just can't play conservative and go set for set with no willingness to chance our arm. We just simply must try and pull them apart with attacking brilliance. The Storm and to a lesser degree the Panthers can play tough safe football all day every day. We are going to need that x factor. Lawnton is a super player and will be great against the Eels and Rabbits etc but he wont put on a play to pull something out of the fire when we need iot. Walker might lose us a GF with an error but he just as the spark that might well win us one. Funny just watching the Matty Johns show and Fletch, Hindy and Matty all just said the same about Walker that he is an attacking spark that we need and all said he played great against the Tigers. Walker is a bit of a whipping boy - bit like Des can't coach and injuries saved him. Those saying Walker was terrible again against the Tigpies again as I said just have no idea about the game. He did have a terrible game against the Knights I think and wasn't great against the Raiders but overall since his return he has just added a bit of jazz to our attack. Just calling it how I see it and yes those saying every week like a broken record how bad he is just need to find another whipping boy.
Can a player be "high high quality" and " rocks and diamonds" ?
I can't take that.

I am certainly not a fanboy of Walker by any stretch. The only player I might give a bit of latitude to is Jake - purely because he is all heart and soul and a brutal defender and I love that style of player. Hopefully most on here know I call it as I sees it. I try to analyse the game not from any predetermined thoughts but based on what I see and I suppose the small amount of knowledge I have from playing for 37 years plus a couple of stints coaching. I also hope most on here will also acknowledge that I am quick to admit error in my views.... ie my calls to move on Garrick, Parker, Croker etc after 4 games. There are any number of times my view on here has been ill conceived which I freely admit. So Walker as every player besides maybe Jake lol will get a bake from me when he deserves it. Is he defensively perfect - no way. I am hoping his defense might pick up with more games under his belt. Can he make mistakes in attack and take wrong options - absolutely. But despite what others on here say he is a high high quality player. Yes he is a bit of rocks and diamonds - when things go well - he is fabulous - when things go bad he is ordinary. But his high quality days are far far in advance of what the majority of players would be happy with as a good game. He just has the x factor. If we are going to win us a Premiership this year and if we are to beat the Storm and Panthers we just can't play conservative and go set for set with no willingness to chance our arm. We just simply must try and pull them apart with attacking brilliance. The Storm and to a lesser degree the Panthers can play tough safe football all day every day. We are going to need that x factor. Lawnton is a super player and will be great against the Eels and Rabbits etc but he wont put on a play to pull something out of the fire when we need iot. Walker might lose us a GF with an error but he just as the spark that might well win us one. Funny just watching the Matty Johns show and Fletch, Hindy and Matty all just said the same about Walker that he is an attacking spark that we need and all said he played great against the Tigers. Walker is a bit of a whipping boy - bit like Des can't coach and injuries saved him. Those saying Walker was terrible again against the Tigpies again as I said just have no idea about the game. He did have a terrible game against the Knights I think and wasn't great against the Raiders but overall since his return he has just added a bit of jazz to our attack. Just calling it how I see it and yes those saying every week like a broken record how bad he is just need to find another whipping boy.
A well-conceived post the thrust of which, I am surmising, is that our team needs a 'spark' to win a premiership.
My thoughts are that this team already has more "spark" than enough with DCE, Turbo and The Shoe backed-up by the game management professionalism of Foran.
I also note your reservation about Walker: "Walker might lose us a GF with an error..." That sentiment is why I'd prefer The LawMan to Walker.

Perspective time

Walker has natural X factor Speed and Skill to create a try and win a game out of nothing
and No game plan can ever stop the X factor that strikes out of nowhere to mesmerize any defensive game plan.

Walker is our most decorated centre
Walker won centre of the year against Quality players like Inglis
Walker has won a premiership
Walker has Played for his country
And at 26 he is at his Athletic peak and the best is yet to come

The moral of the story

A fully fit and in form Walker Rocks
is a High quality Diamonds centre

Speed Kills and the faster you go the bigger the mediocre slow striding backs you leave behind !!!
maxresdefault.jpg

A well-conceived post the thrust of which, I am surmising, is that our team needs a 'spark' to win a premiership.
My thoughts are that this team already has more "spark" than enough with DCE, Turbo and The Shoe backed-up by the game management professionalism of Foran.
I also note your reservation about Walker: "Walker might lose us a GF with an error..." That sentiment is why I'd prefer The LawMan to Walker.
Oh we have plenty of attack - Walker is that added extra certainly not Cliffy Lyons but unpredictable and plays off the cuff a bit. But yes those riding him into the ground obviously are basing the thoughts more on his off field than onfield. I am the first to agree off the field he is obviously a goose. And based on a no dheads policy that we should have he is lucky to still be around. Des believes in him it is pretty clear. Will be interesting to see how much he believes in him if he resigns him for next year or passes.

But yes those riding him into the ground obviously are basing the thoughts more on his off field than onfield.
How could you possibly know what other people base their opinions on? Maybe their opinion of Walker is based on him: being a BIG defensive liability, taking poor options with the ball, throwing poor passes, poor kicks etc.

I guess the fanboi's don't see these things happening.

Walker adds sharpness playing in the middle, variation in attack.

Playing against the good teams you need plenty of variation and he gives the team that, so far the decision In playing him in the middle has been successful.

Hopefully he is good to go against the Sharks.

Ive been in the "Walker is a liability" camp up until last week. Saw a valuable contribution from him in attack and less defensive errors. He threw his passes two steps earlier and allowed more time and space for the outside backs. I'm now sitting squarely on the fence and want to see if he can continue to warm into yet another positional shift.

I think Walker has been a revelation in the middle. I also haven't noticed these terrible games he has played. Even against the Raiders...he was our only attacking spark that night and scored a great try. Then we didn't have the ball for an hour so not sure what people were expecting him to do. He was always thrust into the halves to play his natural 'running' game that night and it was never on him to steer the ship. That was Foran's role.

Walker can be a dickhead and a soft defender at times but I think criticism of his game since his role off the bench in the middle third of the field, is amiss. Just my 2 cents worth. I respect contrary opinions.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6