'ex' Barrett's Bulldogs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Doggies played some peak BarrettBall yesterday.

Kicks out on the full.
Props kicking on the last
Dropping the ball in attacking areas
Woeful dummy half service
Bombed at least 2 tries
Brittle defensively in the middle
The list goes on.

It was a pleasure to watch, and I'm already looking forward to next week.
Panthers could put 60+ on them next week.

If we are going to blame Barrett for falling out with Taupau, Snake, Matai and others... then do we blame Toovey for falling out with Watmough, Foran, et al?

I have never seen anyone here on Silvertails blame the coach for that situation although a certain former player did so publicly.

The point I am making... in both of those situations there was a lot more going on behind the scenes at the club, some of which required difficult decisions to be made, i.e.
  • Back office instability
  • Salary Cap pressure
  • Aging roster
  • An eventual $750k Salary cap penalty over two years
  • Club in the headlines for all the wrong reasons at the time, especially with relocation discussion...

That Barrett was an outsider (and an ordinary head coach) who quit the club makes him a convenient scapegoat for everything, I find that the actual truth is more complicated.
You can’t take a set of difficult circumstances and use them as grounds for absolving responsibility for the aspects that are within a person’s control.

Toovey is probably my favourite personality in RL but I think he was culpable for some of the situation at Manly with Foran, Watmough and Gifty defecting. For a guy who was tough as nails, he was passive when it came to many aspects of his time as coach of Manly. I think he was passionate and got the players up for games in the early days, but he never evolved tactically and the players weren’t happy with some of his coaching...that was the beginning of the dramas that only got worse when he aligned himself with the Quantum faction of the board who were happy to let Gifty walk.

now that’s not all Toovey’s doing, but he wasn’t strong enough to galvanise the playing group. part of Toovey’s job was to manage relationships with his players, communicate effectively and stand in the players corner. It fell apart badly under his watch.

As for Barrett, of course he can’t work miracles and there were aspects out of his control but the parts that were within his control were handled poorly and that is why people are dirty with him.

carrying on about furniture and taking his bat and ball with him and going home was poor form. He was weak. He pissed a lot of people off for no other reason than his desire to protect himself and his career, when he had a club and it’s supporters at his mercy.

The worse the results got, the bigger his excuses were. Hasler is coaching under the same structure as Barrett and I haven’t heard him whinge about the facilities once. When we were terrible last year, he made no excuses, he got on with the job. Barrett is currently coaching under one of the heaviest financed football departments in the league and has 1 win to show for it.

Last edited:
You can’t take a set of difficult circumstances and use them as grounds for absolving responsibility for the aspects that are within a person’s control.

As for Barrett, of course he can’t work miracles and there were aspects out of his control

This is my point... I don't rate him as a head coach, but at the same time I think it's a little myopic to blame him for everything bad that happened as some people in here suggest.

That being said. Having Des put up his hand for the job at the end of 2018 was a godsend because I don't know of any other coach that was:
a) Experienced or talented enough to take our head coaching role;
b) Willing to work at our club given the situation we were in at the time.

Other than that pretty much I agree with what you said

This is my point... I don't rate him as a head coach, but at the same time I think it's a little myopic to blame him for everything wrong that happened as some people in here suggests.

That being said. Having Des put up his hand for the job at the end of 2018 was a godsend because I don't know of any other coach that was:
a) Experienced or talented enough to take our head coaching role;
b) Willing to work at our club given the situation we were in at the time.

Other than that pretty much I agree with what you said
But Barrett was the reason no other coach wanted to touch us. He aired his "grievances" through the media, before trashing the entire organisation for months after he quit. Then he used the media again to claim credit in 2019.

He sh1t all over the club to mask his own inadequacy. Now, Baz is being exposed as a fraud once more, and the excuses are flowing.

Last edited:
Here's a prediction for the Super coaches next press conference after the panthers game....

Excuse #348
They were just too good, we just couldn't match them, the caliber of player they have, when you look at their roster and then look at ours we just couldn't compete.

he may even throw in, I knew what was coming, I spent a lot of time working with them their attack is a well drilled machine... ( he will have a masked attempt to even take some of the panthers attack as his own doing).. that would be hilarious..

Here's a TIP TBag- yes your side cant compete on the scoreboard and more than likely will get beaten but get them to WORK as a TEAM and defend for each other like this is their grand final, a chance to show the football world that they can play and you can coach, get your troops UP for the match, show them that this game can be a turning point for all of their careers and for their club, send them out with a roaring speech that will have them hungry to make every tackle, run hard on every hit up and make those 1% plays with true grit and vigor.

Sadly even though I a mere architect who has no idea how to coach a footy side can see thats what this next game for the bulldogs can and should be.

BUT reality is your a myth and that roaring speech to get your team up will be more of a whimper, a grab of the crotch and that zoolander pose as you greet the team back in after the siren and order them to meet up for a drink (and a few bar pushups) to go over a post match revue.

Im actually feeling sorry for the dogs (NOT) and I'm getting as much joy out of watching the dismal dogs week in week out as I am watching the mighty eagles soar...without the gardener!

Here's a prediction for the Super coaches next press conference after the panthers game....

Excuse #348
They were just too good, we just couldn't match them, the caliber of player they have, when you look at their roster and then look at ours we just couldn't compete.

They are a great team that I assembled and helped build into what they are today, thats what we are building towards here. With this season and the upcoming off season we are building into and will be competing with the Panthers with the plans I have in place.

:p:p:p:p

SuperCoach excuse #347
We are not fit enough. We should have won this game same as last week but due to fatigue we are making errors and its costing us.. it’s just not good enough..

So he is basically admitting his players have only enough fitness for 15 minutes game time because that's when the rot set in.
Poor poor poor ass coach.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8