'ex' Barrett's Bulldogs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Remembering of course that we booted out a club legend in 2015 with a year left on his contract after he missed the finals. But we didn't blame him for the type of off-field and recruitment issues that people squarely pin on Barrett. Or do we?
I'm ok for Tooves to share the blame for "off-field and recruitment issues" that occurred during his tenure. Please list them.

,he does have a lot of players that seem to stay quite loyal to him and follow him around (even though they often are rejected by their clubs).
No offense buddy...but who? Certainly not these guys.

Corey Waddell, who was probably not wanted anywhere else.

Matt Burton, that Penrith could not fit in their cap or 17? Signed for BIG money at the Dogs.

Cotric, signed for BIG money .

The Fox, ditto.

There is the other 2 APPARENTLY going there from Penrith but once again, i'm sure money is the lure, not Barrett.

I see the Dogs failing miserably under Barrett and then being left with half a dozen overpaid players that will ruin their cap balance for 5 or more years.

He has failed numerous times. As C-C of the Goosters in ‘79.
And just remember who recommended him to Bozo.

I still say that Phil Gould sold Barrett's virtues to Bozo simply to get him the hell out of Penrith before he stuffed even more things up after he had coached the reigning U/20's premiers to a 9th place finish. And what better place to send him than the hated Manly? From what we know, Gus was pretty much on the phone to Bozo singing about Barrett's coaching ability the moment it became clear that Tooves was on borrowed time as our coach.

Selling Zoolander to Bozo and Manly became a 2-fold win for Gus. It got Barrett away from Penrith without having to sack him and cause a rift in their personal friendship, and it did a number on Manly.
Fulton was keen on Barrett since the latter’s playing days, so I doubt if it was a hard sell on Gould’s part.

I wonder what the Fulton-Toovey relationship is like these days? My guess, non-existent.

Blaming every single failing or bad news story from the club between 2016-18 on Barrett, and attributing every success (i.e. 2017) to other people is really taking the easy option.

Remembering of course that we booted out a club legend in 2015 with a year left on his contract after he missed the finals. But we didn't blame him for the type of off-field and recruitment issues that people squarely pin on Barrett. Or do we?
Well this is what Kristy Foulton said:
“History will not be rewritten, no way. I sit back and watch and read people take credit for many things and it’s hard to digest at times because I know who has been and continues to be instrumental in driving a lot of the change behind the scenes but I won’t accept this at all. Is he kidding? His arrogance and ego nearly tore the place apart."
After Barrett left and tried to claim he left Manly in a good place.

I wonder what the Fulton-Toovey relationship is like these days? My guess, non-existent.
At the end of the day what will always exist in our Legendary clubs history books is ...

Bob Fulton will always remain our One only Incomparable Immortal

And Toovey will always remain one of our Greatest Manly legends

gettyimages-71151544-1024x1024.jpg

Didn't the Turbos love him though ?? That was the rhetoric flying around at the time. And DCE was on the record as being a big supporter of Trent. So he had a clique going of some description.

The moral of Trent's love triangle story with his players ....

A head coach may be able to have a clique going off the field with his players
But unless he makes his players click on the field he is a failure

2018 Trents Solo (So Low) year after he fell out and failed without the Incomparable Immortal

1Eastern Suburbs colours.svg Sydney Roosters2416081542361+18134
2Melbourne colours.svg Melbourne Storm2416081536363+17334
3South Sydney colours.svg South Sydney Rabbitohs2416081582437+14534
4Cronulla colours.svg Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks2416081519423+9634
5Penrith Panthers square flag icon with 2017 colours.svg Penrith Panthers2415091517461+5632
6Brisbane colours.svg Brisbane Broncos2415091556500+5632
7St. George colours.svg St. George Illawarra Dragons2415091519472+4732
8New Zealand colours.svg New Zealand Warriors2415091472447+2532
9Wests Tigers colours.svg Wests Tigers24120121377460−8326
10Canberra colours.svg Canberra Raiders24100141563540+2322
11Newcastle colours.svg Newcastle Knights2490151414607−19320
12Canterbury colours.svg Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs2480161428474−4618
13North Queensland colours.svg North Queensland Cowboys2480161449521−7218
14Gold Coast Titans colours.svg Gold Coast Titans2480161472582−11018
15Manly Sea Eagles colours.svg Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles2470171500622−12216
16Parramatta colours.svg Parramatta Eels2460181374550−17614

I'm ok for Tooves to share the blame for "off-field and recruitment issues" that occurred during his tenure. Please list them.

If we are going to blame Barrett for falling out with Taupau, Snake, Matai and others... then do we blame Toovey for falling out with Watmough, Foran, et al?

I have never seen anyone here on Silvertails blame the coach for that situation although a certain former player did so publicly.

The point I am making... in both of those situations there was a lot more going on behind the scenes at the club, some of which required difficult decisions to be made, i.e.
  • Back office instability
  • Salary Cap pressure
  • Aging roster
  • An eventual $750k Salary cap penalty over two years
  • Club in the headlines for all the wrong reasons at the time, especially with relocation discussion...

That Barrett was an outsider (and an ordinary head coach) who quit the club makes him a convenient scapegoat for everything, I find that the actual truth is more complicated.

C-B have never really recovered from the end of the Peter Moore era. Sure, they won another title after he died. However their overall trajectory has taken them downwards and away from their glory days of the 80s and 90s.

They’re now into the ‘desperate measures’ phase of their club’s history.

No offense buddy...but who? Certainly not these guys.

Corey Waddell, who was probably not wanted anywhere else.

Matt Burton, that Penrith could not fit in their cap or 17? Signed for BIG money at the Dogs.

Cotric, signed for BIG money .

The Fox, ditto.

There is the other 2 APPARENTLY going there from Penrith but once again, i'm sure money is the lure, not Barrett.

I see the Dogs failing miserably under Barrett and then being left with half a dozen overpaid players that will ruin their cap balance for 5 or more years.
Im not sure it just seems that he’s had a few (probably wrong). Off my head he had Lewis Brown, Koroisau, isaac john jump from penrith. Then he had myles join dce (who as a friend most likely wouldn’t have endorsed barrett unless he liked barrett as a person). Then barrett signs with penrith and Api chooses them over a bigger money deal at dogs (other factors as well eg. Dogs are ****house)

But yeah, that’s it. And to be honest I don’t really think what I thought anymore. Barrett has no value

That Barrett was an outsider (and an ordinary head coach) who quit the club makes him a convenient scapegoat for everything, I find that the actual truth is more complicated.
There is nothing complicated about Trent's Big Ego and his Inability to deliver as head coach
The rest of your points are purely academic feathered friend

The moral of the story ...
You can not defend the indefensible

If we are going to blame Barrett for falling out with Taupau, Snake, Matai and others... then do we blame Toovey for falling out with Watmough, Foran, et al?

I have never seen anyone here on Silvertails blame the coach for that situation although a certain former player did so publicly.

The point I am making... in both of those situations there was a lot more going on behind the scenes at the club, some of which required difficult decisions to be made, i.e.
  • Back office instability
  • Salary Cap pressure
  • Aging roster
  • An eventual $750k Salary cap penalty over two years
  • Club in the headlines for all the wrong reasons at the time, especially with relocation discussion...

Mention some good points but what can not be that disputed is the very poor form and attitude by Baz during and on his exit, to the playing group and club . Lost any even partial respect after that .

Many gave dog Barrett his first grade coaching debut.

He repaid the club but quitting mid season, earning half a year of gardening leave. Money that could have been better spent on anything other than him.

The wooden spoon will be his first and only coaching trophy. Never a more deserving recipient.

SuperCoach excuse #347
We are not fit enough. We should have won this game same as last week but due to fatigue we are making errors and its costing us.. it’s just not good enough..

Answer: isn’t it the coaches job to get his team fit enough and have the basic skills down. And why on earth would SuperCoach take good tag along mate.. the bearded one Ferris to his next gig after he’s proven failures at the Titan and with Manly.. the so called super strength and conditioning coach that thought pissing up at the local and getting involved in punch ups was part of a teams strength and conditioning regime... give me a break SuperCoach.. perfect scenario of being out of your depth in the big league, heres a good idea ...let me sign up my pal that did stuff all for my players fitness levels at manly and also got involved in a punch up on a team session.. what could go wrong
1-10 that’sa start

SuperCoach excuse #347
We are not fit enough. We should have won this game same as last week but due to fatigue we are making errors and its costing us.. it’s just not good enough..

Answer: isn’t it the coaches job to get his team fit enough and have the basic skills down. And why on earth would SuperCoach take good tag along mate.. the bearded one Ferris to his next gig after he’s proven failures at the Titan and with Manly.. the so called super strength and conditioning coach that thought pissing up at the local and getting involved in punch ups was part of a teams strength and conditioning regime... give me a break SuperCoach.. perfect scenario of being out of your depth in the big league, heres a good idea ...let me sign up my pal that did stuff all for my players fitness levels at manly and also got involved in a punch up on a team session.. what could go wrong
1-10 that’sa start
Dan Ferris strikes again.

Doggies played some peak BarrettBall yesterday.

Kicks out on the full.
Props kicking on the last
Dropping the ball in attacking areas
Woeful dummy half service
Bombed at least 2 tries
Brittle defensively in the middle
The list goes on.

It was a pleasure to watch, and I'm already looking forward to next week.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8